The (S)ound (O)f (S)alam

Fatima Amenda

Before I even knew of the meaning of Islam, I didn't understand the meaning of Muslim, or heard of Qur'an, maybe I had been living in a shell, I was, well ... just me. In 2007 I sold my home and decided to go on the road and travel in a trailer throughout Ontario Parks for one year. It was an adventure of a lifetime. During the winter of 2008 - Jan 2009 I spent this time in Algonquin Park and if you know the north of Ontario, Canada or seen photos in the winter you can picture the serene atmosphere in which I speak in this moment of what I called Heaven. Alhumdulillah, I didn't think was possible to experience this kind of peace again until I heard the calling and invitation to enter into the Muslim way of life. Allahu Akbar

January 7 2009

Stepping outside I took a deep breath of the breathtaking scenery as the snow continually fell all day in unison so beautifully choreographed leaving behind an existence of genuine purity.

I walked slowly to the shower watching the birds and squirrels scramble from one tree to the next listening to what seemed like happiness in their sounds enjoying the day as much as I was in that moment in time.

As I emerged from a hot shower into the coolness of the air I couldn’t let the rest of the day pass without walking through the deep snow feeling the coolness overflow into my boot, feeling no discomfort, no cold. The day was coming to an end, at 3:30pm the dusk starts upon us slowly enough to notice the moon light emerging in the sky and the silence of most birds as their feeding for the day has ended.

The snow so undisturbed at that moment wished I could fly above it to keep the beauty continual but with each step my weight sunk in still admiring the vast area around me in awe.

I didn’t know where I was going as I could have walked for miles but decided to stop and sit under a mature Pine Tree as the darkness of the forest was soon to fall upon me. I picked a spot where the snow was not quite as deep and placed my bag down and sat in the snow.

Tears started to flow from my eyes as I felt so privileged to sit in the quiet of this peace, no sound around me except for occasional falling of light snow from branches above looking like an angel gliding down to earth.

The air was perfect. No wind and no cold even though my wet hair under my hat started to freeze I thought this must be what heaven looks and feels like. Pure, undisturbed and peaceful, I then cried some more. I cried for those who cannot feel the place I’m in, I cried for those who are not surrounded by peace but by war, pain and anguish that could be a place they live, or their tortured soul that lives within them. I cried that I was blessed to have had a taste of heaven and pray everyone experiences their own moment of heaven just once, as I had unexpectedly had today.