The expression"The rest is up to Allah" is not correct

Living Soul

:salam2:

How correct is it to say, “I have done my best and the rest is up to Allaah”?.

Praise be to Allaah.

This expression is not correct, because it means that the one who does that is relying upon himself first of all.

Saying, “I have done my best and I ask Allaah for help” is correct. Perhaps when a person says, “I have done my best and the rest is up to Allaah,” he means what I have mentioned, i.e., I have done what I can and what I cannot do is up to Allaah. But the basis of this expression is wrong, rather he should say, “I have done my best and I ask Allaah for help.”

Fatwa of Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) in Majallat al-Hibah, issue no. 50, p. 17.

:wasalam::hijabi:

Muslim_Gurl

Thank You Allah!
Walaykumu salaam
JazakAllahu khayr :hearts:
Sister, I have a question. Is it wrong to say "I have done my best and I leave the rest to Allah"? Or does that just mean the same thing lol

Thanks

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:,

sorry but i disagree. its not i am arguing with scholars (Allah forbid). i have full respect for salafi ulama. i know my knowledge is nothing compared to them.

prophet :saw2: said "Tie your camel first, then put your trust in Allah" (At-Tirmidhi).

so if i say "I have done my best and the rest is up to Allaah”, it could mean *i have done my work and now i trust upon Allah.* whts wrong with that?

correct me if i am wrong and in error. may Allah overlook our mistakes. Ameen

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
sis i think that means the same thing..........just that the wording is different:)

let's see if someone else can answer better:)

jazakallah kahira for sharing this fatwa sister.:)

Muslim_Gurl

Thank You Allah!
sis i think that means the same thing..........just that the wording is different:)

let's see if someone else can answer better:)

jazakallah kahira for sharing this fatwa sister.:)

Ohh okay...this is a bit confusing though. Like brother ahmed_indian said, the expression "The rest is up to Allah" is like saying "I put my trust in Allah"...except different wordings, no?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

sorry but i disagree. its not i am arguing with scholars (Allah forbid). i have full respect for salafi ulama. i know my knowledge is nothing compared to them.

prophet :saw2: said "Tie your camel first, then put your trust in Allah" (At-Tirmidhi).

so if i say "I have done my best and the rest is up to Allaah”, it could mean *i have done my work and now i trust upon Allah.* whts wrong with that?

"I have done my best and the rest is up to Allaah”

This expression is not correct, because it means that the one who does that is relying upon himself first of all.

Whereas “I have done my best and I ask Allaah for help.” , you are relying completely on Allah subhaana waa ta'ala.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

good point brother,you are considering the niyat thingy:).....
of course ppl dont say"i've done my best and leave the rest t ALLAH"to show that they have more faith in themselves than their CREATOR....most ppl say this when they mean to show trust in ALLAH like you said but if it may give someone else the impression that the person believes in himself more then ALLAH,well may it should be avoided then...........to remove doubts i mean....

^^^^this whole thing looks confusing to me hope you understood my point:confused:

Muslim_Gurl

Thank You Allah!
good point brother,you are considering the niyat thingy:).....
of course ppl dont say"i've done my best and leave the rest t ALLAH"to show that they have more faith in themselves than their CREATOR....most ppl say this when they mean to show trust in ALLAH like you said but if it may give someone else the impression that the person believes in himself more then ALLAH,well may it should be avoided then...........to remove doubts i mean....

^^^^this whole thing looks confusing to me hope you understood my point:confused:

But how are you relying on yourself when you say "I leave the rest to Allah"?

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
But how are you relying on yourself when you say "I leave the rest to Allah"?
sis read the fatwa again
you mention yourself doing the best first when you say:

“I have done my best"

then you say:

"the rest is up to Allaah"

it's like you are giving priority to your abilities over ALLAH's choice....... dunno how else to explain.....but i think aperson's niyat matters alot:)

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
why not go for the best instead of better or good:)

very right but why make things tough, difficult and confusing when Islam came to make life easier?

in our place we say: (main ne apna kaam kar diya, aage Allah ki marzi) i.e. i have done my work, now it is Allah's wish.

we dont mean that we are trusting ourselves or thinking we are more mighty than Allah (na'oozubillah).

we just mean that as needed, we have done our work. if Allah wills, He will make it happen otherwise it will not happen.