~ The Greatest Generation ~

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

This is a great thread!! Gonna wait for next questions - (girly peppy anime smiley removed)

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

This is a great thread!! Gonna wait for next questions

Wa-alaykum assalam wa rahmatullaah,

The answer to the following set of clues is currently being looked into, do contribute suggestions, inshaAllaah, no need to wait around at all:

1)Her(yes, a sahaabiyah again) first husband was one of the sons of one of the Khulafaa'ur-raashideen.

2)He, her first husband, was killed on the day of Ta'if.

3)Her last husband was first married to the daughter of one of the Khulafaa'ur-raashideen.

Who was she?

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Actually, I just found out I won't be getting near a computer anytime soon.. So..*shrug*

1)Her(yes, a sahaabiyah again) first husband was one of the sons of one of the Khulafaa'ur-raashideen.

2)He, her first husband, was killed on the day of Ta'if.

3)Her last husband was first married to the daughter of one of the Khulafaa'ur-raashideen.

Who was she?

*I honestly tried to not add in 'big' hints..and that^ is the result!=) Oh well..
Along with the answer, I want the name of the first husband and the how he was killed. And also, the name of her last husband.
PS. I think the husbands in this generation should learn from the said person's 'first' husband. He was just a...Maasha'Allah shaa`ir(in my eyes atleast=))
It's Atika bint nufail right!

The first husband was Abdulrahman bin Abi bakr. [I believe this loving companion a great man in your eyes.]

He last husband was Muhammad Ibn Abu Bakr,

She was Extremely beautiful and also called Zawjat al-Shuhada', the wife of martyrs. This is because she was married to four great shahabis ( Umer and Zubair bin ul awwam along with the two mentioned above)and they were all martyred. When Muhammad bin Abu Bakr was killed in egypt she refused to marry anymore. She once said, "If I were to marry all the inhabitants of the earth, they would all be killed."

I believe I read about her in a thread here, I'll search for it Inshaa'Allaah.

Wa alaykumasalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu . . .

P.S. hey sister suhanah, even if I'm wrong, say it's right. It's gonna be BIG BIG shame to share all the info and my guess is incorrect *grins*

EDITED:

Got it! Atika bint Nufail

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As-salaamu `Alaikum warahmatullaah!

LOL @ say I'm right even if I'm not! Well unfortunately....kidding! You're right ukhty Maasha'allah! She's `Atikah bint-Nufayl. And yess...Abdurrahmaan is that *masha'allah* Poet i was talking 'bout. Except you didn't mention how he passed away. He was hit by an arrow. As for the last husband, according to the narration I read, he was the(possessive) Zubair ibn `awwam(who was also married to Asmaa' bint Abu bark) hence the third Q. But I double checked and it turns out the last husband was Muhammad.. But either ways, you got it right...

I'm ready for your set of clues... =)

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
As-salaamu `Alaikum warahmatullaah!

LOL @ say I'm right even if I'm not! Well unfortunately....kidding! You're right ukhty Maasha'allah! She's `Atikah bint-Nufayl. And yess...Abdurrahmaan is that *masha'allah* Poet i was talking 'bout. Except you didn't mention how he passed away. He was hit by an arrow. As for the last husband, according to the narration I read, he was the(possessive) Zubair ibn `awwam(who was also married to Asmaa' bint Abu bark) hence the third Q. But I double checked and it turns out the last husband was Muhammad.. But either ways, you got it right...

I'm ready for your set of clues... =)

I thought people can read that bit from the link*smile*

Well I planned to post some clues, but not now. I appoint sister Al-fajr for the job Inshaa'Allaah.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Well I planned to post some clues, but not now. I appoint sister Al-fajr for the job Inshaa'Allaah.

Assalamua'alaykum wa rahmatullah,

I have a set of clues in mind. But since it is Sister Al-Fajr's turn, I'll have to ask if its OK for me to take her turn.

. . or it'll be great if she go first and me; next. :)

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamua'alaykum wa rahmatullah,

I have a set of clues in mind. But since it is Sister Al-Fajr's turn, I'll have to ask if its OK for me to take her turn.

. . or it'll be great if she go first and me; next. :)
Please go ahead and post your clues, I will save mine for another time, plus I may be a bit busy to follow it up for now.

BarakAllaahu feeki.

Wa-alaykum assalam

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Thank you Sister Al-Fajr. And a special thank you to Sister Suhaanah for directing me to this thread :)

1. She (yes, a sahabiyah) was one of the first Ansar women to embrace Islaam.

2. When a good looking, wealthy man proposed her, her answer to that man (who later become her husband) was: "O (name of husband), a man like you could not be turned away, but you are a disbelieving man, and I am a Muslim woman. It is not permitted for me to marry you, but if you were to embrace Islam, that would be my dowry (mahr), and I would ask you for nothing more." He later embrace Islam and they got married.

3. When their son died, being a very pious woman; her consolation to her husband was: O (name of husband), do you think that if a people lent something to a household, then asked for it back, do they have the right not to return it?' He said, `No.' She said, `Then resign yourself to the death of your son.' Her husband became angry and said, `You let me indulge myself and then you tell me about my son!

4. Extra clues: In a saheeh hadeeth by Muslim, it was said that the Prophet :saw: entered Paradise and heard footsteps. When asked who's footsteps was it? It was the footsteps of _ _ _ (this Sahabiyah).

P.S: The name of the husband is left out but it'll be great if you can also include who her husband is.

I'll post stories about her after the clues are solved. (I'm sure it's not a hard one!)

:wasalam:

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
Thank you Sister Al-Fajr. And a special thank you to Sister Suhaanah for directing me to this thread :)

2. When a good looking, wealthy man proposed her, her answer to that man (who later become her husband) was: "O (name of husband), a man like you could not be turned away, but you are a disbelieving man, and I am a Muslim woman. It is not permitted for me to marry you, but if you were to embrace Islam, that would be my dowry (mahr), and I would ask you for nothing more." He later embrace Islam and they got married.

3. When their son died, being a very pious woman; her consolation to her husband was: O (name of husband), do you think that if a people lent something to a household, then asked for it back, do they have the right not to return it?' He said, `No.' She said, `Then resign yourself to the death of your son.' Her husband became angry and said, `You let me indulge myself and then you tell me about my son!

4. Extra clues: In a saheeh hadeeth by Muslim, it was said that the Prophet :saw: entered Paradise and heard footsteps. When asked who's footsteps was it? It was the footsteps of _ _ _ (this Sahabiyah).

P.S: The name of the husband is left out but it'll be great if you can also include who her husband is.

I'll post stories about her after the clues are solved. (I'm sure it's not a hard one!)

assalaamu alaykkum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh

the answer is Umm Sulaim wife of Abu Talha

Source: Sahih Bukhari Vol 2 Book 23 Hadith 388 (using Clue No. 3)

Please give me a day for preparing the clues. If you are ready with next set of clues, then kindly go ahead, insha Allah.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

That's way tooo easy!

Maa shaa'Allaah excellent thread though.

EDIT: Didn't know someone posted while I was writing- very quick of you akhee Ilyas : -)

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Excellent job brothers!

That's way tooo easy!

Way tooo easy? *sigh*. Perhaps I gave too much clues apart from not trying hard enough.

Anyways, here's the story.

Among the great Muslim women who are known for their strength of character, lofty aspirations and far-sightedness in their choice of a husband is Umm Sulaym bint Milhan, who was one of the first Ansar women to embrace Islam. She was married to Malik ibn Nadar, and bore him a son, Anas. When she embraced Islam, her husband Malik was angry with her, and left her, but she persisted in her Islam. Shortly afterwards, she heard the news of his death, and she was still in the flower of her youth. She bore it all with the hope of reward, for the sake of Allah (SWT), and devoted herself to taking care of her ten-year-old son Anas. She took him to the Prophet (PBUH), so that he could serve him (and learn from him).

One of the best young men of Madinah, one of the best-looking, richest and strongest, came to seek her hand in marriage. This was Abu Talhah - before he became Muslim. Many of the young women of Yathrib liked him because of his wealth, strength and youthful good looks, and he thought that Umm Sulaym would joyfully rush to accept his offer. But to his astonishment, she told him, "O Abu Talhah, do you not know that your god whom you worship is just a tree that grew in the ground and was carved into shape by the slave of Banu so-and-so." He said, "Of course." She said, "Do you not feel ashamed to prostrate yourself to a piece of wood that grew in the ground and was carved by the slave of Banu so-and-so?" Abu Talhah was stubborn, and hinted to her of an expensive dowry and luxurious lifestyle, but she persisted in her point of view, and told him frankly: "O Abu Talhah, a man like you could not be turned away, but you are a disbelieving man, and I am a Muslim woman. It is not permitted for me to marry you, but if you were to embrace Islam, that would be my dowry (mahr), and I would ask you for nothing more."6

He returned the following day to try to tempt her with a larger dowry and more generous gift, but she stood firm, and her persistance and maturity only enhanced her beauty in his eyes. She said to him, "O Abu Talhah, do you not know that your god whom you worship was carved by the carpenter slave of so-and-so? If you were to set it alight, it would burn." Her words came as a shock to Abu Talhah, and he asked himself, Does the Lord burn? Then he uttered the words:
"Ashhadu an la ilaha ill-Allah wa ashhadu anna Muhammadan rasul-Allah."
Then Umm Sulaym said to her son Anas, with joy flooding her entire being, "O Anas, marry me to Abu Talhah." So Anas brought witnesses and the marriage was solemnized.

Abu Talhah was so happy that he was determined to put all his wealth at Umm Sulaym's disposal, but hers was the attitude of the selfless, proud, sincere believing woman. She told him, "O Abu Talhah, I married you for the sake of Allah (SWT), and I will not take any other dowry." She knew that when Abu Talhah embraced Islam, she did not only win herself a worthy husband, but she also earned a reward from Allah (SWT) that was better than owning red camels (the most highly-prized kind) in this world, as she had heard the Prophet (PBUH) say: "If Allah (SWT) were to guide one person to Islam through you, it is better for you than owning red camels."7

6. Reported by al-Nisa'i with a sahih isnad, 6/114, Kitab al-nikah, bab al-tazwij 'ala'l-Islam.
7. Fath al-Bari, 7/476, Kitab al-maghazi, bab ghazwat Khaybar.

One of those who did reach this high level was the great Muslim woman Umm Sulaym bint Milhan, the wife of Abu Talhah al-Ansari. Her son passed away whilst Abu Talhah was travelling, and her attitude was so unique that if Imam Muslim had not reported this story we would have taken it to be a mere myth. Let us hear her son Anas ibn Malik tell the story of his remarkable mother and her unattitude:

"A son of Abu Talhah by Umm Sulaym died. Umm Sulaym told her family, `Do not tell Abu Talhah about his son until I tell him about it.' Abu Talhah came home, so she prepared dinner for him, and he ate and drank. Then she beautified herself in a way that she had never done before, and he had sexual intercourse with her. When she saw that he was satisfied, she said, `O Abu Talhah, do you think that if a people lent something to a household, then asked for it back, do they have the right not to return it?' He said, `No.' She said, `Then resign yourself to the death of your son.' Abu Talhah became angry and said, `You let me indulge myself and then you tell me about my son!' He went to the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) and told him what had happened. The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, `May Allah bless both of you for this night!' Umm Sulaym became pregnant. The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) went on a journey, and she accompanied him. Whenever the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) came back from a journey, he never entered Madinah at night. When they (the travelling-party) approached Madinah, her labour-pains started. Abu Talhah stayed with her, and the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) went on ahead to Madinah. Abu Talhah said, `O Lord, You know how I love to go out with Your Messenger when he goes out, and to come back with him when he comes back, and I have been detained, as You see.' Umm Sulaym said, `O Abu Talhah, I do not feel as much pain as I did before, so let us go on.' When they reached (Madinah), her labour-pains started again, and she gave birth to a boy. My mother said to me, `O Anas, nobody should feed him until you take him to the Messenger of Allah in the morning.' So when morning came, I took the baby to the Messenger of Allah (PBUH), and when I met him he was carrying an iron tool. When he saw me, he said, `I hope that Umm Sulaym has given birth.' I said, `Yes.' So he put down the tool and I brought the child to him and placed him in his lap. The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) called for some of the dates of Madinah. He chewed it until it became soft, then he put it in the baby's mouth and the baby began to smack his lips. The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: `See how much the Ansar love dates!' Then he wiped the baby's face and named him `Abdullah."45

How great was Umm Sulaym's faith, and how magnificent her patience and virtue! How bravely she hid her pain from her husband and endeared herself to him. She managed to conceal her grief at the loss of her beloved son and spent that time with her husband patiently hoping that by being a good wife to her husband she might earn the pleasure of Allah (SWT). This is true, deep and sincere faith.

Allah (SWT) answered the Prophet's prayer for Umm Sulaym and her husband, and she became pregnant from that night. When she was heavily pregnant, she saw her husband Abu Talhah preparing to set out on another military campaign with the Messenger of Allah (PBUH). She insisted on partaking of the honour of jihad with him alongside the Messenger of Allah (PBUH), even though she was in the later stages of pregnancy. Her husband took pity on her because of the difficulties of the journey and the heat of the desert, but he still asked the Prophet (PBUH) for permission to let her come with him, and he gave his permission because he knew her strength of character and
love of jihad.

Umm Sulaym was present when the Muslims were triumphant at Makkah, and when they were sorely tested at Hunayn. She stood firm, as solid as a rock, alongside her husband and the small group of believers around the Prophet (PBUH), even though she was pregnant, at that most difficult time when many others had fled, and she remained there until Allah (SWT) brought victory to the believers. The mujahid army returned to Madinah, and her labour began. When the pains became intense, she and her husband stayed behind for a while, but her husband prayed to his Lord in the still of night becasue he loved to go out and return with the Prophet (PBUH). Suddenly the pains ceased; she told her husband and they set out to follow the army that had gone on ahead. They caught up with them, and after they had entered Madinah, Umm Sulaym's labour pains began anew. She gave birth to a boy, and his brother on his mother's side, Anas, brought him to the Prophet (PBUH), who fed him a small amount of dates (tahnik) and named him `Abdullah. The prayer of the Prophet (PBUH) for this baby was fulfilled, as among his descendents were ten great scholars.

No doubt Allah (SWT) knew the sincerity of Umm Sulaym's faith, and conveyed the good news of Paradise to her via His Prophet (PBUH):
"I entered Paradise, and heard footsteps. I said, `Who is this?' and they told me, `It is al-Ghumaysa', the daughter of Milhan, the mother of Anas ibn Malik."46

45. Sahih Muslim, 16/11, Kitab fada'il al-Sahabah, bab fada'il Umm Sulaym.
46. See Sahih Muslim, 16/11, Kitab fada'il al-Sahabah, bab fada'il Umm Sulaym

These excerpts are from the book: "The Ideal Muslimah"

For the next clues, I think either one of you can give it out, so long that you have mutual agreement between the two of you.

Was-salaam.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
assalaamu 3laykkum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh

@akhi Tariq2005 - i beat you to it huh? hehe.. barak Allahu feek akhi..
-----
Next Set of Clues:
1) One day, when the Prophet saw him doing something which made him glad and delighted, he made the following plea: "O Allah, make his spear hit unerringly and answer his prayer."

2) When an important battle was going on and the companions of prophet pbuh were fighting, He was on his balcony;sat on a pillow and leaned upon his chest

3) 'His son spoke of his final moments: His head was upon my lap, he was passing away. I cried, but he said, "What makes You cry, my son? Allah will never torture me. I belong to Paradise!" '- what makes this sahaabi so sure of Jannah that he uttered this statement. Think! it is a nice give away

The sahaabi is very famous and commonly known. I just didn't give the most obvious clues.

P.S :- Clue number 2 may, on surface, seem to defame this noble sahaabi, but if you think a little, it is the most helping clue among the three to find the answer.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Saad ibn Abi waqaas.

I thought you said you needed a day?

Pasting the removed clues:

Jazakallah khair for the posts sister Aisha. I think I'm going to post the clues. So do I need permission for that. No? Good*Smile*.

1) She was one of the early Muslims and Muhajirs. She narrates a hadith which clears the definition of hijrah.

2) She was married to three companions, two of which were Caliphs, and two were brothers.

3) One of her sisters was married to her husband's uncle.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
It is easy. Yes. But 7 minutes is embarrassingly quick. alhamdulillah.

as far the second clue, it is on the day of Al-Qaadissiyah. the full narration goes like..

'On the balcony he sat on a pillow and leaned upon his chest. His door was left open, which meant that by the least Persian attack against his residence he would be captured, alive or dead, but he was far from being afraid or terrified.

His abscesses were bleeding and hurting him severely, but he had something else to think about. Sitting on his balcony, he was shouting, calling, and commanding. First to those in one flank to step forward towards the right, and then to those in another flank to fill out the empty spot on the left. . . Mughiirah, look forward! Jurair follow them! Nu'maan, hit! Ash`ath attack and you also, Qa'qaa'. Forward, forward, Prophet's Companions! '

EDIT:- so smart of you sister! you first posted just the answer.. and then took your time to add to your post, by "edit" option.. may be akhi Tariq should learn the trick from you.. barak Allahu feeki..

Jazak Allahu khyir.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
It is easy. Yes. But 7 minutes is embarrassingly quick. alhamdulillah.

as far the second clue, it is on the day of Al-Qaadissiyah. the full narration goes like..

Jazak Allahu khyir. go ahead with your clues sister.

I posted my clues, saw you post, edited my post, answered, then pasted my clues back. Jazakallah khair for sharing the story. Share the story to the first and last clue as well Inshaa'Allaah! Or I think it's better that I just post the link to his story.

I was planning on posting on him sometimes. For those who wish to read more about The loin's claws click the link. his story is full of interesting incidents right from the begining till the very end.

BaraakAllah fik.

EDIT:

Story behind 3rd clue:

He was blessed with success and accomplishment. Once the Prophet (PBUH) was sitting with the Companions when his eyes gazed on the horizon while listening to what was being revealed secretly and whisperingly. Then he looked at his Companions' faces and said, "A man who belongs to Paradise will soon appear." The Companions turned in all directions trying to learn, who this successful person may be. After a while, Sa'd arrived.

Later on, Abd Allah Ibn Amr Ibn Al-'Aas asked him persistently to tell him the worship or deed which made him eligible for such a reward. Sa'd told him, "Nothing more than what we all do or worship, except that I don't carry any spite or hatred towards any Muslim."

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Lol @ what happened around here.

Sister Seeking Allah's Mercy, I forgot the name of the sahabiyah but I've read it before somewhere.

I'll just wait for the answer. [Lazy mode]

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Lol @ what happened around here.

Sister Seeking Allah's Mercy, I forgot the name of the sahabiyah but I've read it before somewhere.

I'll just wait for the answer. [Lazy mode]

Well brother Ilyas just seems to has an extremely fast posting engine.

When you said any of the two brothers could post, I decided to post the clues without asking anyones permission. By the time I was done, he had already posted his clues, so I edited my post and added the answer to his clues*Smile*.

She's quiet famous. And brilliant!

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As-salaamu `alaikum warahmatullaah!

^Hey ukhty, Is she Asmaa' bint Umays ?

The two brothers she was married to were Ja`far and `Ali ibn abi Talib..
Her sister salma bint Umays married Hamzah ibn Abdul muttalib..

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Wa`alaikim salaam warahmatullaah!
Alright, here goes...

1)she [A sahaabiyah again! Keep the trend alive sisters:)] was present at the battles of Uhud, al-hudaybiyyah, khaybar, hunayn and yamama. But her most noble role was at Uhud. Why?

2) She lost her hand at the one of the battles mentioned above. Which one was it?

3) Also at one of the battles, after her son was wounded and bled profusely, she said to him, "Go and fight the people, my son!" after she bandaged his wound.