WEEPING FROM THE FEAR OF ALLAH (SWT)

Appa BK

Muslimah Light
Weeping from the Fear of Allah (SWT)

Allâh the Most High, says:

"Allâh has sent down the best statement, a Book its part resembling each other in goodness and truth oft repeated. The skins of those who fear their lord shiver from it. Then their skins and hearts soften to the remembrance of Allâh" (39:23)

"Those who were given knowledge before it (ie the Jews and Christians) when it is recited to them, fall down on their faces in humble prostration. And they say glory be to our Lord! Truly the promise of our Lord must be fulfilled. And they fall down on their faces weeping and it adds to their humility" (17:107-109)

It has been related on the authority of Abû Hurayrah (ra) who said: "I heard the Messenger of Allâh (saw) say:
Seven will be granted the shade of Allâh on a day when there will be no shade but His. A just ruler, a youth who has been brought up worshipping Allâh, a man whose heart is attached to the mosque, two people who love each other for the sake of Allâh and meet and part upon that, a man who is allurred by a woman of high standing and beauty and he says, "I fear Allâh", one who gives charity in secret so that his left hand does not know what his right hand has given, and a man whose eyes fill up with tears when he remembers Allâh in private" (Bukhârî, Muslim and others)

"The fire will not touch a man who weeps out of the fear of Allâh until the milk returns to the breasts. Also the dust produced in jihâd and the smoke of hell will never co-exist". (on the authority of Abû Hurayrah (ra), reported at-Tirmidhî (hasan sahîh), an-Nasâ'i and al Hâkim (sahîh))

The Prophet (saw) said:

"Toobah (a tree in Paradise whose course runs the distance of a 100yrs. The clothing of the people of Paradise is extracted from within it. Reported Ahmad and others) is for anyone who controls his tongue, whose house is sufficient for him (ie he is content with it) and who weeps over his errors" (on the authority of Uthman (ra), reported at-Tabrâni in al-Awsat as-Saghir, hasan)

On the authority of 'Uqbah ibn 'Amir (ra) who asked
"I said, O Messenger of Allâh! What is salvation?" He replied: "To have control over your tongue, to be content with your house and to weep over your errors". (Reported by Ibn al Mubarâk in az-Zuhd, Ahmad, at-Tirmidhî, and others, sahîh)

Wepping is a Mercy Which Allah Puts in the Hearts of His Servants

On the authority of Usâmah ibn Zayd (ra) who said:
"We were with the Prophet (saw) when one of his daughters send a messenger calling for him, informing him that her small child or her son was dying. So the Prophet (saw) told the messenger: "Return to her and inform her that whatever Allâh takes and gives belongs to Him and that everything has an appointed term, so let her be patient and anticipate Allâh's reward in the hereafter". Later the messenger returned to the Prophet (saw) and said, "Verily she has sworn by Allâh that you come to her". So the Prophet (saw) got up and so too did Sa'ad ibn 'Ubâdah and Mu'âdh ibn Jabal, and I too went with them. The small boy was lifted up to the Prophet (saw) and let out a groaning noise[2], as if he was breathing his last breath. Thereby the Prophet's eyes (saw) overflowed with tears. Upon this Sa'd asked: "What is this, O Messenger of Allâh?" He (saw) replied: "This is a mercy which Allâh puts in the hearts of His servants. And verily Allâh shows mercy to those of His servants who are merciful" (al Bukhârî, Muslim)

The Weeping of the Prophet Muhammad (saw)

Ibn al Qayyim said in Zâd al Ma'âd:
"As for the weeping of the Prophet (saw) it was in the same degree as his laughter. He wouldn't sob loudly and raise his voice, just like his laughter wasn't loud. However his eyes would fill up with tears, until they flowed out, and you would hear the sound like that of a whistling kettle coming from his chest. He would weep out of mercy for the dead, out of fear and compassion for his ummah, out of deep fear of Allâh, upon listening to the Qur'ân. And it was a weeping of longing, love and exaltation, accompanied by fear and khashyah".

On the authority of 'Abdullah ibn Mas'ood (ra) who said:
"The Messenger of Allâh (saw) told me: "Recite to me!" So I recited Surah an-Nisa' until I reached: "How will it be then, when We bring from each nation a witness, and bring you (O Prophet Muhammad) as a witness against these people?" (4:41) Then I looked towards him and behold! I saw that his eyes were overflowing with tears" (al Bukhârî, Muslim and others)[ 3]

On the authority of 'Ali (ra) who said,

"We did not have a horseman with us on the day of Badr except al-Miqdad. Everyone amongst us was sleeping except for the Messenger of Allâh (saw) who was under a tree, praying and weeping until the morning." (Ibn Khuzayman in his Sahîh.)

On the authority of 'Abdullah ibn 'Amr (ra) who said:

"One day during the lifetime of the Messenger of Allâh (saw) the sun eclipsed, so he stood and prayed, until it seemed as though he wouldn't go into rukoo, then he went into rukoo (for such a long time) that it seemed as if he wouldnt raise his head, then he raised his head. He remained (in that position) and it seemed as if he wouldn't go into sujood, then he made sajdah, and (he remained in that position) until it seemed as if he wouldn't raise his head, then he raised his head and it seemed as if he wouldn't go into sujood again, then he made sajdah, until it seemed as if he wouldn't raise his head again. Then he began to breathe heavily and weep, saying, "Lord, didn't You promise me that You wouldn't punish them while I am amongst them? Lord didnt You promise me that You wouldn't punish them whilst they seek forgiveness from you, and we seek forgiveness from you?". When he had finished praying two rak'ah, the sun eclipse had cleared and he (saw) got up and praised and glorified Allâh and then he said: "The sun and the moon are two signs from among the signs opf Allâh, they do not eclipse because of the death or life of anyone. So if you see them eclipse, then hasten to the remembrance of Allâh" (an-Nasâ'î, Abû Dawûd)

On the authority of al-Barâ ibn 'آzib (ra) who said

"While we were with the Messenger of Allâh (saw) he suddenly looked towards a group (of people) and said: "For what reason have they gathered here?" It was said, "In order to dig a grave". So the Messenger of Allâh (saw) became alarmed and startled and he quickly went ahead of the Companions until he reached the grave, then he knelt upon it and I turned my face towards him (saw) in order to see what he was doing. He (saw) cried until the earth became wet with his tears, then he turned to us and said, "O my brothers! Prepare for a day like this"" (al Bukhârî in at-Tarikh, Ibn Mâjah, Ahmad and others, hasan)

On the authority of 'Abdullah ibn ash-Shikh-kheer (ra) who said:

"I saw the Messenger of Allâh (saw) praying with us, and I heard the sound of his weeping coming out of his chest, which was like the sound of a boiling pot". (Abû Dawûd, an Nasâ’î, at-Tirmidhî in ash-Shamâ'il, Ibn Hajar in al-Fath, strong chain of narration, declared authentic by Ibn Khuzaymah, Ibn Hibbah and al-Hakim).

The Path Towards Weeping out of Fear of Allâh

Taqwa of Allâh, dilligently working hard to achieve it, and being sincere in it
Allâh, the Most High, says in the Qur’ân

"Fear Allâh and Allâh teaches you". (2:282)

It has been mentioned in Ruh al-Ma'âni, "Fear Allâh" in what he has ordered you to do and in what he has forbidden you from. And "Allâh teaches you" his laws, which contain your best interests. And weeping is from that.

Allâh, the Most High, says
"As for those who strive hard in Us (our cause), We will surely guide them to our paths". (29:69)

And weeping is also from that. On the authority of Anas (ra) on the authority of the Messenger of Allâh (saw) who said

"Three types of people will find the sweetness of imân; the one to whom Allâh and His Messenger are more beloved than anything else; the one who loves another person purely for the sake of Allâh; and the one who hates to return to disbelief after Allâh has rescued him from it, just as he would hate to be thrown into the fire". And weeping is included in this sweetness. (Bukhârî and Muslim)

Knowledge

Allâh, the Most High, says in the Qur’ân
"It is only those who have knowledge amongst His slaves that fear Allâh" (35:28)

Allâh, the Most High, also says in the Qur’ân

"Say: Believe in it (ie the Qur’ân) or do not believe (in it). Verily! Those who were given knowledge before it, when it is recited to them, fall down on their faces in humble prostration, and they say: "Glory be to our Lord! Truly the promise of our Lord must be fulfilled. And they fall down on their faces weeping, and it adds to their humility". (17:107-9)

'Abdul A'lâ al-Taymee, said with regard to these noble verse:

"Whoever is given knowledge that doesn't make him weep, then clearly he has not been given knowledge that benefits, because Allâh, the Most High, has described the knowledgeable by saying: (17:107)".

Allâh, the Most High, says in the Qur’ân:
"And those who have been given knowledge know that it (the Qur’ân) is the truth from your Lord, and that they may believe therein, and their hearts may submit to it with humility. And verily Allâh is the guide of those who believe in the Straight Path" (22:54)

The Remembrance of Death

There is no doubt that death ends the delights and pleasures of this life, just as the Messenger of Allâh (saw) has told us:
"Increase in your remembrance of the destroyer of all pleasures: ie death. For verily one who remembers it when enduring the hardships of life, it widens for him (ie he no longer feels overburdened with the hardships he is experiencing). Whenever one remembers it at times of opulence, it will cause him to feel restricted and burdened (ie he will not be too involved with this life and will start to reflect on the serious and heavy matters awaiting him)." (an-Nasâ’î, at-Tirmidhî - hasan ghareeb, Ibn Mâjah)

The pleasures are what prevent a tear to be shed, nor any sadness and grief to be felt in the heart. So increase in your remembracnce of death, in an attempt to feel the terrors and horrors that will follow it, fearing an evil destination, so that you may succeed with weeping out of fear of Allâh. Indeed this is easy for the one whom Allâh wishes to make it easy for. On the authority of Ibn 'Umar (ra) who said "I was with the Messenger of Allâh (saw) when a man from the Ansar came up to the Messenger of Allâh (saw) and greeted him with the salâm and then said:

"O Messenger of Allâh (saw) which of the believers are the best?" He replied "Those who are the best in character". Then he asked "Which of the believers are the most intelligent?" He (saw) replied: "Those who remember death the most and those who are best prepared for what comes after it (death). These are the intelligent

On the authority of Abû Dharr (ra) who said that the Messenger of Allâh (saw) said,

"I can see what you do not see, and I can hear what you do not hear. Indeed the sky groans (the large no.s of angels in the sky make it heavy so that it groans) and it has a right to do so. There is not an area equal to that of four fingers, except that an angel is prostrating to Allâh therein. By Allâh! If you knew what I know you would laugh little and weep much, and you would not enjoy your wives in bed. But rather you would come out onto the hills, supplicating and praying fervently to Allâh" (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhî, Ibn Mâjah, hasan)

Reflecting Upon the Magnificent Qur’ân

Allâh, the Most High, says in the Qur’ân:
"Do they not think deeply in the Qur’ân or are their hearts locked up (from understanding it)!" (47:24)

Contemplating over the Qur’ân is one of the strongest ways of reaching the state of weeping. It is necessary for one to take particular interest over the tafsîr of the Qur’ân, in continously seek help from the scholars and the people of tafsîr as much as one can. Read the Qur’ân as if it was revealed to you, as some of the scholars have said. An example of this has been established by 'Aisha (ra) when she said:

"A man sat in front of the Messenger of Allâh (saw) and said: "O Messenger of Allâh (saw) verily I have slaves, they lie to me, are disloyal to me and disobey me. When I came to know about this I scold them and beat them. So tell me how have I been with them?" The Messenger of Allâh (saw) replied: "What they were disloyal to you about, what they disobeyed you in, and what they lied to you about is measured, and the punishment which you inflicted upon them is also measured. If your punishment was equal to their sins, then the scale of balance is equal, it is not for you and nor is it against you. If your punishment to them was not to the extent of their sins (ie less than they deserved) then that is against you". The man then fell back and began to weep and scream. The Messenger of Allâh (saw) said: "Haven’t you read the verse in the Book of Allâh: [/B] "and we shall set up balances on the Day of Resurrection, then none will be dealt with unjustly in anything..." (21:47)
The man replied; "By Allâh, O Messenger of Allâh (saw) I do not see anything better for me and them than they leave me, I call you to witness that all of them are free". (Sunan at-Tirmidhî)

May Allah (SWT) Increase us all in Taqwaa and Imaan and may we all be blessed with Accepted deeds. May all our hearts soften and may Allah (SWT) look on all of us with kindness and love.... INSHA'ALLAH AMEEN

:wasalam::muslim_child:

Source: Weeping From the Fear of Allah (SWT) BY:Shaykh Husayn Al Awaayishah

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty
:salam2: dear sister Nooriah,
JazzakAllahu khairan for a very informatiive post. :mashallah:, it was very heart touching.

Our beloved Prophet Muhammad :)saw:) said, "O followers of Muhammad! By Allah, if you knew what I know, you would weep much and laugh little." [Sahih al-Bukhari, Vol. 8, #627] :girl3:

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
:salam2: Sister Nooriah,
:mashallah: Very very good post indeed. I want to copy it if you don't mind.
Thnks for sharing.
:wasalam: