We Have Really Understood Tawheed?

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Shaykh Saaleh ahl-Shaykh mentions in his explanation of kashf ash-Shubuhaat (Clarification of the Doubts), the following story:

Shaykh-ul-Islam Muhammad ibn Abdul-Wahhaab(rahimahullah) was with his students and after having completed the study of his book 'Kitab at-Tawheed', he wished to start again the study of this book for the 3rd or 4th time.

His students said to him : "O Shaykh, we wish to study another book, a book of fiqh or hadith".
The Shaykh replied: "Why (do you wish to study another book)?".
His students: "We have in fact understood Tawheed, we want to study another science".
The Shaykh: "Wait, I shall give some thought to this".
A few days later, the shaykh came to the lesson with a troubled face. His students asked him the reason for it.
The shaykh explained that he'd come across something which angered him. His students asked what it was.
The Shaykh: "It has been related to me that the inhabitants of a house have sacrificed a rooster (for a Jinn) in front of their door. I have sent someone to confirm this affair".
Some time later, his students asked him about the affair that he had mentioned.
The Shaykh replied: "In fact, the inhabitants of this house did not sacrifice for other than Allaah, but it was someone who fornicated with his mother".
Shocked, his students exclaimed:"We seek refuge with Allaah! He fornicated with his mother? We seek refuge with Allaah! He fornicated with his mother...".

After mentioning this story, Shaykh Saleeh explained that Shaykh-ul-Islam told this story to show them that the statement "We understand Tawheed" is ignorance and is one of the greatest tricks of the Shaytaan.
In fact, they have made greater a great sin [fornicating with one's mother] than shirk which exits from Islam.
Indeed, their hearts were not angered when the shirk that exits from Islam was mentioned.

And this also happens today, when some ignorant people see great sins and are angered by them, but when they hear about Shirk al-Akbar, or see people commiting shirk like sacrificing for other than Allaah, etc. this does not move their hearts.

This proves their ignorance. It proves that they have not understood Tawheed.

Ahadith Qudsi-Superiority of Monotheism

Narrated Abu Huraira (r.a.) Allah's Messenger :)saw:) said: Allah (Most high) said: Among all partners, I am the most dispensable with association. So anyone who performs a deed in which he ascribes to Me others; I will abandon him and his act of polytheism.(This Hadith is sound and reported by Muslim)

Shirk (polytheism) is a sin that if its doer dies without repentance, he will never be forgiven. Verily, whosoever sets up partners in worship with Allah, Allah has forbidden Paradise for him; and the Fire will be his abode.
One whose intention is not pure will deserve Hell. Purity of intention is essential in all deeds.

Narrated Abu Huraira (r.a.): I heard Allah's Messenger (s.a.w.s.) saying:

The first of the people whose case will be decided on the Day of Judgment will be a man who died as a martyr. He will be brought forth. Allah will make him know about His blessings (Which He had bestowed on him in the world). The man will acknowledge them. Then Allah will ask him: What did you do with them? He will say: I fought in Your way until I died as a martyr. Allah will remark: You are lying. You fought so that you may be called a brave warrior. Then orders will be passed against him. So he will be dragged along on his face and cast into Hell.

Second will be a man who studied (religious) knowledge. Then he taught it to others and recited the Qur'an. He will be brought (for judgment). Allah will remind him of His favours (showered on him in the world). He will admit them (having enjoyed them in his life). Then Allah will ask him: What did you do with them? He will reply: I acquired knowledge and imparted it and also recited the Qur'an for Your sake. Allah will observe: You have told a lie, for you got knowledge to be renowned as a scholar; and you recited the Qur'an to be marked as Qari (one who recites the Qur'an according to the rules). Then orders will be passed against him. So he will be dragged along on his face and thrown into Hell.

Third will be a man to whom Allah had made abundantly rich and granted him every kind of wealth. He will be brought for Judgment. Allah will let him know about His gifts conferred upon him in the world. He will recognize them. Then Allah will inquire: What did you with them? He will say: I left no way in which You like money to be spent without spending in it for Your sake. Allah will say: You are lying, You did so to be described as generous (in the society); (It means you got your reward in the world according to your intention). Now you deserve nothing in the Hereafter except Hell). So orders will be passed against him and he will be dragged along on his face until he will be hurled into Hell.

(This Hadith is sound and reported by Muslim and Nasa'i)

The purity of intention is behind any deed. If you spend for show, there is no reward. Eventually, if one loves another for something worldly this shall not count in the Hereafter. But love for the sake of Allah Assawajal is great virtue in the Hereafter. Such love can be a Muslim's love to learn from him or to take as a companion for good deeds, without any worldly considerations, once there is something worldly, the intention is not pure.

Taken from Darussalam
Saying of the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.s.) Having Allahs Statements

halah

:salam2:
Jazka Allah khair ,I think it's very very important for every muslim to know and understand the real meanning of Tawheed because many muslims do many acts of shirk out of ignorance.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

What ever we do should be fr Allah.it requires a steely focus ,but bove all may Allh have mercy on us.we are so ignorant of Allh's rights on us.

samiha

---------
Staff member

:jazaak:

hmm... wow, that is an interesting note about how much we view one act over the other, when one is clear shirk and the other a major sin. :( Sad too, because it's so true. How the socity judges a person, and shirk is minimized.

We do need to know more about tawheed.

wasalam

Karima80

Jazakallahu khayran brother,
So i dont know if i understood it fully, but does that mean for example you shouldn't sacrifice any lamb/cow for a newborn?
But you can sacrifice after ramadaan for the poor..

Forgive me if im wrong or im just thick headed, astaghfirullah
:wasalam:

samiha

---------
Staff member
Jazakallahu khayran brother,
So i dont know if i understood it fully, but does that mean for example you shouldn't sacrifice any lamb/cow for a newborn?
But you can sacrifice after ramadaan for the poor..

Forgive me if im wrong or im just thick headed, astaghfirullah
:wasalam:

No sis :) After the birth of a baby there is an Aqiqah, where they sacrafice animals, but that is all done in the name of Allah. Not to any other thing, and not without any intention at all.

What it means is ... say from this example :

The Shaykh: "It has been related to me that the inhabitants of a house have sacrificed a rooster (for a Jinn) in front of their door. I have sent someone to confirm this affair".

These people, clearly had an intention in their head when sacrificing, and it was for A JINN, instead of having thier intentions pure for the sake of Allah or anything like that, it was being given to a being other than Him. And in a way, that sacrifice was giving the Jinn a position it did not deserve, and consequently doing shirk, which is associating partners with Allah.

That is wrong. It's one of the greatest forms of disbelief, as Tawheed, monotheism and oneness is the core of Islamic fundamentals.

The fact that this OUTRIGHT display of shirk, being the greatest, unforgiveable sin was committed, and these students didn't have any reaction, whereas to the story of fornication held a greater impression, showed that they did not understand tawheed enough.

They sancified family relations enough to be outraged at such a disgusting fithy thing, yet failed to realize the sancity of TAWHEED. That it was a greater right upon Allah, that He alone be worshipped. Their outrage to it should have been greater than the other, as it should have held more priority in their hearts, and it did not seem to have.

:redface: I hope that makes sence, and that I did not drive myself in circles :redface:

wasalam

wa alaikum salam a very beneficial post and great lesson for today. As I read this, I reflect to make sure all my actions are for Allah. If they are not for Allah, I do not do it. something simple like when I buy clothes. Am I buying clothes to show off in them or to be clothe.

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

Tawheed is just not praying Allah (SWT) alone but accepting A-Z of His commandments. Worshiping Allah (SWT) is an aspect of Tawheed but it includes wholesome of subsidiary aspects. Tawheed has mighty expansion and I think it can be covered by one and only one whose heart has indeed acquired Taqqwwa.

Regards.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

Jazakallah khair. That is one hadeeth that really scares me off. May Allaah purify our intentions and accept our deeds.