Types Of Abandonment Of The Qur'ān

muslimhanif

In the name of Allāh, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful.

Imām Ibn Kathīr – may Allāh have mercy upon him – said:

"Allāh The Almighty tells how His Messenger and Prophet Muḥammad – peace and blessing be upon him – will say, "O my Lord, indeed my people have taken this Qur'ān as [a thing] abandoned." (Rough Translation of the Meaning of The Noble Qur'ān, 25:30)

This is because the associators did not listen or pay attention to the Qur'ān, as Allah says, "And those who disbelieve say, "Do not listen to this Qur'ān and speak noisily during [the recitation of] it that perhaps you will overcome." (Rough Translation of the Meaning of The Noble Qur'ān, 41:26)

And when he would recite Qur'ān to them, they would talk nonsense or speak about something else, so that they would not hear it. This is a form of forsaking it and rejecting it, and not believing in it is the same as forsaking it, and not pondering its meanings and trying to understand it is the same as forsaking it, and not acting upon it and following its commandments and heeding its prohibitions is the same as forsaking it, and turning away from it in favor of poetry or other words or songs or idle talk or some other way is the same as forsaking it.

We ask Allāh, the Most Generous, the Bestower of bounty, the One Who is able to do what He wills, to keep us safe from doing that which earns His wrath and to use us to do that which will earn His pleasure of preserving and understanding His Book, following its commandments night and day in the manner which He loves and which pleases Him, for He is Generous and Kind."

[Source : Tafsīr Ibn Kathīr, Sūrat Al-Furqān, Āyah No. 30]

Last edited:

muslimhanif

In the name of Allāh, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful.

Imām Ibn Qayyim – may Allāh have mercy upon him – said:

"There are various types of abandonment of the Qur’ān:

- First: To abandon listening to it and believing in it.

- Second: To abandon acting upon it, and ignoring its lawful and prohibited ordinances (ḥalāl and ḥarām), even if one believes in it and recites it.

- Third: To abandon judging by it, and resorting to it as a judge (taḥākum) when there are differences in the fundamentals of religion and its branches.

- Fourth: To abandon pondering over it, and understanding it, and seeking the explanation of it.

- Fifth: To abandon using it as a cure in all types od diseases of the heart, and instead to seek to cure these diseases by other means.

And all of these categories are included in the statement of Allāh, "O my Lord, indeed my people have taken this Qur'ān as [a thing] abandoned." (Rough Translation of the Meaning of The Noble Qur'ān, 25:30)

Even though some of these types of abandonment are worse than others."

[Source : Al-Fawā'īd, P. 111, Ed. Nizār Muṣṭafá al-Bāz, Riyaḍ]

Last edited:

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
Jazaakumulahu kheyran for the great reminder. May Allah safe us from ever abandoning His wonderful Quran. Amin.