Interesting (Warning - gross) Brown Recluse Spider

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum,

A few days ago, I was putting my shirt on, and there was this giant black spider walking up my chest. I panicked and pushed it off. A few years ago, when I was in Saudi Arabia, I was wearing a nice white thawb, I remember coming out bathroom of a masjid, and a lot of people were looking at me. I looked down and there was a red spider. Yeah, I don't think I get on good with spiders.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Wa`alaikum salaam. That's the one bug I actually like...

But this is highly disturbing.

39760981_8caa02fa17.jpg

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
wa alaikum asalaam

just a week ago I put my hood up as I was at my screen and continued working. Around 5 minutes later I felt something crawling down my face and past my eye.. I thought it was just a piece of thread at first, but when you say giant spider, this one was only about 2cm across.

There was another time I woke up in the night with an itch on my shoulder. I scratched it but it didn't go away, eventually I put the light on, and saw that a big spider (about 10cm across) had dropped her egg sac next to my head, it had hatched and 1000s of baby spiders were all over me and my pillow. I ran into the sea.

But still I can think of much worse things to share my space with.

Sister Janaan, that is disturbing in that they look a lot like dinner?

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Janaan, that is disturbing in that they look a lot like dinner?
Yes, but that's for lunch actually.
I typed "spiders for lunch" into Google and that came up. (I wasn't actually expecting anything like this...) There's a bigger stack her and it looks like they're selling it. Doesn't look appetizing at all to be honest...

7985111404_f38bf9ebbb_z.jpg

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Janaaaan! Whhyyy those cringe-worthy photos? Who eats spiders?

Oh goodness ...

But still I can think of much worse things to share my space with.

I will not rest until I get the last cricket or fly out of the house, let alone my room ... How do you just wake up to feeling itchy ... ? 10cm?! That is ginormous! So ... before going to bed, there were no warning signs? Am I correct in saying I remember you mentioning something about scorpions ... ?

Last edited:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
I typed "spiders for lunch" into Google and that came up.

Okaaay sister Janaan, like every normal person would do.

I think in parts of South East Asia people do eat insects. I do not think the Muslim populace of those places do.

Mahzala

I thought your photos made me oh em gee ... check this one out ... Beauty huh?

article-0-137984DF000005DC-899_634x469.jpg

Okay, in all seriousness, I've had a similar experience. Left my shower robe outside, overnight to dry, and grabbed it early in the morning, before sunrise and forgot to give it a shake before brining it in. And then, there I am, getting ready, after an hour or so, and I notice the spider slowly making its way up my neck ... imagine the journey this thing had ... it looked like one of these ... still remember its furry little body ...

mn16974.jpg

Last edited:

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

Okay seriouly, what is wrong with Janaan typing "spiders for lunch" into google? I mean, if you are feeling hungry, you go to google images and type names of foods, not insects.

Though I find spiders a bit more friendly than the rest of the insect world. Yesterday my brother showed me a spider dangling down from a thread all the way from the ceiling like some rescue worker. We stood for a while watching it fascinated before our mother took it on a broom and threw it outside.

Though one not-fun spider story was when I was riding one of these on my way back:

product-thumbnail-140x140-Tvs-Scooty-Pep-Plus-3281-1328872079303.jpg

And suddenly a big giant spider the size of a person's hand started crawling up on the speedometer. Meaning it must have riding along on the headlight for quite some time. I almost had an accident and crashed from fear. But then I quickly just stopped the vehicle on the side of the road, and stopped some random stranger off the road "Uncle, uncle, please remove this thing!!" He got it off using a bag he had in his hand. Whew. Then I could come home safely in one piece.

Mahzala

Though I find spiders a bit more friendly than the rest of the insect world.

Friendly? What happened to little lady bugs and butterflies and ... and? Okay, the list stops there. They are crawly, and indeed creepy!

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

They have no teeth, and there ends my concern. I mean, I *think* they have no teeth, but they probably do. Never mind. Lady bugs are creepy crawly too.. Butterflies are friendly though.

Well, at least finding a spider is much more preferable than finding a mouse, or a lizard or a cockroach roaming around the house. Or even a mosquito which sucks your blood out.