Tres leches (Three milks cake)

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
:salam2:

If anyone has time to make this cake, make it!!! I made it for my parents party, but somehow half of it disappeared in my stomach and my parents ate the rest. It never made it to the party.

Warning *It will take two days to make but worth it!!) I prefer to eat this warm, so it takes me one day to make it :D

The directions may be long but it is a lot of prep time.

I got the recipe from foodnetwork under Emeril Lagassi.

Cake:
6 large eggs, separated
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used fresh vanilla since extract has alcohol)
Cream topping:
1 14-ounce can evaporated milk
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup heavy cream

Icing:
3 tablespoons water
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large egg whites
1 ripe mango, peeled, seed removed, and thinly sliced
1 ripe papaya, peeled, seeds removed, and thinly sliced

To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
In the bowl of a mixer, beat the egg whites on low speed until soft peaks form. Add the sugar gradually with the mixer running and peak to stiff peaks. Add the egg yolks 1 at a time, beating well after the addition of each.

Sift together the flour and baking powder and add to the egg mixture, alternating with the milk. (Do this quickly so the batter does not lose volume.) Add the vanilla. Bake until golden, 25 minutes.

To make the cream topping: In a blender, combine the evaporated milk, condensed milk, and heavy cream and blend on high speed.

Remove the cake from the oven and while still warm, pour the cream mixture over it. Let sit and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
To make the icing: Once the cake is completely chilled, in a saucepan combine the water and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. Cook until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage, 235 to 240 degrees F. Remove from the heat. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. While beating, add the hot syrup in a stream. Beat until all the syrup has been added, the mixture cools, and a glossy icing forms.

To assemble: Remove the cake from the refrigerator and spread the icing evenly across the top. Arrange the mango and papaya slices over the top and serve

Assalamu aleikum dearest am having girls day out tomorrow inshallah
and everyone has to bring a platter that's the rule lol...I'm going to try my best and make this inshallah and will keep you updated :p

Jazaakallah kheiran for sharing :)

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
Assalamu aleikum dearest am having girls day out tomorrow inshallah
and everyone has to bring a platter that's the rule lol...I'm going to try my best and make this inshallah and will keep you updated :p

Jazaakallah kheiran for sharing :)

Yay!! I am excited. Let me know how it goes. If the icing is too hard to make, just opt for store bought :) Getting the sugar and water to boil into a ball is hard. Thank goodness I had the Mom for that part. Insha Allah I hope you have a great girls day out

:wasalam:

Lol. The mango is really really good on top of it. The papaya was too hard to peel and messy. I guess any fruit is good on it, but it is still unhealthy :D

you gotta allow yourself an unhealthy treat once in a while you know It won't hurt you :D

I was planning to use peaches instead of papaya:) ...i love peaches and i beleive anything with peaches is yummyy:)

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
you gotta allow yourself an unhealthy treat once in a while you know It won't hurt you :D

I was planning to use peaches instead of papaya:) ...i love peaches and i beleive anything with peaches is yummyy:)

Good idea with the peaches. I love peaches too :D I love making peach cobbler.

I have baked it yay! alhamdullillah it turned out nice,,It was so easy to make subhanallah, people dont let the long recipe list fool you lol..

well i didnt have a big baking dish so i had to use two trays nonetheless it looks delicious..hope it tastes as deicious as it looks :D..It's in the fridge now hehe cant wait..I'm going to take a photo of it and post it in a few hours :)inshallah *excited*

Viola :)

PS: i used a canned mango and the topping went all watery :(

but the taste is fab mashallah jazaakallah kheiran for the recipe

Attachments

• tres leches.jpg1.jpg
    tres leches.jpg1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 49
  • tres leches.jpg
    tres leches.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 40

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
Viola :)

PS: i used a canned mango and the topping went all watery :(

but the taste is fab mashallah jazaakallah kheiran for the recipe

Mash Allah that came out more beautiful than mine :D I am glad you enjoyed it. I never thought about using canned mangos. Insha Allah this Ramadan I will try that.

:salam2: everyone liked it mashallah :) [it was too sweet for me though even though i used only one cup of sugar and not two as it says on the recipe] I think it must have been the mango and the three milks :/

I'm sure you are a great cook i have yet alot to learn hehe :)

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
:salam2: everyone liked it mashallah :) [it was too sweet for me though even though i used only one cup of sugar and not two as it says on the recipe] I think it must have been the mango and the three milks :/

I'm sure you are a great cook i have yet alot to learn hehe :)

Aww thanks. If you can cook that cake, then you are a pro already! It was rated at an expert level. I think it takes genius to find other options which you did i.e. canned mangos :) If you ever want to swap recipes let me know!