Well I Never!

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
:salam2:

According to the 2001 UK census 11.62% of Britain's Muslim population are white (this breaks down to just over 4% for native British, 0.06% for Irish and just under 7.5% for other whites). In contrast blacks make up only 6.88% of the Muslim population (of which the overwhelming majority (6.22%) are of African origin).

And before anyone points out there are already more white people than black people in the UK, just remember the situation is the complete opposite in the USA where black Muslims outnumber their white brethren despite having a smaller population base.

So... Why is Islam more popular amongst white Brits and correspondingly less popular amongst black Brits yet the reverse is true across the Atlantic?

I know someone will bring up slavery and the Islamic faith of the forefathers of todays African-Americans, but don't forget today's African-Caribbean-British are also the descendants of former slaves: many of whom also were probably Muslims. Though to be honest I'm not that aware of the subtleties of the subject. Maybe we got ours from mostly Animist regions :eek:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=395

:wasalam: