Theme Parks

zarah

Islam
Staff member
:salam2:

Is it haram to go to theme parks...(fun fare....:confused: )

Playing 10p machines...etc.....

:wasalam:

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

Just a reminder to some of our Brothers and Sisters,
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11719

Question:
Unfortunately nowadays it is common for women to go uncovered and make a wanton display of themselves in malls and themes parks, and the music is very loud in these places.
My question is:
Is it permissible to go to theme parks with my sons for fun or is that regarded as haraam?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The state should provide permissible kinds of entertainment, because that will bring a number of benefits to all concerned. Recent statistics show that it is possible that the number of those who travel outside the Kingdom for holidays is around 5 million. Undoubtedly many of them are going to be exposed to haraam things and may do haraam things during their trip, let alone the money that is spent abroad in kaafir countries and on haraam entertainment. Many of them come back with deviant attitudes and chronic diseases which cause a loss in religious commitment, health, wealth, honour and reason. These are the necessary factors of life which all religions and laws came to protect.

The state should pay attention to permissible places of entertainment and make sure that they are safe and clean, and that the services offered there are good. They should set aside areas for children and families, and other areas for young men, and they should prevent haraam things such as playing music or allowing unveiling and wanton displays, or the presence of rowdy young men. Thus the state will block the way for those who want youth and women to become corrupted abroad, and they will help to save their money, stop the kuffaar and deviant people benefiting from this money, and it will provide job opportunities for many of the youth.

In the answer to question no. 47396 it states that it is not permissible for a Muslim to be present in a place where there are evils that he is unable to change. Rather he must strive to change them with his hand (by taking action) or with his tongue (by speaking out). If he is unable to do that then there is nothing left but denouncing it in his heart, and part of denouncing it in his heart is that he must leave that place.

Based on this, it is not permissible for you or anyone else to go to places of entertainment where sins are being committed, such as uncovering and wanton display, or music. Allaah has given you an alternative in places where these sins are not to be found.
You should also not forget about doing ‘umrah during these days. The wise Muslim takes advantage of his life before he dies, of his good health before he falls sick, of his free time before he becomes busy, and of his wealth before he becomes poor. We do not forbid that which Allaah has permitted of going to permissible places of entertainment. But we advise you to be selective and to do that which is best for your Hereafter.

And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Islam Q&A

Daud McGuire

Say he is one
salam

btw, i live in UK, thats considered kaffir. So should I not pay tax or spend money in this country? If I am to spend money on this country, why not another one. Does it matter if they disbeleive, we have to pay our dues and obide to there laws. So I dnt see why our ummah cant go to a theme park, if we segregregate we will go stagnent.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
btw, i live in UK, thats considered kaffir. So should I not pay tax or spend money in this country? If I am to spend money on this country, why not another one. Does it matter if they disbeleive, we have to pay our dues and obide to there laws. So I dnt see why our ummah cant go to a theme park, if we segregregate we will go stagnent.

That's besides the point brother, have you not read all the other points?

wasalam

zarah

Islam
Staff member

Jazzak-Allah Khair all for yor response...Just wanted to quickly ask so you lot think that playing the 10p machine is not haram....(Isn`t that some sort of gamble????)

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA

Jazzak-Allah Khair all for yor response...Just wanted to quickly ask so you lot think that playing the 10p machine is not haram....(Isn`t that some sort of gamble????)

I'd class it as gambling, since you're inserting your 10p in the hope that you will win more money. Yes, they can be incredibly fun to play, and most people wouldn't class winning a few 10p's as a great financial gain, but the point is that you're playing a money-based game of chance/strategy.

zarah

Islam
Staff member

I'd class it as gambling, since you're inserting your 10p in the hope that you will win more money. Yes, they can be incredibly fun to play, and most people wouldn't class winning a few 10p's as a great financial gain, but the point is that you're playing a money-based game of chance/strategy.

Jazzak-Allah Khair sis,that is exactly what I ment...What about the free mixing...because you will find a number of unknown female and males???

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
Based on this, it is not permissible for you or anyone else to go to places of entertainment where sins are being committed, such as uncovering and wanton display, or music. Allaah has given you an alternative in places where these sins are not to be found

I don't think the statement above applies to all theme parks at all. Some of the theme parks where people are "uncovered" and "sinning" and there's music playing are the types that are seasonal local funfairs, rather than established places of good family entertainment.

There are types of funfairs where people go to mostly at night in order to waste money on things that may (or may not) involve gambling, listen to loud music, and flirt with the opposite sex. Moreover, in some of these local funfairs, the attractions are pretty shoddy (and sometimes not safe at all). Also the food is not good (doesn't seem to be hygeinic, and mostly is definitely not halal). They also have few facilities, for example they may only have those portable-type toilets.

To me, even before becoming Muslim, these places weren't fun! They're mostly a rip off. And everybody (in the UK at least) knows these types of places.

However, an established theme park is something else.

If we take for example Alton Towers in Staffordshire, England, this is a very different place to a "funfair". It's situated in a large plot of lovely woodland (Masha'allah, it's really really pretty), and provides clean fun for everybody. You pay your entry fee, and all the rides are included, so you don't waste any more money on unecessary things. They have every type of ride, from the ridiculously big white-knuckle rides, to relaxing family rides, and rides just for children. It's not the type of place where you hear pop music blasting from speakers. In fact, I don't ever remember hearing any music there at all (except for some funny 'spooky' sounds they play in the "haunted woodlands"). As far as I'm aware, there are no "arcade" style games which tempt people into gambling.

The food is decent, cooked in proper food outlets...or you can even bring your own and have a picnic if you want something that's explicitly halal.

As for mixing of the sexes...it's not a big issue in this type of place (theme park I mean, not funfair). It's not the type of place where groups of adult men and women frivilously mix and flirt, it's just too expensive for that! You see a lot of schoolchildren, a lot of adult couples, and a lot of families.

In fact, you see many, many, many Muslims. It's not at all uncommon in this place to see Muslimahs in full Islamic dress having a good time :)

Whether this particular place is scholarly permitted or not, I don't know, but please bear in mind that the answer given by Islam Q&A seems to relate only to Saudi Arabia, and to the dreadful types of funfairs that I described before.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i would avoid it, because it has the semblance of gambling. those games were designed so that you'll be sympathetic to real gambling. i'm sure there are plenty of other games to play that aren't a cause of doubt. i'm not saying that the above mentioned game is haram, but i think it should be avoided.

zarah

Islam
Staff member
i would avoid it, because it has the semblance of gambling. those games were designed so that you'll be sympathetic to real gambling. i'm sure there are plenty of other games to play that aren't a cause of doubt. i'm not saying that the above mentioned game is haram, but i think it should be avoided.

Jazzak-Allah khair akhi....