Question: Timing For Isha Prayer

Assalamualaikum @ All

How is everyone? I had a important query in regards to Isha prayer, as per my knowledge and from other sources as well the time for Isha remains untill Fajr, whereas on of my friend told me that the time of isha is only untill 12:00 am. i want confirm whether my knowledge is right or what my friend has informed me.

Jazak Allah

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Wa Alaikkum Asalaam

The closest I came to a Hadith is below. I will search and see if there is a definite one In Shaa Allah.

'Uthman bin 'Affan (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying: "One who performs 'Isha' prayer in congregation, is as if he has performed Salat for half of the night. And one who performs the Fajr prayer in congregation, is as if he has performed Salat the whole night."

[Muslim]

The narration of At-Tirmidhi says: 'Uthman bin Affan (May Allah be pleased with him) narrated that he had heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying: "He who attends 'Isha' in congregation, is as if he has performed Salat for half of the night; and he who attends 'Isha' and Fajr prayers in congregation, is as if he has performed Salat for the whole night."

Sunnah.com reference
: Book 9, Hadith 81
Arabic/English book reference
: Book 9, Hadith 1071

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:bismillah1:
wa alaikum asalaam
Alhamdulillah

‘Isha prayer must be performed before midnight, and it is not permissible to delay it until midnight, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The time of ‘Isha’ is until midnight” (narrated by Muslim, al-Masaajid wa Mawaadi’ al-Salaah, 964). Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/10125

This was news to me also, I had learned that Isha after midnight is makrooh, but permissible. I also found fatawa for that, but they were copy/pasted and I could not verify the source. Perhaps someone else will be able to. May Allah swt accept our prayer when we did not know.

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
But as discussed in the Witr thread, this applies only to the Fardh and Sunnah prayers, no? The Witr can be delayed, and is in fact encouraged to be prayed among the last prayers of the night.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
But as discussed in the Witr thread, this applies only to the Fardh and Sunnah prayers, no? The Witr can be delayed, and is in fact encouraged to be prayed among the last prayers of the night.
That is my understanding. Though today my understanding was changed already once.
:salam:

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
'Abd Allah b. 'Amr reported the Prophet () as saying:
The time of the Zuhr prayer is as along as the time of the 'Asr prayer has not come; the time of the Asr prayer is as long as the sun has not become yellow ; the time of the Maghrib prayer is as long as the twilight has not ended; the time of the Isha prayer is up to midnight; and the time of the Fajr prayer is as long as the sun has not risen.
Grade : Sahih (Al-Albani)
Reference : Sunan Abi Dawud 396
In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 6

Narrated Ibn Shihab from `Urwa:
`Aisha said, "Once Allah's Messenger () delayed the `Isha' prayer till `Umar reminded him by saying, "The prayer!" The women and children have slept. Then the Prophet () came out and said, 'None amongst the dwellers of the earth has been waiting for it (the prayer) except you." `Urwa said, "Nowhere except in Medina the prayer used to be offered (in those days)." He further said, "The Prophet () used to offer the `Isha' prayer in the period between the disappearance of the twilight and the end of the first third of the night."

Reference
: Sahih al-Bukhari 569
In-book reference
: Book 9, Hadith 46
USC-MSA web (English) reference
: Vol. 1, Book 10, Hadith 544

A.Abubaker

in Hanbali fiqh it is impermissible to pray after midnight however, in all other three madahib it is only disliked.

btw, ibn qudamah a ''hanbali'' also was of the opinion that it was permissible to pray past midnight.