Veiled Muslim woman pressurised to dump Channel 4's alternative to Queen's message

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
London, Dec 16 (ANI): After receiving a number of letters, some abusive, accusing her of trying to upstage the Queen, a Muslim woman who was going to deliver a 6-minute telecast over Muslim women's right to wear the veil on Channel 4 alongside the Queen's own thoughts on Christmas Day, has decided to drop the project.

Khadija Ravat, the Muslim woman was slated to deliver Channel 4's alternative Christmas message wearing a full veil, reportedly backed out yesterday after criticism from inside and outside her community.

Channel 4's message, which has in the past been fronted by the likes of Sharon Osborne and Quentin Crisp, is meant to offer a controversial alternative to the Queen's traditional Christmas Day address on the BBC and ITV. It is thought Channel 4 researchers may have tracked her down after she made a public comment at the height of the controversy when Commons leader Jack Straw said he regarded full veils as a "visible statement of separation and difference".

In a statement, she said that it was the "unexpected publicity" around her decision that made her change her mind.

"My initial thoughts about the programme were that it would be a fantastic opportunity to do something positive and to convey a warm message for everyone to share. However, after careful consideration, I have decided not to appear on the programme. I have no doubt that Channel 4 will continue with its inquiring and sensitive approach on issues relating to Muslims in Britain," The Telegraph quoted her as saying in a statement released through the TV channel.

She refused to elaborate on her decision.

But, a source close to the programme makers said that one of the reasons was that she had been pressurised by senior members of the community who felt it was not her place to talk about Islam. It has also been said that she had received threatening letters from non-Muslims accusing her of trying to upstage the Queen.

Head of the Muslim school where she worked said that she had "erred on the side of caution" after receiving a number of letters, some abusive. Ibrahim Hewitt (50), head of the al-Aqsa Primary School, said: "There has been a mixed reaction. I have known her for a long time, and she is a very sincere person.

Nobody at the school has raised any objections - indeed, parents have come to me and said they were very happy she was going to do it. But some people think she is trying to upstage the Queen, which is certainly not the case. But I think she feels it would rub people up the wrong way." (ANI)

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2:
This is SAD. Nobody will listen when you try to tell them the truth. People make me so angry about these matters (of Muslims). Threatening letters are even more messed up.

One thing I get out of this, however, is: How can people call us Muslims intolerant when we aren't even the ones who bring up/abuse others because of their religion?

ripefig

When I first heard of her intentions to go on TV Christmas day, I was not comfortable with it, I don't know exactly why. I strongly believe that we should voice our opinions and concerns in relation to our Deen, but we should not blend it with events like Christmas etc. Why do it on that particular day when we can do it anytime. I know this is debatable because the sister was not going to do anything wrong and may Allah most high reward her for her efforts. This is just my humble opinion/feelings. I think we should give the message everyday and not wait for an event which don't even pertain to Islam.

:jazaak:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Asalamu Alaykum,

If she had a chance, she should have used that chance, I know I would have ;)

Go away from the script and explain Islam properly. That is 5 Minutes to tell people about Allah , following his Messenger :saw:. To explain how Islam's message is to worship Allah alone without associating any partners with him, the same message that was sent to all the Prophets.

This celebration done on the 25th of December, is based on pagan rituals. Further Pagan practices are the giving of gifts and putting them under a decorated evergreen tree.

Oh, and Jesus was not born in Winter either.

Wasalam

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah

I read somewhere that changed the original day because it coincided with another pagan festival.

:wasalam:

:salam2: wa rahmatullah wa baraktuh
Yep, it's true. The Catholic Church took a Pagan festival that fell on December 25th and turned it into a celebration of Jesus' birthday.