The Five Animals it is Permissible to Kill

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wabarakatuhu,

The Five Animals it is Permissible to Kill​

Reference: Mura’aat al Mafateeh by al Mubarakfooree

"Five animals that are malicious and permissible to kill, whether in the Haram or without;

1. the rabid/vicious dog, [Scholars have included all types of predatory animals such as lions, wolves, leopards etc… ]

Al Haafidh ibn Hajar stated: The dog has the qualities of both the tame and wild animal, it is as if it is made up of both. It has benefits such as guarding and hunting, it can track a scent and follow tracks, it sleeps lightly, it is loving and has the ability to learn – which other animals don’t. It is said that the first person to use a dog for guarding is Nooh – ‘Alayhi as Salaam'

2. the crow, [in some narrations; the crow that is black and white.]

3. the kite,

4. the scorpion,

and 5. the rat.

At Turbeeshtee stated: "Each one of these is Faasiq, and what is meant is their malice and the abundant harm they cause."

"They are to be killed whether in or out of the Haram…"

Meaning whether a person is in a state of Ihraam or not, [other scholars explained it as whether you are inside the borders of the Haram or not].

At Turbeeshtee stated: "These five were specified due to the harm they cause and the venom that some of them carry, as Allah has knowledge of their harms. Or that they cause more harm to mankind than good, and are quick to destroy things. Mankind is also unable to repel them and be safe from them, because some of them can fly and therefore cannot be caught. Others hide in holes beneath the ground; waiting for an opportunity to presents itself, it would then rush to cause harm, and if it feels it is being pursued, it remains motionless in its hiding place. Others cannot be prevented from harm, rather they continuously attack like an enemy. They may attack one who is trying to stay away from them just as readily as they would attack one who is pursuing them. Likewise they have the ability to attack mankind because they live amongst them, in contrast to other wild animals who stay away from towns and cities and remain in their own environments, which enables mankind to take due precaution of them…

The Hadeeth was collected by both Al Bukhaaree and Muslim.

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
salam aleikum wa rahmatulahy wa barakatuh,

Thank you for the post dear brother. Wich reminded me of a question that i have for some time: how about the insects, cockroaches...i finded some in my kitchen and i couldnt let them get near the food...so...i killed them with a spray...:shymuslima1:

Just one i let him free off the window...i made sins by this ?...

May Allah guides us all, ameen

:salam2:

Ershad

Thank you for the post dear brother. Wich reminded me of a question that i have for some time: how about the insects, cockroaches...i finded some in my kitchen and i couldnt let them get near the food...so...i killed them with a spray...:shymuslima1:

Walaikkum Assalam wa rahamatullahi wabarakatuhu,

Al-Nawawi said:

According to the scholars, the vermin of the earth such as snakes, scorpions, dung beetles, cockroaches, rats etc., are haraam. This is the view of Abu Haneefah, Ahmad and Dawood.

Al-Shaafa’i and his companions quote as evidence for that the aayah,

“and prohibits them as unlawful Al-Khabaa’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods),”

[al-A’raaf 7:157 – interpretation of the meaning]

Reference: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/21901

If you find any insects (vermin) that might harm you, your food, your belongings, your deeds, your beliefs - then there is no harm in killing it with a insecticide. But, don't use something like fire or water to kill it.

Wassalamu Alaikkum

Hajjerr

I understand is about not killing them in a harsh, torturing manner...
Thank you for your effort.

Ershad

I think you asked if you sinned by letting it free. No, it is permissible to kill them. But, it isn't said that it is obligatory to kill them. There is a difference between what is permissible and obligatory. If you let it free, may Allah reward you for your kindness. But, if you killed it, there is no blame upon you too.

I hope it clears your doubt now.

Ershad

Yes. My mother used to tell me specifically not to kill anything using fire, water or air. And we also know that Allah will destroy the world with fire, water and Air on the day of Judgement. I am not sure, but I think only Allah has the right to kill living things with fire, water and air.

However, I would like to see some evidence. I will search if I find anything.

Hajjerr

I think you asked if you sinned by letting it free. No, it is permissible to kill them. But, it isn't said that it is obligatory to kill them. There is a difference between what is permissible and obligatory. If you let it free, may Allah reward you for your kindness. But, if you killed it, there is no blame upon you too.

I hope it clears your doubt now.

wa aleikum salam wa rahmatulahy wa barakatuh,

i was asking if i made sins by killing them, i appologise for the way i said it, i was misunderstood. The one i let him free i felt mercy, he was not near food...:)...
And if is not haram killing them when health is in danger, yes, this cleared my doubts, may Allah reward you.

Ershad

What is forbidden is killing with fire, because of the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him), according to which the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) said: “No one should punish with fire except Allaah.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (3016). The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) saw an anthill that one of the Companions had burned with fire and he said: “No one should punish with fire except the Lord of fire.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (2675), classed as saheeh by al-Nawawi in Riyadh al-Saaliheen (519) and by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah (487).

But, it arises a question in my mind. Do the modern weapons like bombs and missiles which uses fire to kill people fall under this category? Anyway, this knowledge is totally not required for me.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..

Using insecticide is far from harmless :p it affects the insects nervous system. observe the roach next time you zap it. it will have almost an epileptic fit before it dies.... shame :(
Im kidding - i dont feel sorry for them.. besides, even if they FEEL, its only a few seconds... they can spread disease if they get into food etc... laying their eggs and so on. it can be quite a nuisance... i hate roaches.. eww!