The loneliness of converts

loveislam1

Asalam alikoum
I am so sorry dear brother, I have NEVER found this lonliness in all my years of being a revert (9 years mashallah) I am a female maybe it is different from our persepctive, maybe we are more welcomed in the community and find freinds easier in general? ALlahu Alym.

My husband finds the west very lonly in general, no one visits, no one calls no one talks to one another no one walking on the streets, he misses his home country (Morocco) and has been here for 8 years but still finds the states a very lonly place to live.

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Asalaamu alaikum,

My wife and I were just talking about this the other night; I've been feeling quite alone in my struggle to accomplish Islam and experience lasting brotherhood with a righteous community. Sure during Ramadhan I am treated especially well and visit brothers, listen to the Qu'ran with them, have Halaqa with them... it's very nice, Alhamdulilah. But it seems that afterwards we always drift apart, and I dont maintain any fellowship, especially once Ramadhan is over.

My wife feels a little of this, but seems to be much better off than I've been. We think that it must have something to do with the nature of women compared to men. Women are more inclined to extend themselves for the sake of socializing and take greater account of feelings, whereas with men we're so focused on work (or school) and maintaining our seemingly infinite duties that we're forced to make socializing a lesser priority. Which is a shame because everyone needs to be a part of a consistant fellowship, with sharing, learning, accountability and fun.

I suppose that I have TTI (Alhamdulilah) but it's just not the same. InshaAllah I will find a good group of brothers soon, and maintain a fellowship with them.

WaSalaam,
Br. Ahmed

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salam alai kum reverted brothers and sisters,

I was just curious to know if you all live in and amongst a Muslim community, perhaps this could have something to do with the loneliness felt.

Salam

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

Brandon AlAbraham, are you borth reverts?

Its rare to meet a couple of reverts, mashaAllah. I know only of two other couples here in Norway, and there the men are not from Norway, one is American and the other is French, but me and my husband are both Norwegians.

loveislam1

Asalam alikoum
We just had a marriage in our masjid this sunday for a couple both converts, the bride is mexican and the groom is American mashallah , it seems that since I converted more men are coming to the religion, when I came to Islam the largest group were female, I think it still is, but now mashallah so happy to see more and more men finally coming to the Truth mashallah wa allhamdullilah

dawahforever

The one who wrote that is a brother but I am a SISTER. I'm just as lonely as he is..yes we try hard to socialize as women but it gets us nowhere..it doesn't matter how big the muslim community is, this always happens. If you are a teen though this doesn't happen as the teens don't care where you are from but with the older people they only want to hang around with people from their own country.

oumyaquine

Fière de ma religion
Salam alai kum reverted brothers and sisters,

I was just curious to know if you all live in and amongst a Muslim community, perhaps this could have something to do with the loneliness felt.

Salam

Salam,brother,you know ,even when you live in a muslim neighbourhood or community lot of reverted muslims feel very very lonely. When I reverted to islam all the muslims from the University were very kind with me,anyway when my first Ramadan arrived I felt sooooooooooooooooooooo lonely,it was awfull to break my fast by my own,even when I was invited by the sisters families I felt that it was not my place. I've been married for twelve years now,my husband is a reverted too,but even now we still feeling sooooooooo lonely. We have four children and we're used to decorate our house (balloons ,etc;)so as they won't feel this lonelyness. But even like this we are almost never invited and people won't come to our house. So, generally after Salat aîd we're alone at home. Not very festive?:hearts:

loveislam1

Asalam Alikoum sister
I am sorry I assumed based on the article that you too were male. Sorry for the assumption. Everyone finds thier group based on thier situation, teens, adults, parents, country of orgin, language, age groups

I have friends actually most of them dont have children yet but are married, I want so badly to be involved in our new muslims group for welcoming new muslims and the dawwah group because I lovee activism but I jsut dont have the time with my husband and children....

Being a convert in general and being the ONLY muslim in your family makes you lonely and misudnerstood anyway, that is where MY personal disconnect comes from is the fact that I cant relate sometimes with family (especially my father and cousins aunts etc.) because of my life stlye anyway sis I am sorry I wish I was nearer to you or that you were in my community, what do you think would make you feel less lonely? Would you like a sister to meet outside of the masjid with you or do you prefer inside the masjid? Maybe you can set something up at the masjid womens halaqa or like we do we organized an iftar every thursday to encourage the sunnah fast but to also get together, we bring pot luck dinner to the masjid and asked the imam to have lectures on that day. If you have children we have meetings at the park on the weekends and everyone comes with thier husbands and children, the men stay toghether and the women together and the children get to play, we have picnics there etc. If you arent married sister find a good muslim husband and settle down...

UmmOf3

Asalam alikoum
We just had a marriage in our masjid this sunday for a couple both converts, the bride is mexican and the groom is American mashallah , it seems that since I converted more men are coming to the religion, when I came to Islam the largest group were female, I think it still is, but now mashallah so happy to see more and more men finally coming to the Truth mashallah wa allhamdullilah
Salaam aleikum

True, I seen the same. My husband was actually the first revert I ever meet. I mean, male revert... I knew one only online.

And OumYaqine, I see that in Eid too, we are alone... But Alhamdulillah, we sisters use to have party the day after Eid or something, and thats enough for me alhamdulillah. I was married to an Algerian man before, for 7 yrs, and it was basically the same then. But ofcourse, he did not want to celebrate Eid, because he had to work, and he did not care about it, so it was same then too.

But sometimes now, as I am married to a revert, that I am more lonely... And an outcast. Women talking behind my back in the masjid in arabic, saying "poor her, she is married to a norwegian man, she should not do that, she should have married an Arab, now she can not learn islam good".. Well... Lo and behold, I learned more about islam after my divorce from a so called born muslim, than I did during the seven years I was married to him... ;)

And the worst is when they start telling me that I should have married this and that man, and I say, why, because he dont have papers or nationality... They tell me it was better if i married someone without papers to stay here, because I could help a brother for 3-4 yrs until he got permanent visa, so he could bring a wife from his country...

THAT attitude makes me sick, actually....

amira87

I love Allah
salamz

ASalaamu Alaikum

I just found this and this is exaclty how I feel...just wanted to share.

http://montrealmuslims.ca/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=7&pid=1962

WA Salaamu Alaikum

D4E:(

Hey sister, I think what is going on is that maybe she can't communicate very well with others is because she has lost of interest caused by her deppression. Inshallah she will be stronger, and may allah guide her. I went through this same situation. Especially when you are a revert to Islam and the islamic community is another ethincity.....people like to judge. Maybe that is a problem for her. I went through this when I lived in St. Paul MN......the somalian community wasn't so friendly all the time. Its hard sometimes when you are the only different one. Even though we are all equal no matter if we were raised muslim or new to Islam. I wish that we could all just treat eachother the same..........what is wrong this ummah today? Not everyone is the acts like this but I see this quite often......so don't think that I am trying to point fingers at people, I am just saying from my own experiences.

loveislam1

Salaam aleikum

True, I seen the same. My husband was actually the first revert I ever meet. I mean, male revert... I knew one only online.

And OumYaqine, I see that in Eid too, we are alone... But Alhamdulillah, we sisters use to have party the day after Eid or something, and thats enough for me alhamdulillah. I was married to an Algerian man before, for 7 yrs, and it was basically the same then. But ofcourse, he did not want to celebrate Eid, because he had to work, and he did not care about it, so it was same then too.

But sometimes now, as I am married to a revert, that I am more lonely... And an outcast. Women talking behind my back in the masjid in arabic, saying "poor her, she is married to a norwegian man, she should not do that, she should have married an Arab, now she can not learn islam good".. Well... Lo and behold, I learned more about islam after my divorce from a so called born muslim, than I did during the seven years I was married to him... ;)

And the worst is when they start telling me that I should have married this and that man, and I say, why, because he dont have papers or nationality... They tell me it was better if i married someone without papers to stay here, because I could help a brother for 3-4 yrs until he got permanent visa, so he could bring a wife from his country...

THAT attitude makes me sick, actually....

confused: :confused: :confused: that is horrible, subhanallah I was actually told the opposite on SO MANY different occasions it is reverts who care more about religion and less about culture and try to strive for teh sake of ISLAM not have any cultural baggage mashallah!
This is actually the worst thing I think I have heard in a LONG time! The nerve, One time when I was talking with some ladies at the masjid they were discussing this documentary about a woman who is a general in the AMerican army, she was off at war so long when she returned she found her husband had taken another wife, he told her about it told her that he still lvoed her and wanted to remain with both of them but also that life was lonely without her and he needed someone, she was mad at first but then understood and accepted the situation, I asked the ladies " Was this couple Muslim"? ( In know really dumb question why would any muslim be in the us army is beyond me but it was the first thing to hit my mind when iheard co wife) They said "No, they are American" I immediately perked up and said, "yes ....I am American" They looked at one another and said "you know what we mean," Yes I did, I chose Islam for my religion, and American by default, however "Americans are Muslims too" I said...lol , I am sure they didnt mean it meanly and would agree to give up being syrian for being muslim if they had to...

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Salaam aleikum

Brandon AlAbraham, are you borth reverts?

Its rare to meet a couple of reverts, mashaAllah. I know only of two other couples here in Norway, and there the men are not from Norway, one is American and the other is French, but me and my husband are both Norwegians.

WaAlaikum Salaam, Sister,

Aye we are both reverts, Alhamdulilah! We met just over 5 years ago at a Christian High-School, got engaged just over 4 years ago, and married just last year's September 25th as Muslims. Alhamdulilah. Aminah reverted a few days after I did, and a few weeks later we were married on the 3rd day of Ramadhan at our Masjid. =) And we're both from similar European herritage and Canadian citizenship.

I don't mean to sound weak or whiney, and I don't think it's because I lack social skills... I guess I must be doing something wrong in my life, and Allah SWT is testing me, keeping me from really feeling connected with my Brothers until I correct myself or learn something or... something. =/ InshaAllah, I ask Allah SWT to send good Brothers into my life and keep them there so that I have Brothers to learn from and with. Perhaps my desires are unnessesary. Perhaps I only need the Qu'ran and Muhammad PBUH and Allah SWT as my companions, and Aminah as my wife, and should be satisfied with them.

/shrug

WaAlaikum Salaam
Br. Ahmed

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

MashaAllah, Allah truly guides whom He wills...

My husband is a loner... Like you say about yourself, he dont lack social skills or anything, he does not have a bad BO or whatever, he just prefer few, but good friends, rather than many superficial friends. And he is an introverted person.

So he has a few friends, a revert from Sweden, some algerian brothers, and a brother who is an Uyghur from China. And he has some onlinefriends too.

I am an extrovert person, so I have lots of friends, alhamdulillah, and I lived in this city for more than 10 yrs, he lived here 4 yrs, since we married, he packed up and moved here, because I could not move to him, it was not an option hehe.

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum dear brothers and sisters!

I always feel very sad when I read about my dear revert brothers and sisters going through lonliness just becasue they accepted Islam as their way of life.

I know what lonliness is because I have been through it in UK for several years.

There was a time when I didnt have anyone. There were many occasions that I didn't even have a job for long periods of times.

I wished I had a job even as a volunteer, but even that didn't happen because I could not provide references.

The silence in my flat was really disturbing. Ramadans, Eids....were coming and going. The world felt very small. The lonliness was so bad that I feared if ...the worst worst happens, nobody would know for weeks or months.

I didn't have internet nor I could afford it.

Alhamdulellah, life is much different now in almost every way.

I know from experience how terrible it can be to feel lonely.

I am saddened by the lonliness that sisters dawahforever, Oumyaquine and Ummof3 and brother Brandon Al'Abraham are going through.

May Allah swt provide you with good friends and neighbours who can help you live happier lives and achieve closeness to Allah swt.

I would be so happy if I were near any of those brothers who feel lonely.
Please do inform me if you find a lonely brother in or around Manchester, UK.

Lastly, I would indicate to a hadith in which prophet pbuh mentioned that good company is better than lonliness and lonliness is better than bad company.
I hope someone can find the exact hadith

Wassalamu alaikum

oumyaquine

Fière de ma religion
Assalamu alaikum dear brothers and sisters!

I always feel very sad when I read about my dear revert brothers and sisters going through lonliness just becasue they accepted Islam as their way of life.

I know what lonliness is because I have been through it in UK for several years.

There was a time when I didnt have anyone. There were many occasions that I didn't even have a job for long periods of times.

I wished I had a job even as a volunteer, but even that didn't happen because I could not provide references.

The silence in my flat was really disturbing. Ramadans, Eids....were coming and going. The world felt very small. The lonliness was so bad that I feared if ...the worst worst happens, nobody would know for weeks or months.

I didn't have internet neither nor I could I afford it.

Alhamdulellah, life is much different now in almost every way.

I know from experience how terrible it can be to feel lonely.

I am saddened by the lonliness that sisters dawahforever, Oumyaquine and Ummof3 and brother Brandon Al'Abraham are going through.

May Allah swt provide you with good friends and neighbours who can help you live happier lives and achieve closeness to Allah swt.

I would be so happy if I were near any of those brothers who feel lonely.
Please do inform me if you find a lonely brother in or around Manchester, UK.

Lastly, I would indicate to a hadith in which prophet pbuh mentioned that good company is better than lonliness and lonliness is better than bad company.
I hope someone can find the exact hadith

Wassalamu alaikum

Macha'Allah ,I know you day you'll be rewarded for your kindness and generosity incha'allah:hijabi: :hijabi:

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Assalam-o-alikum my brothers and sisters in Islam.

I really feel sad as well as ashamed that this kind of thing happens in our community.

If this is of some consolence to you then allow me to state the reason I think is behind this behavior.

Most of the Muslims in the west are immigrants, and among them majority are first generation immigrants. The first generation immigrants have to do a lot of struggle. First they have to establish themselves, they don't have anyone to fall to if something happens to them so they work hard to make a living, plus they also have to learn the local language and culture etc which is quite difficult. So because of language and cultural issues they become shy of the local people. They also start missing their country and culture and food etc. and this leads them to seek refuge among the people of their own country/culture. That is why you will notice that Pakistanis stay with Pakistanis and Egyptians stay with Egyptians etc. I am not defending this wrong behavior but trying to explain it.

Also when these Muslims were living in their own country, they had Muslims living all around them so they never developed any habit of getting closer to strangers or even saying Salam to strangers, which is very bad according to Islam, but when everyone around you is a Muslim then it becomes hard to keep up with this tradition. And so they bring this thing here and do not say Salam to anyone they don't know. I think the second generation of Muslims will be different because they don't have any language and cultural issue and they don't care where you are from, so they will be able to integrate with reverts and all other Muslims more easily and thoroughly.

In the mean time we have this issue about which I have thought a lot, and I have come to a conclusion that this group of first generation immigrant will not change their behavior. I have no hope with them. They have built Mosques and established the basic infrastructure for the future generation but have done nothing to integrate the Muslim community. This will be the task of the next generation. But what should we do about the Muslims who converted to Islam and are now left alone to defend themselves against loneliness and frustration.

Since I have no hope that the current generation of Muslims immigrants will change their behavior, the reverts should take the matter in their own hands, take charge and do somethings to address this issue like:

1. Print this article and post it in the bulletin board of Mosques you go to. Maybe it will put some Muslims to shame and they start doing something to address this issue.

2. Arrange meeting (Halaqa) in your home on regular basis (e.g. on every Thursday evening or Sunday afternoon etc.) in which you invite people from your local Masjid. It may cost some money initially if you also provide some snacks like chips and coke etc. But it will help you in making yourself introduced to the community and get familiar with them too. Eventually people will know you and start inviting you to their homes too. Why this is important? because in a close community people go to each others homes, it promotes love and affection among people.

3. If you find reverts in your area then have a Halaqa (group meeting) of those reverts too on regular basis.

Brother and sisters human being is a social creature, you cannot live alone for a long time. I know it is hard to mingle among people who feel no desire to mingle, but you have to do it. I would do it if I am in your situation. May be not all be friendly, but some will definetly respond. You can see where I live and if there is any brother or sister live around here then send me a PM, Me and/or my wife will be happy to do whatever we could to help.
:wasalam:

oumyaquine

Fière de ma religion
Assalam-o-alikum my brothers and sisters in Islam.

I really feel sad as well as ashamed that this kind of thing happens in our community.

If this is of some consolence to you then allow me to state the reason I think is behind this behavior.

Most of the Muslims in the west are immigrants, and among them majority are first generation immigrants. The first generation immigrants have to do a lot of struggle. First they have to establish themselves, they don't have anyone to fall to if something happens to them so they work hard to make a living, plus they also have to learn the local language and culture etc which is quite difficult. So because of language and cultural issues they become shy of the local people. They also start missing their country and culture and food etc. and this leads them to seek refuge among the people of their own country/culture. That is why you will notice that Pakistanis stay with Pakistanis and Egyptians stay with Egyptians etc. I am not defending this wrong behavior but trying to explain it.

Also when these Muslims were living in their own country, they had Muslims living all around them so they never developed any habit of getting closer to strangers or even saying Salam to strangers, which is very bad according to Islam, but when everyone around you is a Muslim then it becomes hard to keep up with this tradition. And so they bring this thing here and do not say Salam to anyone they don't know. I think the second generation of Muslims will be different because they don't have any language and cultural issue and they don't care where you are from, so they will be able to integrate with reverts and all other Muslims more easily and thoroughly.

In the mean time we have this issue about which I have thought a lot, and I have come to a conclusion that this group of first generation immigrant will not change their behavior. I have no hope with them. They have built Mosques and established the basic infrastructure for the future generation but have done nothing to integrate the Muslim community. This will be the task of the next generation. But what should we do about the Muslims who converted to Islam and are now left alone to defend themselves against loneliness and frustration.

Since I have no hope that the current generation of Muslims immigrants will change their behavior, the reverts should take the matter in their own hands, take charge and do somethings to address this issue like:

1. Print this article and post it in the bulletin board of Mosques you go to. Maybe it will put some Muslims to shame and they start doing something to address this issue.

2. Arrange meeting (Halaqa) in your home on regular basis (e.g. on every Thursday evening or Sunday afternoon etc.) in which you invite people from your local Masjid. It may cost some money initially if you also provide some snacks like chips and coke etc. But it will help you in making yourself introduced to the community and get familiar with them too. Eventually people will know you and start inviting you to their homes too. Why this is important? because in a close community people go to each others homes, it promotes love and affection among people.

3. If you find reverts in your area then have a Halaqa (group meeting) of those reverts too on regular basis.

Brother and sisters human being is a social creature, you cannot live alone for a long time. I know it is hard to mingle among people who feel no desire to mingle, but you have to do it. I would do it if I am in your situation. May be not all be friendly, but some will definetly respond. You can see where I live and if there is any brother or sister live around here then send me a PM, Me and/or my wife will be happy to do whatever we could to help.
:wasalam:

Salam, you know brother, we used to think like this my husband and I. Hamdulillah I have my best friend, a reverted sister that have been there for me in the bad and the good time,and so my husband(he used to say that the real brother he's able to count them with one hand) We used to send our children to the only muslim school in this country. I closed my eyes with the fact that it was dirty,small and with fact that the teachers were not often there. I thought it would be wonderfull for them to grow up inside a muslim community,wich my husband and I didn't have. When my eldest arrived to the first degree the problems started. First it was the fact that she didn't spoken ,well not arabic because the pop from magrheb doesn't really speak arabic but a dialect(cheeja); Then they told her that she wasn't allowed to play with them because she wasn't like them. One day when they went upstairs to make salat, one little girl(I mean nine years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) told her that her prayer will never been accepted 'cos she wasn't arabic. And started complaining with the teachers but all continued the same way; They used to say that it was just kids playgames. Until one day one little monster told her :that her daddy told that it was no sense for maryam to pray because she was not arabic and that any way she was going to hell. I cannot believe that a lilltle girl can invent those stuff by herself,you know. Then it was my son's turn, he's very blond hair and blue eyes so they started laughing at him. I can tell you that i 've left this school WITHOUT any regret. No we live in a belgian neighburhood and I get insulted all the time . Last time a man told his 5 years old little boy in front of my children and in front all the parents from the school that I was nothing but an islamist.
I've been talking to many many reverted sisters for a while and they are all facing the same stuff . I used to live in Riyadh after the first gulf war and I 've met one day at one of my parents diplomatic's dinners the italian ambassador . Buy that time he had already reverted to islam and he told me all that he faced trough because of his reversion. You know the biggest problems didn't come from the kuffar! You maybe can imagine that the members of the Emabassy would protest or something like that. He had enourmous problem with the Saudi princes. One of the only ways to get alcohol in saudi Arabia it is via the dipplomatic luggage,because it cannot be opened. I know this because my daddy was an ambassador too and he used to get some alcohol for some Saudies. Well the fact is that the brother, after reverting told everybody that no more alcohol will come by his Embassy. I can swear by Allah Almighty that few months later he had to move to another country. I only would like to shout to the holly world that all this is an injustice, but all come from Allah and he knows better why. So I love all my sisters and brothers in islam for the sake of Allah.:hearts:

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
:salam2:

You're not alone Brothers and Sisters. Countess Muslims in the west face the same reality, whether they are reverts or not. I live in a part of London near Heathrow called Southall, where you'll probably pass hundreds of Muslims just by walking down the broadway yet my relationship with Brothers barely extends beyond :salam2:, :wasalam: accompanied by a handshake.

If anyone thinks that's all Brotherhood in Islam is about, then they have to go a lot deeper than that.This was nothing new to me as I've spent most of my life here, but during my time in Cairo and Jeddah I felt something different, something which I never truly experienced until then; the Beauty of Brotherhood and sadly everything I see here is just pale in comparison. Of course, situations and experiences differ, this is just my reality.

wasalam

oumyaquine

Fière de ma religion
:salam2:

You're not alone Brothers and Sisters. Countess Muslims in the west face the same reality, whether they are reverts or not. I live in a part of London near Heathrow called Southall, where you'll probably pass hundreds of Muslims just by walking down the broadway yet my relationship with Brothers barely extends beyond :salam2:, :wasalam: accompanied by a handshake.

If anyone thinks that's all Brotherhood in Islam is about, then they have to go a lot deeper than that.This was nothing new to me as I've spent most of my life here, but during my time in Cairo and Jeddah I felt something different, something which I never truly experienced until then; the Beauty of Brotherhood and sadly everything I see here is just pale in comparison. Of course, situations and experiences differ, this is just my reality.

It is not just your reality, it is a real problem in the Umma I think . And since the number of reverted people is increasing this problem will increase too if we do nothing. When someone is sick you need to heel him. I really can understand that you've found brotherhood in Jeddah ,I 've been there and i love this city but you know, I hope soon we will be thousand of reverted people and there's no place for all of us in Jeddah or Maccah or Dubai...;The Ummah must grow and we have to accept that we're all brothers and sisters, doesn't matter if we're reverted one year, one month ago or if we 've been raised as a muslim. Please ,don't think that i'm rude with my words(as i'm pleased:SMILY335: to tell every time english is my fourthlanguage so I make big mistakes sometimes)but our community has to grow up really!
Our Umma must grow up , really. The last time that we had to choose the members Muslim Council that represent us towards the belgian government you had a turkish candidate, a reverted one and an arabic one and each community voted for his origin. I mean, something is going wrong i think. Well that is only my opinion and may Allah forgive if I said something wrong.