What Art Forms Are Actually Allowed In Islam?

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
Music's out. I'm pretty sure the visual arts are disapproved of fairly strongly. The telling of tales (i.e. writing and publishing fiction; either in books or in other media) is frowned upon. So what's left? Are we allowed to do anything other than work, study the Quran and other Islamic religious texts and pray?

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:salam2:

I hope you're not whining!! :SMILY149:

I enjoy loads martial arts, sports, paintings (both painting and lookin at paintings!) .. poetry and reading all sorts of books.

I think that you shouldnt be so uptight. Those things are haram which clearly violate the Quran and Sunnah. Not all types of pictures or videos etc are haram.

You will get people complaining all the time and finding something wrong with a lot of things. Sometimes, unfairly and without knowledge. There are some scholars on varying opinions on different matters. Its for you to research and do the best accordingly.

I believe the vast history of art, literature even martial arts (Silat, Moro Kali to name 2) from the different Muslim countries and people are evidence to suggest that there is a lot of freedom for creativity in this realm.

I wish i had more time, so i can do drawings, make watercolour / oil paintings.. write poems and lots of stuff. I really love doing that as well as of course my Islamic studies and worshipping Allah. - Infact, I think these creative things can make people think a lot more about the world around them and about Islam.

There are many Ayah in the Quran where Allah tells us to look at his Signs in this world.

And from among His Signs are the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. Prostrate not to the sun nor to the moon, but prostrate to Allah Who created them, if you (really) worship Him.
Surah: Haa Meem Asajda (41) Aayat: 37

It is He Who sends down water (rain) from the sky, and with it We bring forth vegetation of all kinds, and out of it We bring forth green stalks, from which We bring forth thick clustered grain. And out of the date*!palm and its spathe come forth clusters of dates hanging low and near, and gardens of grapes, olives and pomegranates, each similar (in kind) yet different (in variety and taste). Look at their fruits when they begin to bear, and the ripeness thereof. Verily! In these things there are signs for people who believe
Surah: Al-An'aam (6) Aayat: 99

When you stand infront of a beautiful valley, with trees and fields.. and you see the beauty of Allah's creation and say SubhanAllah, this is itself a sort of "art". Something that really expresses itself and makes an impact on your senses and your heart. - Art means different things for different people. - Islam is a way of life, we build our lives inside its framework. As long as what we do doesnt go outside of that, then it is fine.

It is a strange world where some people will go around condemning everything except those things that are expressedly mentioned time and time again in the Quran and Sunnah, --- Shirk (associating partners with Allah) and Bid'ah (innovating new beliefs and practises into Islam, away from the teachings of the Prophet:saw:)..

---

Fundamental Beliefs in Islam Tawheed and Aqeedah

Islam, the Religion of Ease and Moderation

and lets not forget >>

Allah, most high stated in the Quran:

"Allah intends for you ease, and does not want to make things difficult for you" [2:185];

"Allah does not want to place you in difficulty" [5:6].

Such easiness is well explained in the hadeeth reported by Abu Hurairah, radiya Allahu 'anhu, that the Prophet, salla Allaahu 'alaihe wasallam, said, "Religion is easy..." [Bukhari], he also said; "The best of your religion, is the easiest." [Ahmad]

The easiness of this religion was put into practise by the best of humanity, the one who came to deliver the message, as Allah, subhanahu wata'aala, said;

"Verily there has come unto you a Messenger from amongst yourselves, it grieves him that you should suffer any difficulty, he is anxious for you, for the believers he is full of pity and merciful" [10:128]

Therefore a middle way is always taken. Patience is one of the greatest virtues a Muslim can have.

"And verily, whosoever shows patience and forgives, that would truly be from the things recommended by Allah.'' (42:43)

The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said,"Allah shows compassion only to those among His slaves who are compassionate".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) said, "The strong man is not one who is good at wrestling, but the strong man is one who controls himself in a fit of rage.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Wasalam