USA culture as foreign student

harqalada

السلام عليكم

I study engineering in the USA under sponsorship from my home country. I came here just now, only 2 months ago, and I have never been to the USA or any English country before even though I study the language for many years with many American teachers.

It is difficult for me to get adjusted to the culture here because everything seems to confront Quran. Every daily action.

Should I try to adjust to this and how?

esperanza

revert of many years
السلام عليكم

I study engineering in the USA under sponsorship from my home country. I came here just now, only 2 months ago, and I have never been to the USA or any English country before even though I study the language for many years with many American teachers.

It is difficult for me to get adjusted to the culture here because everything seems to confront Quran. Every daily action.

well of course you will find it very strange coming to western society,,,,you just need to be strong in your faith..you can adjust for ordinary things,,but of course only wihtin the boundaries of your religion,,,all foreign studnets have to make this transition ..inshalla it will be eaiser for you

where are you from originally???

saifkhan

abd-Allah
as-salam 'alaiakum

first of all, I was amazed to see the user picture, one who asked, she is answering!

anyways, yes, this is the very same feeling i got.
the culture is very vulgar and sad to see that it is far away from Islam.

alhamdu li Allah, I hate those things like, Al-bara
but still it makes me sad: when i see the very violation of the laws of Allah.
of course it happens everywhere, but here the violation is even vulgar.
it is pretty sad, where these culture is heading?

and our own cultures (of course there is only one culture for us, Islamic culture, and I'll not say it culture) they are heading to these vulgar culture.
sometimes I think is there no place where like i don't see anything against the law of Allah. then i think again, it is something like the ostrich, who put his head in the sand and thinking nothing is happening.

01.we have to steadfast in Eeman,continuous prayer and supplication.
02. try to spend whatever time you get, to spend it in mosque not only to pray but also to pass time with muslims. like when u are alone in home, it is better not to be, but in the mosque and with muslims.
03. look everything at the sight of Al-bara
04. and have the niyah and continuous prayer to get off non-muslim land (I dont want to create a debate or someting, my personal prayer and thoughts)

i hope your time will pass like a eye-blink, insha Allah subhanahu wa ta'la

wassalamu 'alaikum

dont forget me in your dua', Im also one in this state :) / :(

barakumu-llahu feek

strive-may-i

adopt knowledge, do adjust, demonstrate adeptness of a true muslim...

السلام عليكم

Greetings, so you have moved to US for pursuing higher studies. Congrats! I would like to know whether you are really eager to achieve excellence in your chosen profession.

What I would like to say is ....A person who is in peace with the rituals/ beliefs he has been brought up in (house, town ,city, country, religion), who never had a means to know or never made the effort to know what the culture, and practices in other parts of world are ,arrives to another part of world, he discovers everything alien ..... and bang, culture shock! many face this situation when they move from one place to another, It happens even when the place from and to are practicing same religion, speaking same/ similar languages or from same race but with different culture.

More importantly now, you, find in your own words "everything confronting"to what your Creator has ordered for every human being as being the right path. But Firstly, you know you are on earth with a personal duty here on earth, to thank Almighty for everything he has given, make yourself deserving in Almighty's eyes. And also You are in US with a duty, a duty to your country which is sponsoring your education, and am sure you have agreed and taken oath to fulfill sole purpose - education. You are in US to gain knowledge, which your country thinks, is needed for your countries progress. Your parents are looking forward to it, and am sure, even you are. ( And Prophet has foreseen the need to travel for knowledge, to keep ones promise and do beneficial act for people close to you.. in your case your countrymen)

So gain knowledge, let that be your only focus.... without losing what your religion/culture has thought you. Yes, this is a test of how steadfast is your faith. How peaceful is your existence. Thats exactly how many before you have done it (When i say many i mean believers, includes preachers, business-men, world leaders you approve, Academicians, workers etc.. ), and that's how, I would go about if I were you. There are lots of Muslims in US, who have excelled, both in academics and Imaan, even though they have been brought up there. May you be blessed to make such an acquaintance. There are lot of Muslim Individuals, who have impressed the US colleagues, with harmonious Islamic way of life, May you turn out to be one such... Aameen.

esperanza

revert of many years
as-salam 'alaiakum

first of all, I was amazed to see the user picture, one who asked, she is answering!

anyways, yes, this is the very same feeling i got.
the culture is very vulgar and sad to see that it is far away from Islam.

alhamdu li Allah, I hate those things like, Al-bara
but still it makes me sad: when i see the very violation of the laws of Allah.
of course it happens everywhere, but here the violation is even vulgar.
it is pretty sad, where these culture is heading?

and our own cultures (of course there is only one culture for us, Islamic culture, and I'll not say it culture) they are heading to these vulgar culture.
sometimes I think is there no place where like i don't see anything against the law of Allah. then i think again, it is something like the ostrich, who put his head in the sand and thinking nothing is happening.

01.we have to steadfast in Eeman,continuous prayer and supplication.
02. try to spend whatever time you get, to spend it in mosque not only to pray but also to pass time with muslims. like when u are alone in home, it is better not to be, but in the mosque and with muslims.
03. look everything at the sight of Al-bara
04. and have the niyah and continuous prayer to get off non-muslim land (I dont want to create a debate or someting, my personal prayer and thoughts)

i hope your time will pass like a eye-blink, insha Allah subhanahu wa ta'la

wassalamu 'alaikum

dont forget me in your dua', Im also one in this state :) / :(

barakumu-llahu feek

look carefully...same user picture..different users

CoolServant

maybe this can help a little

السلام عليكم

1-Get a good companion (take the Quran as your first)
2-Be a good companion
3-get more good companion
4-Fear Allah anywhere you are
5-always hold on to surah al-ikhlas and al-kafiruun ...recite them everyday

msmoorad

mommys boy
السلام عليكم

salaams to all

as others have suggested, look for good company.
go to your local musjid & see what kind of people are there, what programmes are held there etc.
then u can choose who u think are the best people to join.
introduce yourself to them & insha allah, things will be much easier.
they will help u get adjusted & not to feel isolated.

even though USA is the worldwide capital of kufr & shirk- theres lots of good, pious muslims there as well.
and, theres many non muslims who are good people - all they need is a good, pious muslim with good akhlaaq to speak to them & you will se them accepting islam.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Well even though you are confronted with haraam things or situations, its easily avoided.

I see pork for sale, I dont buy it. I see girls walking around in half shirts, I look the other way. People may be drinking alcohol near me, I walk to another room.

These things happen all over the world. But perhaps where you live the temptation is removed. As long as you have a strong will power to RESIST such things, you will be okay.