Thin red line: Where art, surgery meet

hafeezanwar

Thin red line: Where art, surgery meet

Sculptors have for centuries used wood and stone to carve the human body, but Dr Anthony Berlet prefers the real thing.
Berlet is curator of an exhibition in New York that aims to spark a debate over the idea that plastic surgery is art.

While an ordinary face-lift is routine, nose reconstruction, or rhinoplasty, is entirely different, according to Berlet.

"To understand it structurally and to be able to alter it to the point where you can say this is what I want to create for you, I think that takes artistic skill and a certain amount of creativity," Berlet says.

The exhibition, titled 'I Am Art: An Expression of the Visual and Artistic Process of Plastic Surgery', features gruesome video footage and stills of operations, deformities and the results of accidents. They are meant to show that beauty, like the artistic process, is not easily achieved.

The pictures require a strong stomach of visitors to the exhibit, but that does not mean they are not, in their own way, beautiful. The video of the nose job lasts six horrific minutes in which a nose is turned inside out while latex-gloved hands saw and cut and remodel the cartilage.

Mark Melamed, an ophthalmologist, said he had mixed feelings about the art-meets-surgery concept.

--Agencies