The Prophet’s Guidance Concerning Fasting (Zad-ul Ma'ad) P1

Abu Juwairiya

"According to his guidance he would only begin the fast of Ramadhan after a verified sighting of the new moon or the evidence of a witness. In case it was not sighted and without a witness he would complete 30 days of Sha`baan.

If the new moon could not be sighted on the 29th of Sha`baan due to clouds, he completed thirty days of the month. He did not fast on the day of doubt, or tell anyone to do it.

He terminated the fast at the end of the month based on the testimony of two witnesses.

If two witnesses gave a testimony about sighting the moon after Eid prayer time had passed, he would break his fast, order people to do so and would perform the Eid prayer at its time the following morning.

He used to hasten to break of the fast [at sunset] and ordered the people to do so. He also used to delay his suhoor and encourage others to do the same.

He used to break his fast before performing the maghrib prayer. He would break his fast with fresh or dry dates, and if unavailable, with water.

Upon breaking his fast he would say:

"Dhahab ath-thama'u wabtallatil-ùrooqu wa thabatal-ajr 'in shaa Allaah." (Thirst has gone,
the veins have been moistened and the reward is assured, if Allah wills.)

He used to intensify his acts of worship in Ramadhan. The angel Gabriel would meet with him in this month to review the Qur'an.

During Ramadhan he also increased charity, good deeds, recitation of the Qur'an, prayer, remembrance of Allah and i`tikaaf.

He used to perform certain acts of worship particular to Ramadhan. Sometimes he continued fasting without breaking it at night, although he prohibited his companions from doing so.

He allowed them to continue only to the time of suhoor."

Abu Juwairiya

The Prophet’s Guidance Concerning Fasting (Zad-ul Ma'ad) P2

His Guidance in What Is Allowed and Prohibited While Fasting

"His guidance was that when one fasts he should abstain from improper speech, noisy
arguments, insults and replying to them. He instructed that if one is cursed or insulted he
should only say, “I am fasting”.

While travelling, he sometimes observed fasting and sometimes broke his fast, and he
gave his companions the option to do either.

He would order his companions to break their fast when they approached an enemy.

He did not specify any certain distance after which a traveller would be excused from
fasting.

When his companions would start a journey, they would break the fast even before leaving
the residential area and affirmed that this was the sunnah of the Prophet.

It might be that on a day of fasting he would be in a state of sexual impurity at the
break of dawn, but he would then perform ghusl and observe the fast as usual."....

He would clean his teeth with a toothstick, rinse his mouth and nose and pour water on
his head while fasting.

He ruled that a fasting person need not make up the day if he ate or drank out of
forgetfulness.

He permitted sick and travelling persons to break the fast and make up the missed days
later. He also permitted a pregnant or nursing women to do the same if they feared
harm to themselves."

Abu Juwairiya

The Prophet’s Guidance Concerning Fasting (Zad-ul Ma'ad) P3

His Guidance in Voluntary Fasting:

"His guidance was most complete and perfect for achieving the desired objective with ease.

He used to fast until it was said that he would never stop fasting.

And he would refrain from fasting until it was said that he was not going to fast.

He never fasted a full month except for Ramadhan, but he never fasted in any other month more than he did in Sha`baan.

According to his guidance, it is disliked to single out Friday as a day to fast, but he took care to fast on Mondays and Thursdays.

He never missed fasting on the days of the full moon ( the 13th, 14th and 15th of every
lunar month), whether at home or on a journey, and he encouraged others to fast
them.

He also used to fast the first three days of every lunar month.

He encouraged fasting six days from the month of Shawaal, saying that fasting them
after the fast of Ramadhan is equivalent to fasting the entire year.

He always fasted the day of 'Ashuraa', mentioning that it expiates the sins of the past year.

With regard to the day of `Arafah, he said that it expiates the sins of the past year and
the coming year.

But his guidance for Hajj pilgrims was not to fast on the Day of `Arafah.

It was not of his guidance to fast every day of the year.

On the contrary, he said, “Whoever fasts every day has neither fasted nor broken the fast.”

Sometimes he would intend to fast voluntarily and then break his fast.

And he would sometimes ask his family, "Do you have any food?" If they said no, he would say: “Then, I am fasting”.

And he said: “If one of you is invited to a meal while fasting, he should say, 'I am
fasting'.”

Abu Juwairiya

The Prophet’s Guidance Concerning Fasting (Zad-ul Ma'ad) P4

His Guidance in I`tikaaf

"He was regular in i`tikaaf during the last ten days of Ramadhan until he died. Once he
missed it in Ramadhan but made the days up during the month of Shawwal.

He once did i`tikaaf in the first ten days of Ramadhan, then the middle ten days, then the
last ten days, seeking Laylatul-Qadr. Then it became clear to him that it is in the last ten
days, so he continued to do it then, until he died.

He always combined i`tikaaf with fasting...

When intending i`tikaaf, he began it after performing the fajr prayer."

Personal Comment: I have not included all parts of the above topic since some of them relate to the personal and private life of the Prophet and that he did not legislate as part of the Sunnah.