Serious The food of KSA halal or haraam ?

Sawdah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
Dear brothers and sisters, I had a major concern some time ago. The last time I went to umrah, I heard that the chicken and meat that is being consumed in Saudi Arabia (makkah and madina) is being imported from Brazil. Since I live in a portuguese country, the sheikhs here went to Brazil and they have confirmed that all the animals that are slaugtered there are haraam. I also read many articles about it, so my conclusion its that all brasilian meat is haraam. So this kept thinking that how can Saudi Arabia ( A major islamic country) import things that are haraam ?
So, I researched about it and I found this article by Mufti Abdullah which clarified things for me ..

http://www.halalhmc.org/userfiles/3.pdf

I hope that everyone reads this article .. And if anyone here has more information about this, please share it and correct me if I'm wrong ..

Allah knows best !

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
All the chicken imported here in the UAE also comes from Brazil. They have a 'halal' sticker but if they are not slaughtered Islmamically then it's a cause for concern.

I suppose at the end of the day the powers that be do not care about these things, or are they not aware? Scary indeed.

SonOfAdam

Staff member
Even if it comes from Brazil they are still the people of the book and we are allowed to eat their meat. I consider any meat in a Muslim country halal, even if it is from McDonald's, you should just assume it is halal inshallah- how can you track the meat in front of you back to its slaughter; even if it was slaughtered that day down the street, you still could not know. FYI, it would be very rude to ask a Muslim if their meat is halal or not. You should just say bismillah and eat it inshallah. Don't make the din hard on yourself. I was on a stict halal/zabiyha diet in the USA for 10+ years, but I was OK with my kids eating other foods from McDonald's and realized if I believe it is OK for them, then it is OK for me too. There are differences of opinions on this, some scholars say don't eat it but most say it is ok to eat. If it is easy for you (like it was for me) then don't eat it, but if it is too hard (for you and your family etc.) then eat it. And if you are a guest at any Muslims house (practicing or not), you should definitely eat their meat without asking them any questions. If you are traveling then you should definitely eat well to stay strong and healthy which will be important if you run into a conflict (mugger, get lost, etc.) or fall ill due to malnutrition or sickness (some older people may even die if they do not take care of themselves).

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Narrated `Aisha:
Some people said, "O Allah's Messenger ()! Meat is brought to us by some people and we are not sure whether the name of Allah has been mentioned on it or not (at the time of slaughtering the animals)." Allah's Messenger () said (to them), "Mention the name of Allah and eat it."

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 2057
In-book reference : Book 34, Hadith 11
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 3, Book 34, Hadith 273

Sawdah

http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=2492&CATE=127

Narrated An-Nu'man bin Bashir:
I heard Allah's Messenger () saying, 'Both legal and illegal things are evident but in between them there are doubtful (suspicious) things and most of the people have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from these suspicious things saves his religion and his honor. And whoever indulges in these suspicious things is like a shepherd who grazes (his animals) near the Hima (private pasture) of someone else and at any moment he is liable to get in it. (O people!) Beware! Every king has a Hima and the Hima of Allah on the earth is His illegal (forbidden) things. Beware! There is a piece of flesh in the body if it becomes good (reformed) the whole body becomes good but if it gets spoilt the whole body gets spoilt and that is the heart.
حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو نُعَيْمٍ، حَدَّثَنَا زَكَرِيَّاءُ، عَنْ عَامِرٍ، قَالَ سَمِعْتُ النُّعْمَانَ بْنَ بَشِيرٍ، يَقُولُ سَمِعْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَقُولُ ‏ "‏ الْحَلاَلُ بَيِّنٌ وَالْحَرَامُ بَيِّنٌ، وَبَيْنَهُمَا مُشَبَّهَاتٌ لاَ يَعْلَمُهَا كَثِيرٌ مِنَ النَّاسِ، فَمَنِ اتَّقَى الْمُشَبَّهَاتِ اسْتَبْرَأَ لِدِيِنِهِ وَعِرْضِهِ، وَمَنْ وَقَعَ فِي الشُّبُهَاتِ كَرَاعٍ يَرْعَى حَوْلَ الْحِمَى، يُوشِكُ أَنْ يُوَاقِعَهُ‏.‏ أَلاَ وَإِنَّ لِكُلِّ مَلِكٍ حِمًى، أَلاَ إِنَّ حِمَى اللَّهِ فِي أَرْضِهِ مَحَارِمُهُ، أَلاَ وَإِنَّ فِي الْجَسَدِ مُضْغَةً إِذَا صَلَحَتْ صَلَحَ الْجَسَدُ كُلُّهُ، وَإِذَا فَسَدَتْ فَسَدَ الْجَسَدُ كُلُّهُ‏.‏ أَلاَ وَهِيَ الْقَلْبُ ‏"‏‏.‏
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 52
In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 45
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 1, Book 2, Hadith 50

I think the brothers have some valid points. It is difficult to track down the food from the slaughter house to the freezer. On the other hand, we shouldn't be very careless either. We must have a 50/50 approach. Firstly, try to cook your food. Secondly, be aware of the stickers on your local halal meat shops and do research on the companies. Avoid fast food as much as possible (it isn't that good for health either). Limit your meat supply, add vegetables and soups in our diets. (More healthy living). Insh Allah intending/showing some effort towards our deen will be rewarded by Allah Insh Allah(swt).

Sawdah

Nowdays, Searching for halal food is a jihaad for us muslims.
In Shaa Allah, we will get rewarded for refraining ourselves from eating doubtful food.
May Allah help us !

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Nowdays, Searching for halal food is a jihaad for us muslims.
In Shaa Allah, we will get rewarded for refraining ourselves from eating doubtful food.
May Allah help us !

SubhanAllah, this is so true. I just came back from the pharmacy, to find that mostly all the vitamins and supplements I used to consume, or someone in my family, or intended to buy, have animal products, in particular gelatine. Calcium supplements come from animal bones, fish oil capsules are coated in gelatine, chewable vitamins, whether multi or the simpler hair and nail supplements all have one form of animal product or another. So, it's on my plate to get this info around, as I know so many people who rely on supplements.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

^ There are bound to be alternatives. Too many vegans exist now in the West, and they demand their rights. I'm sure you'll be able to find alternative pharmacy-items online at least which are halal and ok to use. Might be a struggle to hunt them down, but inshaAllah, I'm sure they exist.

Just and inside about gelatin. I will like to tell our bro/sis in islam to be very aware when buying products to see if any gelatin in present. Basically gelatin is made by "boiling" skin, tendons and ligaments of cows and pigs. We must strive to avoid such things for the least. I myself, will try to be more aware and read the ingredients before putting in yougurt, ice cream, candies in my cart. Link below is a quick read about how gelatin is actually made;

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Gelatin.html

John Smith

Narrated `Aisha:
Some people said, "O Allah's Messenger ()! Meat is brought to us by some people and we are not sure whether the name of Allah has been mentioned on it or not (at the time of slaughtering the animals)." Allah's Messenger () said (to them), "Mention the name of Allah and eat it."

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 2057
In-book reference : Book 34, Hadith 11
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 3, Book 34, Hadith 273

This is the clear answer to any doubt.