The Parable of Jews, Christians and Muslims

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Imam Ahmad recorded from `Abdullah bin `Umar that the Messenger of Allah said,

«مَثَلُكُمْ وَمَثَلُ الْيَهُودِ وَالنَّصَارَى كَمَثَلِ رَجُلٍ اسْتَعْمَلَ عُمَّالًا فَقَالَ: مَنْ يَعْمَلُ لِي مِنْ صَلَاةِ الصُّبْحِ إِلَى نِصْفِ النَّهَارِ عَلَى قِيرَاطٍ قِيرَاطٍ؟ أَلَا فَعَمِلَتِ الْيَهُودُ، ثُمَّ قَالَ: مَنْ يَعْمَلُ لِي مِنْ صَلَاةِ الظُّهْرِ إِلَى صَلَاةِ الْعَصْرِ عَلَى قِيرَاطٍ قِيرَاطٍ؟ أَلَا فَعَمِلَتِ النَّصَارَى، ثُمَّ قَالَ: مَنْ يَعْمَلُ لِي مِنْ صَلَاةِ الْعَصْرِ إِلَى غُرُوبِ الشَّمْسِ عَلَى قِيرَاطَيْنِ قِيرَاطَيْنِ؟ أَلَا فَأَنْتُمُ الَّذِينَ عَمِلْتُمْ، فَغَضِبَ النَّصَارَى وَالْيَهُودُ وَقَالُوا: نَحْنُ أَكْثَرُ عَمَلًا وَأَقَلُّ عَطَاءً، قَالَ: هَلْ ظَلَمْتُكُمْ مِنْ أَجْرِكُمْ شَيْئًا؟ قَالُوا: لَا، قَالَ: فَإِنَّمَا هُوَ فَضْلِي أُوتِيهِ مَنْ أَشَاء»

(The parable of you and the Jews and Christians is that of a person who employed some laborers and asked them, "Who will work for me from the Dawn prayer until midday for one Qirat (a special weight of gold) each'' So, the Jews worked. The person asked, "Who will do the work for me from the Zuhr prayer to the time of the `Asr prayer for one Qirat each'' So, the Christians worked. Then the person asked, "Who will do the work for me from `Asr prayer until sunset for two Qirat each'' You are those who did this work. The Jews and the Christians got angry and said, "We did more work, but got less wages.'' Allah said, "Have I been unjust to you with your reward'' They said, "No.'' So, Allah said, "Then it is My grace which I bestow on whomever I will.'') Al-Bukhari collected this Hadith. Al-Bukhari recorded that Abu Musa said that the Prophet said,

«مَثَلُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ وَالْيَهُودِ وَالنَّصَارَى كَمَثَلِ رَجُلٍ اسْتَعْمَلَ قَوْمًا يَعْمَلُونَ لَهُ عَمَلًا يَوْمًا إِلَى اللَّيْلِ عَلَى أَجْرٍ مَعْلُومٍ، فَعَمِلُوا إِلَى نِصْفِ النَّهَارِ فَقَالُوا: لَا حَاجَةَ لَنَا فِي أَجْرِكَ الَّذِي شَرَطْتَ لَنَا، وَمَا عَمِلْنَا بَاطِلٌ، فَقَالَ لَهُمْ: لَا تَفْعَلُوا، أَكْمِلُوا بَقِيَّةَ عَمَلِكُمْ، وَخُذُوا أَجْرَكُمْ كَامِلًا، فَأَبَوا وَتَرَكُوا وَاسْتَأْجَرَ آخَرِينَ بَعْدَهُمْ فَقَالَ: أَكْمِلُوا بَقِيَّةَ يَوْمِكُمْ وَلَكُمُ الَّذِي شَرَطْتُ لَهُمْ مِنَ الْأَجْرِ، فَعَمِلُوا حَتْى إِذَا كَانَ حِينَ صَلَّوُا الْعَصْرَ قَالُوا: مَا عَمِلْنَا بَاطِلٌ، وَلَكَ الْأَجْرُ الَّذِي جَعَلْتَ لَنَا فِيهِ. فَقَالَ: أَكْمِلُوا بَقِيَّةَ عَمَلِكُمْ، فَإِنَّمَا بَقِيَ مِنَ النَّهَارِ شَيْءٌ يَسِيرٌ، فَأَبَوا. فَاسْتَأْجَرَ قَوْمًا أَنْ يَعْمَلُوا لَهُ بَقِيَّةَ يَوْمِهِمْ فَعَمِلُوا لَهُ بَقِيَّةَ يَوْمِهِمْ حَتْى غَابَتِ الشَّمْسُ، فَاسْتَكْمَلُوا أُجْرَةَ الْفَرِيقَيْنِ كِلَيْهِمَا، فَذلِكَ مَثَلُهُمْ وَمَثَلُ مَا قَبِلُوا مِنْ هذَا النُّور»

(The parable of the Muslims, Jews and Christians is that of a man who employed laborers to work for him from morning until night for a known wage. So, they worked until midday and said, `We are not in need of the wages that you promised and our work was in vain.' So, the man said, `Do not quit now, complete the rest of the work and yours will be the full wage I have fixed for it.' However, they refused and quit, and he had to hire another batch of workers. He said (to the second batch), `Complete the work for the rest of the day and I will give you the same wage I promised the first batch.' So, they worked until the time of the `Asr prayer and said, `Whatever we have done is in vain and we forfeit the wages you promised us.' He said to them, `Complete your day's work, for only a small part of the day remains.' However, they refused, and he employed another batch to work for the rest of the day, and they worked until sunset and received the wages of the two former batches. This is an example of them (i.e., the Jews and Christians) and of those who accepted this light (i.e., Islam).) Al-Bukhari was alone in recording it.

Source : Tafsir Ibn-Kathir