Two US soldiers in Afghanistan convert to Islam-paper

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
26 Jul 2007 13:43:47 GMT
Source: Reuters

KABUL, July 26 (Reuters) - Two American soldiers have converted to Islam and married in Afghanistan, a state newspaper said on Thursday.

A U.S. military spokesman said he was checking the reports and pointed out that freedom of religion was enshrined in the U.S. constitution.

The Hewad Daily reported the pair served as soldiers in the U.S. army at Bagram air base which is the hub of U.S.-led operations in Afghanistan and lies to the north of the capital Kabul.

Several dozen Westerners visiting Afghanistan have become Muslims since the Taliban were toppled in 2001, but it was the first time any U.S. soldiers were reported to have converted to Islam.

A religious cleric welcomed their conversion. "If any body embraces Islam, ..., his sins committed in this world will be forgiven and Allah praises him and his family, and will bless him in the coming world too," Hamidullah said

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/ISL286060.htm

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

What dose it make difference if they mention the names or not ?? just wondering !

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

It does make a difference. The US officials will check out the story. Depending on the findings there will be a public announcement. What will be considered are visas, benefits, etc. Let us wait and pray.

salaam alikom

What dose it make difference if they mention the names or not ?? just wondering !

Asalaamalikum,

It makes a huge difference. If a so called Muslim converts to Christianity (i.e. Abdur Rahman) they publicize everything about him, but if it's the other way around they generally don't give much info nor does it make it to the CNN headline.

Even when a Muslim dies in Iraq, Palestine, Afghanistan, Darfur - they don't give their name or anything about their family, but if a Jew or Christian dies they sympathize him/her and their family. They mourn for them, interviews their family, tells you about their childhood, favorite sports, their dreams, etc - you get the point.

mohamedqadar

:salam2: i dont understand why making a big deal about their names.
i would say may allah guide them to the right path.
there are thousands of people converting to islam every year do we have to know their names as well? we should say instead al hamdulilaah.

:salam2:

:salam2: i dont understand why making a big deal about their names.
i would say may allah guide them to the right path.
there are thousands of people converting to islam every year do we have to know their names as well? we should say instead al hamdulilaah.

:salam2:

Asalaamalikum,

I think you are getting it twisted. We are very happy for them - alhamdulillah- all praises due to Allah. Allah guides whom He wills. We are just making comments about the media in general and how it can be so bias against Muslims, not about the men reverting to Islam. It would of been better and fair if they stated their name too that's all. :)