Village 'witches' beaten in India

Almaas

Asalaamualaykum,

InshAllah you're all in the best of health & Imaan.

Village 'witches' beaten in India

Five women were paraded naked, beaten and forced to eat human excrement by villagers after being branded as witches in India's Jharkhand state.

Local police said the victims were Muslim widows who had been labelled as witches by a local cleric.

The incident occurred on Sunday in a remote village in Deoghar district.

Correspondents say the abuse of women who are branded as witches is common, but rare footage of the incident has caused outrage across India.

Police went to Pattharghatia village after being informed about the incident by a group of villagers.

'Possessed'

They have lodged a case against 11 villagers, including six women. Four people have been arrested in connection with the incident.

Armed police have since been deployed to the area.

"On Sunday morning the victims were taken to a playground where hundreds had assembled to watch the ghastly incident," deputy inspector general of police Murari Lal Meena told the BBC.

"No one in the mob came forward to rescue the victims as they were being stripped and beaten up," he said.

The victims are now under police protection.

Police say that people in Pattharghatia believe that certain women in their village are possessed by a "holy spirit" that can identify those who practise witchcraft.

"These women recently identified five women from the same village as being witches who practised witchcraft and brought miseries to the area," a police official said.

Soon, an unruly mob broke into their huts, dragged them out and started beating them up.

Footage of the incident has been aired on television channels in India prompting outrage.

Hundreds of people, mostly women, have been killed in India because their neighbours thought they were witches.

Experts say superstitious beliefs are behind some of these attacks, but there are occasions when people - especially widows - are targeted for their land and property.

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8315980.stm

ShyHijabi

Superstitious, nonsensical behavior from the "cleric." Since when do Muslims think parading a female naked in front of everyone and making her eat her own excrement is a proper way to deal in justice? Furthermore since when do Muslims believe someone can have a "holy spirit" to determine who is a witch? Nonsense...from start to finish.

Almaas

Superstitious, nonsensical behavior from the "cleric." Since when do Muslims think parading a female naked in front of everyone and making her eat her own excrement is a proper way to deal in justice? Furthermore since when do Muslims believe someone can have a "holy spirit" to determine who is a witch? Nonsense...from start to finish.

:salam2:

That's what I was thinking, none of this is Islam, it's just more news to make us look bad. It's also interesting how no names or such are mentioned, the terms 'Muslims' and 'Cleric' seem to do the job.

:wasalam:

Salem9022

Firstly India is not a Muslim country only 10% of India can be classified as being "Muslims" and even amoung those Muslims there are many who cant even be classified as Muslims since they have many Hindu practises like going to Hindu or even Sikh Shrines. There are many Hindu practises which these muslims practise. So you should expect such practises in India. They even had a video of some "Muslims" in India throwing babies from top of buildings and they said they do this as good luck because some ancient saint told them. So these things are prevalent all over India

ShyHijabi

:wasalam:

no where in the article it mentions that these things are done by Muslims. it says that Muslims are victims.

Well the writing is very subtle but they state this was a judgement made by a "cleric" and only Islam has people with that title. I believe Hindus use the term "guru" for their priests...no?

abu'muhammad

Firstly India is not a Muslim country only 10% of India can be classified as being "Muslims" and even amoung those Muslims there are many who cant even be classified as Muslims since they have many Hindu practises like going to Hindu or even Sikh Shrines. There are many Hindu practises which these muslims practise. So you should expect such practises in India. They even had a video of some "Muslims" in India throwing babies from top of buildings and they said they do this as good luck because some ancient saint told them. So these things are prevalent all over India

Assalamu alaykum,

hard to comprehend ! Akhi first of all who are you to judge people’s aqeedah without sound reasoning or proof from shaykh or knowledgeble ummah. Have you learnt the deen completely, entirely . have you started any islamic school, have you sat with the ulamas. Then akhi how could you make such perceptions. Writing on forums is sensible and responsible thing. The forums are not mean to bluff or throw away what we want. Just how many you brought close or moved far that you can analyse later.
The post by member GZK1 even do not mention muslims have done this. The clerics in English not necessarily mean for muslim but also for hindu, Christians, jews and others. Its about hindus, as their religion is entirely based upon superstitions and stories. True muslims won’t even think of that at any place.

I assure you no one is perfect. The same is with Indian muslims or muslims from anywhere. Stereotyping them all is non-sensible, misleading, spreading hatred and animosity. If you think Indians do such things, they may be , Allah knows the best but what your 10% statistics say that you have led fatawa. Have salafs given such statements on anyone’s islam ? This is like breaking back bone of Islam. Being muslim is infact bearing huge responsibility over the shoulder and not merely guessing, assuming on forums of people’s aqeedah, practices . InshaAllah I can assure you of muslims who don’t do the practices that you mentioned. If some muslims have done that may Allah guide them all. I can tell you prophet taught the sahabas deen before that they too did what was in jahiliyyah. So was that full-stop. Watching 2 videos do not make us aalim of the subject. Akhi its all wrong nationalism and poison that you learnt from wrong areas.

Do you dare to ask your great grandfather or grand father that before 60 years who were they, muslims or hindus, practicing wrong things and other stuffs. Its akhi we should ask for goodwill of muslims and true guidance from haq subhanahu. Only Allah can change our positions, bring us closer on the basis of true deen. Nationalities,hatred and other wrongs will not help except aamale-saleha .

Just day by day site standard is reducing seriously. People write bullied things and trolls to just ignite non-sense among others. And like me who have no time to respond. Forums are mean to learn what we don’t know and teach others what we know. And we are not aalims to judge everyone with our knowledge.

Its all controlling own-self , big–hearted and commiting entirely to correct our deen. May Allah accept every muslim, increase them in iman and firm them upon the deen and give them jannat al aala, aameen

mali1

Assalamu alaykum,

hard to comprehend ! Akhi first of all who are you to judge people’s aqeedah without sound reasoning or proof from shaykh or knowledgeble ummah. Have you learnt the deen completely, entirely . have you started any islamic school, have you sat with the ulamas. Then akhi how could you make such perceptions. Writing on forums is sensible and responsible thing. The forums are not mean to bluff or throw away what we want. Just how many you brought close or moved far that you can analyse later.
The post by member GZK1 even do not mention muslims have done this. The clerics in English not necessarily mean for muslim but also for hindu, Christians, jews and others. Its about hindus, as their religion is entirely based upon superstitions and stories. True muslims won’t even think of that at any place.

I assure you no one is perfect. The same is with Indian muslims or muslims from anywhere. Stereotyping them all is non-sensible, misleading, spreading hatred and animosity. If you think Indians do such things, they may be , Allah knows the best but what your 10% statistics say that you have led fatawa. Have salafs given such statements on anyone’s islam ? This is like breaking back bone of Islam. Being muslim is infact bearing huge responsibility over the shoulder and not merely guessing, assuming on forums of people’s aqeedah, practices . InshaAllah I can assure you of muslims who don’t do the practices that you mentioned. If some muslims have done that may Allah guide them all. I can tell you prophet taught the sahabas deen before that they too did what was in jahiliyyah. So was that full-stop. Watching 2 videos do not make us aalim of the subject. Akhi its all wrong nationalism and poison that you learnt from wrong areas.

Do you dare to ask your great grandfather or grand father that before 60 years who were they, muslims or hindus, practicing wrong things and other stuffs. Its akhi we should ask for goodwill of muslims and true guidance from haq subhanahu. Only Allah can change our positions, bring us closer on the basis of true deen. Nationalities,hatred and other wrongs will not help except aamale-saleha .

Just day by day site standard is reducing seriously. People write bullied things and trolls to just ignite non-sense among others. And like me who have no time to respond. Forums are mean to learn what we don’t know and teach others what we know. And we are not aalims to judge everyone with our knowledge.

Its all controlling own-self , big–hearted and commiting entirely to correct our deen. May Allah accept every muslim, increase them in iman and firm them upon the deen and give them jannat al aala, aameen

Alhamdulillah.. I really like the way you responded to the baseless allegations of someone who has no idea of what Indian muslims are like. In addition to what you said, I also would like to point out that India has a significant number of Ulemas/scholars. Moreover the 10% figure of muslims in India (although that is not the right number .. I think its more like 17%) is either equal to or greater than MOST of the so-called muslim nations. As per the PEW research Indonesia has the largest muslims population followed by Pakistan and then India (which I doubt as India does not report its muslim numbers accurately and may be a lot more higher than the reported numbers).