Wal-Mart restricts rice purchases

Min-Fadhli-Rabii

:salam2:

Wal-Mart restricts rice purchases

Rice prices have been hitting record highs

The world's largest retailer, Wal-Mart, is restricting sales of rice at one of its chains - the latest sign of a global shortage of the staple food.

Sam's Club, Wal-Mart's cash-and-carry division, says customers can buy a maximum of four bags per visit.

The limit applies to jasmine, basmati and long grain white rice.

The international price of rice has risen by 68% this year and Wal-Mart said the restrictions were "due to recent supply and demand trends".

There are more than 550 Sam's Club stores in the US.

With food prices rising, customers have been buying basic goods in bulk.

Wal-Mart said it was not restricting the amounts of flour or oil customers can purchase "at this time".

The prices of soybeans, corn and wheat have also soared and are currently near their all-time peaks.

Rice-producing countries like Vietnam and India have curbed exports to keep domestic prices under control and there are fears that Thailand - the world's largest rice exporter - could follow suit.

Rice shortages have sparked protests in several countries including the Philippines, Haiti and Egypt.

Wal-Mart said it was working with suppliers to address the shortage

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7363970.stm

meer suhail

ILM seeker
yeah ,is like the rice kg we used to buy for 30-40 rupees is now around 100 + ruppes ,,,
and i was like what ,
couldnt belive took few seconds to ,thought the grocerer didnt heard me well ,
vexd

ahmad al magtani

Kulo Nuwun
assalamualaikum

i think this is because UN FAO give the worrying statement that world stock of food in danger....so market worrying then the price of food rising
well that is not really happend,in my country rice production estimate surplus 3 million ton and commonly southeast asia there is no problem.