Trying to get closer to Allah swt HELP!

Norii

Salam Alaykum Wa Rahmatu Allah Wa Barakatuhu to all my brothers and sisters,

I am new to the site, however I am not new to Islam. I was born muslim and my parents taught me to pray, read and write arabic (although it is not excellent).

I used to pray consistently and read Quran growing up and Islam has always been in my heart but as I grew up sadly I was practicing less and 10 years later I now find myself so far away from my Deen.

When I strayed from Islam it only meant I was no longer considering what Allah approves of when pursuing things in life but rather what I desired. Then it all backfired one by one and I found myself in a really dark place.

For about a year now I have been trying to practice, my prayers haven't been consistent but I have definitely prayed more this year than I have in the past 10 years put together but I still get weak :(

2 years ago my prayers didn't cross my mind not even once a day/week or month even but alhamdullah now if I miss a prayer I actually feel guilty. BUT thats not good enough. I don't want to miss a prayer and feel guilty, I wanna feel guilty enough that I make sure I DO NOT miss a prayer.

When I pray I feel really great but most days I feel guilty, sad, bitter, negative, miserable and most importantly empty and that's when I realise that there is still something wrong.

I am just hoping some of you have some advise to help me strengthen my Iman, involve Allah in my thoughts/habits consistently, books I can read, small habits I can engage in, specific prayers, groups, lectures, Sheiks to listen to, maybe even your own experience and how you approached it.

Jazakum Allah Khair my brothers and sisters.

Last edited:

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum sister @Norii

Welcome to the site!

First of all, may Allah guide us all and keep us on the straight path!

Have you got sisters around you? A mosque where you can go? I don't know where you live that's why I'm asking.

What I would suggest is to do little every day and try to be consistent, inshallah. Try to improve your prayers, ask Allah when you are in sujood to help you and make it easy on you, make du'a!

Jazakillahu khayran sister

preserver

-pray at the time,

-pray during the night,

-morning prayer and evening do not forget in any case,

-read one surah of Quran everyday, or one part of

-when you work, when you walk, when you drive, ... every time do it zikr for Allah, and salawat to Muhammed a.s.
example to understand the secret of Quran http://kaheel7.com/ENG/index.php/powerpoint/953-powerpoint-la-ilaha-ill-allah

-learn names of Allah and repeat him always,
When reciting do not phrase the Names with the prefix Al but begin with Ya; and add the suffix "u" to it. Thus for instance, "Al Jabbar" is invoked as "Ya Jabbaru." "Ar Rahim" as "Ya Rahimu."

"And Allah's are the best Names, therefore call on Him thereby, and leave alone those who violate the sanctity of His Names; they shall be recompensed for what they did; God's alone are the attributes of perfection; invoke Him, then, by these, and stand aloof from all who distort the meaning of His attributes." Quran Al A'Raf 7:180
"Say: 'Call upon Allah or call upon the Beneficent God; whichever you call upon, He has the Best names.' Say: 'Invoke God, or invoke the Most Gracious: by whichever name you invoke Him, He is always the One -- for His are all the attributes of perfection.'" Quran Al Isra 17:110
"Allah is He, other than Whom there is no other god; Who knows both what is hidden and what can be witnessed; He is the Most Compassionate and Merciful. Allah is He, other than Whom there is no other god; the Sovereign, the One, the Source of Peace, the Guardian of Faith, the Preserver of Security, the Exalted, the Compelling, the Supreme. Glory be to God, beyond any associations. He is Allah, the Creator, the Evolver, the Bestower of Form. To Him belong the Most Beautiful Names: Whatever exists in heaven and earth declares His Praise and Glory. And He is Exalted in Power, the Wise." Quran Al Hashr 59:22-24
"He is the First and the Last and the Ascendant (over all) and the knower of hidden things, and He is Cognizant of all things. He is The First (Al-Awaal) and The Last (Al-Aakhir), The Outward (As-Zhahir) and The Inward (Al-Batin); He is The Knower of All Things." Quran Al-Hadid 57:3

for more read this http://islamictalismans.com/99namesofAllah.html
http://truthentryguard.studioandrew.com/tag/divine-beautiful/

-go to the mosque and associate with devoted Muslims,

-pray a prayer of forgiveness

read the sites: http://wahiduddin.net/words/99_pages/wazaif.htm and seach on google

Insha'Allah will help you, and all believers! Amen!

Insha'Allah
Insha'Allah

muhammad sabri

Salam alaykum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu,

dear sister as the sister above suggested try to get in contact with local muslim comunity in the mosque and so on and so forth and build a connection with three things: muslims, prayer and Allah; as for the first you already joined this forum so make it your home, also as i already said get incontact with good muslims sisters around your area and visit the nearest mosque; as for the prayer it is simple, just pray the 5 daily prayer even if at the beginning you don't get them on time just recover them and pray them and don't even let one slip so when you wake up do subh then dhukr then asr, then maghrib and aisha(you can find the prayer times online), and lastly Allah...you need to connect with Him and the best way of doing it is du3a and reciting the Quran because with du'3a you speak to Him and with Quran He speaks to You. Also watch videos about Islam from youtube...i suggest you NOUMAN ALI KHAN you'll view Islam in a completely beautiful way, 'cause that's what Islam is..! Beautiful

this is a good start and if you need anything just say it,so remember PRAY, SUPPLICATE(DU3A),QURAN,GOOD MUSLIMS COMPANY(IN REAL AND ON FORUMS)

wa salam

Norii

Welcome to the site!

Have you got sisters around you? A mosque where you can go? I don't know where you live that's why I'm asking.

What I would suggest is to do little every day and try to be consistent, inshallah. Try to improve your prayers, ask Allah when you are in sujood to help you and make it easy on you, make du'a!

Welcome to the site!

Salam Alaykum sister,

Amen ya rab
Thank you for all your advise sister.
I do not have many friends who practice, most my friends growing up have been non - muslims, or muslims who didn't really practice. {May Allah guide them us all on the right path}, I hope inshallah I can better myself and maybe one day I can be a good example to influence them to practice.
I do have one sister who I have known for a long time and she has been very helpful and I am trying to spend more time around her but she is married and also has her duties to get on with and usually our free time clash.
My mother and her friends arrange a weekly get together at home to read read Quran and expand islamic knowledge amongst each other. I attend these events but usually they happen whilst I am at uni in the evening.
I live in West London. I have a few mosques around me Alhamdullah. I do not go very often.
I work full time 8am-6pm Mon - Fri, I study at university in the evenings between 6am-9pm and on the weekends 9am-5pm Sat/Sun but Inshallah after the 2nd of June my exams will be over which means I will have more time during the summer (Ramadan especially) to get involved in more activities, go to the mosque more often during Ramadan inshallah.
I also live with my mother who has several disabilities and usually have to do things for her when I have spare time.
I have a Quran app on my phone which helps as I can read wherever I am.

may Allah make it easy for all of us Inshallah.

Jazakillahu Khair Sister. x

Norii

-pray at the time,

-pray during the night,

-morning prayer and evening do not forget in any case,

-read one surah of Quran everyday, or one part of

-when you work, when you walk, when you drive, ... every time do it zikr for Allah, and salawat to Muhammed a.s.
example to understand the secret of Quran http://kaheel7.com/ENG/index.php/powerpoint/953-powerpoint-la-ilaha-ill-allah

-learn names of Allah and repeat him always,
When reciting do not phrase the Names with the prefix Al but begin with Ya; and add the suffix "u" to it. Thus for instance, "Al Jabbar" is invoked as "Ya Jabbaru." "Ar Rahim" as "Ya Rahimu."

"And Allah's are the best Names, therefore call on Him thereby, and leave alone those who violate the sanctity of His Names; they shall be recompensed for what they did; God's alone are the attributes of perfection; invoke Him, then, by these, and stand aloof from all who distort the meaning of His attributes." Quran Al A'Raf 7:180
"Say: 'Call upon Allah or call upon the Beneficent God; whichever you call upon, He has the Best names.' Say: 'Invoke God, or invoke the Most Gracious: by whichever name you invoke Him, He is always the One -- for His are all the attributes of perfection.'" Quran Al Isra 17:110
"Allah is He, other than Whom there is no other god; Who knows both what is hidden and what can be witnessed; He is the Most Compassionate and Merciful. Allah is He, other than Whom there is no other god; the Sovereign, the One, the Source of Peace, the Guardian of Faith, the Preserver of Security, the Exalted, the Compelling, the Supreme. Glory be to God, beyond any associations. He is Allah, the Creator, the Evolver, the Bestower of Form. To Him belong the Most Beautiful Names: Whatever exists in heaven and earth declares His Praise and Glory. And He is Exalted in Power, the Wise." Quran Al Hashr 59:22-24
"He is the First and the Last and the Ascendant (over all) and the knower of hidden things, and He is Cognizant of all things. He is The First (Al-Awaal) and The Last (Al-Aakhir), The Outward (As-Zhahir) and The Inward (Al-Batin); He is The Knower of All Things." Quran Al-Hadid 57:3

for more read this http://islamictalismans.com/99namesofAllah.html
http://truthentryguard.studioandrew.com/tag/divine-beautiful/

-go to the mosque and associate with devoted Muslims,

-pray a prayer of forgiveness

read the sites: http://wahiduddin.net/words/99_pages/wazaif.htm and seach on google

Insha'Allah will help you, and all believers! Amen!

Insha'Allah
Insha'Allah

Salam Alaykum Akhi,

Jazakaallahu Kul Khair for all the information above and the useful links. I haven't had the chance to read through everything on the links you have sent me but Inshallah I will on my lunch break.
may Allah reward you for your efforts akhi and keep you and all the believers on the right path.

I have downloaded an app on my iPhone which allows me to read Quran on the go, Inshallah I will use it more often/consistent. it should come in very handy in Ramadan too.

Salam Alaykum wa rahmatu Allah wa barakatuhu

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Salam Alaykum sister,

Amen ya rab
Thank you for all your advise sister.
I do not have many friends who practice, most my friends growing up have been non - muslims, or muslims who didn't really practice. {May Allah guide them us all on the right path}, I hope inshallah I can better myself and maybe one day I can be a good example to influence them to practice.
I do have one sister who I have known for a long time and she has been very helpful and I am trying to spend more time around her but she is married and also has her duties to get on with and usually our free time clash.
My mother and her friends arrange a weekly get together at home to read read Quran and expand islamic knowledge amongst each other. I attend these events but usually they happen whilst I am at uni in the evening.
I live in West London. I have a few mosques around me Alhamdullah. I do not go very often.
I work full time 8am-6pm Mon - Fri, I study at university in the evenings between 6am-9pm and on the weekends 9am-5pm Sat/Sun but Inshallah after the 2nd of June my exams will be over which means I will have more time during the summer (Ramadan especially) to get involved in more activities, go to the mosque more often during Ramadan inshallah.
I also live with my mother who has several disabilities and usually have to do things for her when I have spare time.
I have a Quran app on my phone which helps as I can read wherever I am.

may Allah make it easy for all of us Inshallah.

Jazakillahu Khair Sister. x

Assalamu Alaykum sister,

Where about in West London? PM if you prefer. I will send you a friends request so we can PM each other inshallah.

Jazakillahu khayran

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
Walaykum salaam.
May Allah make it easy for you to worship Him in the best and most pleasing way to Him. Sister, please put a lot of effort into your five daily salaat because if you get that correct inshaAllah everything else will fall into place. And the next best advice I can give you is, make a lot of istiqfaar because that will increase and strengthen your iman and Allah will forgive you. With Allah's forgives comes His mercy and with His mercy, comes His many blessings which the biggest of them all is increased iman and love for Allah and all good things. May Allah make it easy for all us to truly be good Muslims and give up all bad deeds. Amim.

preserver

As-salamu alaykum

i think one special prayer can help every person to be close Merciful Allah with prayers by praying 2 rak'aah salat

on clean room, clean place, clean body, with clean clothing, with honest aim

pray 2 rak'ahs salat (namaz) during the day or the night. Why? see this http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?id=153002&page=articles

see pronhibided times for namas and other http://www.inter-islam.org/Actions/Part8.html#Conditions for Namaaz (Sharaait

turn your body and face to side of QIBLA
Speak: Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem
do it niyyah with heart, do not speak the niyyah (Muhammed a.s. not not spoken the niyyah)
with heart say: i do it niyyah to pray namaz for Allah, to be close to Merciful Allah

after finishing the 2 rak'ahs prayer, give salaam like every namas
after salaam,hands up and pray regular prayers who you like/know
if you pray during night and if you wake up to pray then read ayat 32:16
after thay use rosary on your right hand and do not put down the rosary during to say Amen on finish of the prayer!
after that, read ayats; 2:186, 2:45, 7:180, 17:110, 59:22 to 59:24, 57:3, 27:62,

then pray:
Ya Allah, You are Merciful- ALLAH-HUMMA-FATHA-LI ABWABA REHMATIK (O Allah open the door of Mercy for me.)
repeat Ar-Raheemu - 1032 times
then continue and read ayat 27:1 to 27:03, 13:22, 14:40, 31:1 to 31-05
read ayat 6:162 once and say " Ya Allah, make me one of those who pray"
then repeat Ya-Haadi (Ya Haadee) 80 times
Ya Allah, You accept prayers, accept my past prayers, this and on future
repeat - YAA MAJEEDU - 228 times
say " Ya Allah, make me one of those who pray"
Amen!

for this prayer, is even better to give Zakat to any poor person, by Islamic rules.

insha'Allah your prayer to be accepted.

zaman-gm

Salam Alaykum Wa Rahmatu Allah Wa Barakatuhu to all my brothers and sisters,

I am new to the site, however I am not new to Islam. I was born muslim and my parents taught me to pray, read and write arabic (although it is not excellent).

I used to pray consistently and read Quran growing up and Islam has always been in my heart but as I grew up sadly I was practicing less and 10 years later I now find myself so far away from my Deen.

When I strayed from Islam it only meant I was no longer considering what Allah approves of when pursuing things in life but rather what I desired. Then it all backfired one by one and I found myself in a really dark place.

For about a year now I have been trying to practice, my prayers haven't been consistent but I have definitely prayed more this year than I have in the past 10 years put together but I still get weak :(

2 years ago my prayers didn't cross my mind not even once a day/week or month even but alhamdullah now if I miss a prayer I actually feel guilty. BUT thats not good enough. I don't want to miss a prayer and feel guilty, I wanna feel guilty enough that I make sure I DO NOT miss a prayer.

When I pray I feel really great but most days I feel guilty, sad, bitter, negative, miserable and most importantly empty and that's when I realise that there is still something wrong.

I am just hoping some of you have some advise to help me strengthen my Iman, involve Allah in my thoughts/habits consistently, books I can read, small habits I can engage in, specific prayers, groups, lectures, Sheiks to listen to, maybe even your own experience and how you approached it.

Jazakum Allah Khair my brothers and sisters.
Wa alikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.
If we Keep in mind what is his order on me at this moment it will HELP us to get closer to Allah Swt.
If we can do it first In Sha Allah we will learn what and how to do it as well.

suhel_918

Assalamu Alaikum Sister, :) :lailahaillallah:

Zikr is very important always everytime do zikr and remember :allah: Allah And send lots of blessing (darood) on Prophet Muhammad :saws: (everyday)..
May Allah guide us to the right path :dua:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Sweet sister,
I glanced at the other responses. So if I repeat anything forgive me.

First, get over the guilt. I know many members are going to disagree. However, I am the old one here. Prayer is adoring Allah swt. He, swt, loves us when we are needy. He, swt, loves us to crawl to Him. I have sinned. I have been disobedient to Your Commands. However, here I am seeking You. I am back to you. Alhumdullila. Alhumdullila. Alhumdullila.

Seeking closeness to Allah swt takes a little work. A lifetime. But, you have learned critical lessons when you were away from your deen. Keep writing on this site. There are many good sisters here. Some of us are not near many real-life Muslims. How wonderful it is to talk to a sister on the phone. If you can not talk on the phone write on this site. There is a lot of good information. Trust me I have made lifelong sisterhood with some. InshaAllah, if I can not meet them in this life and Allah swt grants me good in the after-life I will chill with them.

Second, the more you pray the more the need to pray. It is that simple. Keep in mind this relationship with Allah swt is the most important relationship you have. You are blessed as you have a need to pray and follow the Commands of Allah swt. He, in His Mercy and Compassion has softened your heart. How blessed are you.

I pray this makes some sense to you.