What is Salafiyyah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
What or who is Salaf?

The word Salaf is a shortened version of the word Salafus-Saalih, which means the Righteous Predecessors. It refers specifically to the first three generations of Islaam. The first, the Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam & his Sahaabah (companions). The second, the Taabi'een (the followers of the companions). The third, the Tabaa'at-Taabi'een (the followers of the followers of the companions). Generally, this term refers to all those pious predecessors who followed the way of the Salaf and who have preceded us in time.

www.calgaryislam.com

What is Salafiyyah?

It is the way of following the Salaf, in creed/belief, speech and actions, regardless of time or location. It is to understand and implement the religion as was understood and implemented by the Salaf. Following it exactly to the best of ones ability, and to beware and refrain from that which opposes it.

Who is a Salafee?

The person who ascribes and adheres to the way of the Salaf. Just like the one born in a certain country is called the countryman of that country, due to his ascription to it. In other words the person who says "I am one who ascribes myself to the way of Salafus-Saalih, who are the Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam & his Sahaabah, the Taabi'een, and the Tabaa'at-Taabi'een in creed, speech and actions." It should be noted that a mere claim is not sufficient to establish the proof that one adheres to it.

Is it another party/group?

No it is NOT a party from among the parties, regardless of what people may claim. It is only an ascription to the Salafus-Saalih and their methodology, and calling to this noble methodology. It has NO Imaam, except for Abul-Qaasim Muhammad ibn Abdillaah sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam.

Shaikh Salih al-Fawzaan was asked, "Is Salafiyyah a hizb (party) from amongst the parties. And is ascribing to them (i.e. the Salafis) a blameworthy thing?"

To which he replied, "As-Salafiyyah (i.e. the Salafis) is the Saved Sect, and they are Ahl us-Sunnah wal-Jamaa’ah. It is not a hizb (party) from amongst the various parties, those which are called "parties" today. Rather they are the Jamaa’ah, the Jamaa’ah upon the Sunnah and upon the Deen (religion). They are Ahl us-Sunnah wal-Jamaa’ah. The Messenger (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) said, "There will not cease to be a group from my Ummah manifest and upon the truth not being harmed by those who forsake them neither by those who oppose them" and he (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) also said, "And this Ummah will split into seventy-three sects, all of them in the Hellfire but one". They said, which one is this O Messenger of Allaah? He replied, "They are those who are upon what I and my companions are upon today". Hence Salafiyyah is a group of people (i.e. the Salafis) upon the madhhab of the Salaf, upon what the Messenger (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) and his companions were upon and it is not a hizb from amongst the contemporary groups present today. Rather it is the very old Jamaa’ah, from the time of the Messenger (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) which inherits (this way) and continues, and which never ceases to be upon the manifest truth until the establishment of the Hour, as he (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) has informed (us)." (Cassette: "at-Tahdheer min al-Bid’ah" second cassette, delivered as a lecture in Hawtah Sadeer, 1416H).

What is the call of Da'watus-Salafiyah?

It is the pure religion which calls to Tawheed (singling out Allaah) and sincerity of worship. The call of all the prophets and messengers. --Allaamah Ubayd al-Jaabiree

Allaah Has Named us Muslims, So Why Ascribe Ourselves to the Salaf?

This doubt was very beatifully answered by Imaam al-Albaani in his discussion with someone on this subject, recorded on the cassette entitled, "I am Salafi", and here is a presentation of the vital parts of it:

Shaikh al-Albaani: "When it is said to you, ‘What is your madhhab’, what is your reply?"

Questioner: "A Muslim".

Shaikh al-Albaani: "This is not sufficient!".

Questioner: "Allaah has named us Muslims" and he recited the saying of Allaah Most High, "He is the one who has called you Muslims beforehand." (al-Hajj 22:78)

Shaikh al-Albaani: "This would be a correct answer if we were in the very first times (of Islaam) before the sects had appeared and spread. But if we were to ask, now, any Muslim from any of these sects with which we differ on account of aqeedah, his answer would not be any different to this word. All of them – the Shi’ite Rafidi, the Khaariji, the Nusayri Alawi – would say, "I am a Muslim". Hence, this is not sufficient in these days."

Questioner: "In that case I say, I am a Muslim upon the Book and the Sunnah."

Shaikh al-Albaani: "This is not sufficient either".

Questioner: "Why?"

Shaikh al-Albaani: "Do you find any of those whom we have just mentioned by way of example saying, ‘I am a Muslim who is not upon the Book and the Sunnah’?" Who is the one who says, ‘I am not upon the Book and the Sunnah’?"

At this point the Shaikh then began to explain in detail the importance of being upon the Book and the Sunnah in light of the understanding of the Salaf us-Saalih…

Questioner: "In that case I am a Muslim upon the Book and the Sunnah with the understanding of the Salaf us-Saalih".

Shaikh al-Albaani: "When a person asks you about your madhhab, is this what you will say to him?"

Questioner: "Yes".

Shaikh al-Albaani: "What is your view that we shorten this phrase in the language, since the best words are those that are few but indicated the desired intent, so we say, ‘Salafi’?" End of quotation.

Hence, the point is that naming with "Muslim" or "Sunni" is not enough, since everyone will claim that. And Imaam al-Albaani emphasised the importance of the truth being distinguished from the falsehood – from the point of view of the basis of manhaj and aqidah, and that is taking from the Salaf us-Saalih, as opposed to the various sects and groups whose understandings are based upon those of their mentors and leaders and not that of the Salaf, fundamentally.

So Who Are Ahl ul-Hadith?

Author: Shaikh Rabee' bin Haadee al-Madkhalee

Source: Makaanat Ahl ul-Hadith (trans. by Bilal Davies, forthcoming SP release)

They are those who proceed upon the way of the Companions and those who followed
them in righteousness, in clinging to the Book and the Sunnah, biting onto that
with their molar teeth, and letting them (i.e., the Qur'aan and the Sunnah) take
precedence over any statement or code and conduct - whether in belief, or acts
of worship such as dealings and transactions, mannerisms, politics or social
life.

They are those who are firm in regards to the fundamentals of the religion and
its subsections, upon that which Allaah sent down and revealed upon his servant
and Messenger Muhammad (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam). They are those
establishing the call to that with all effort, sincerity and firm will. They are
those carrying the knowledge of the Prophet (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam),
expelling from it the distortions of those who have exaggerated (in its regard)
and the undue claims of the people of falsehood and the interpretations of the
ignorant ones.

They are those who are observant and lie in wait for every group that has
deviated from the way of Islaam, like the Jahmees and the Mu'tazilees and the
Khawaarij and the Rawaafidh and the Murji'ah and the Qadriyyah and all of those
who have deviated from the way of Allaah and have followed their desires in
every time and place - they not affected by the reproach of the blamers, in the
cause of Allaah

They are the group that the Messenger of Allaah has praised and commended in his
saying, "There will not cease to be a group from my Ummah manifest and upon
the truth not being harmed by those who forsake them neither by those who oppose
them until the hour is established." [1]

They are the Saved Sect firm upon that which the Messenger and his Companions
were upon, those who have been distinguished and defined by the Messenger of
Allaah when he mentioned that this Ummah shall divide into seventy three sects
all going to the Hell-fire except one and it was said, "Who are they, O
Messenger of Allaah?" He said, "They are those who are upon that which I and my
Comapnions are upon."

And this is not something we say in exageration or a mere claim, but verily we
speak a reality that the text of the Qur'aan and the Sunnah bears witness to,
which history bears witness to, and to which their (i.e., the Ahlul-Hadeeth's)
statements, their state of affairs, their writings and works also bear witness
to. They are those who put before their eyes the statement of Allaah:

And hold fast, all of you together, to the rope of Allaah. [2]

And His statement:

And let those who oppose the Messengers commandment beware lest some fitnah
befall them or a painful torment be inflicted on them. [3]

They are the most staunch in distancing themselves from opposing the command of
the Messenger and the most distant from fitnah. They are those who make their
constitution:

But no, by your Lord! They can have no faith, until they make you (O Muhammad (sallallaahu
alaihi wasallam)) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no
resistance against your decisions, and accept them with full submission. [4]

They are those who give to the Qur'aan and the Sunnah their true worth and give
it the honour and veneration it deserves, giving priority to them over all the
statements of mankind, and give precedence to their guidance over the guidance
of all the people, and they judge by them in all affairs with complete pleasure,
with chests which are expanded and free of restraint or constriction, and they
submit to Allaah and His Messenger (with) a complete submission in their 'aqeedah
and their worship and their dealings. They are those concerning whom the
statement of Allaah holds true:

The only saying of the faithful believers when they are called to Allaah and His
Messenger (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) to judge between them, is that they say,
"We hear and we obey," and such are the prosperous ones.[5]

They after all of the Comapanions - and at the head of them the rightly guided
Caliphs - are the leaders of the taabi'een and at the head of them: Sa'eed ibn
al-Musayyib (d. 90H), 'Urwah ibn Zubair (d. 94H), 'Alee ibn al-Hussain Zain al-'Aabideen
(d. 93H), Muhammad ibn Hanafiya (d. 80H), 'Ubaydullaah ibn 'Abdillaah ibn 'Utbah
ibn Mas'ood (d. 94H or later), Saleem ibn 'Abdillaah ibn 'Umar (d. 106H), Qaasim
ibn Muhammad ibn Abee Bakr as-Sadeeq (d. 106H), al-Hasan al-Basree (d. 110H),
Muhammad ibn Sireen (d. 110H), 'Umar ibn 'Abdul-'Azeez (d. 101H) and Muhammad
ibn Shihaab az-Zuhree (d. 125H).

Then the Atbaa'at-Taabi'een and at the head of them: Imaam Maalik (d. 179H), al-Awzaa'ee
(d. 157H), Sufiyaan ibn Sa'eed ath-Thawree (d. 161H), Sufyaan ibn Uyayna (d.
198H), Ismaa'eel ibn Ubya??? (d. 193H), Layth ibn Sa'd (d. 175H) and Aboo
Haneefah an-Nu'maan (d. 150H).

Then those who followed them and at the head of them: 'Abdullaah ibn al-Mubaarak
(d. 181H), Wakee' ibn al-Jarraah (d. 197H), the Imaam Muhammad ibn Idrees ash-Shaafi'ee
(d. 204H), 'Abdur-Rahmaan ibn Mahdee (d. 198H), Yahya ibn Sa'eed al-Qataan (d.
198H) and Afaan ibn Muslim (d. 219H).

Then their students who followed them in this methodology, and at the head of
them: the Imaam Ahmad ibn Hanbal (d. 241H), Yahya ibn Ma'een (d. 233H) and 'Alee
ibn al-Madeenee (d. 234H).

Then their students like al-Bukhaaree (d. 256H), Muslim (d. 261H), Abee Haatim
(d. 277H), Abee Zara' (Aboo Zur'ah?) (d. 264H), Aboo Daawood (d. 275H), at-Tirmidhee
(d. 279H) and an-Nasaa'ee (d. 303H).

Then those who proceeded in their way in the generations that preceded them,
like Ibn Jareer (at-Tabaree?) (d. 310H), Ibn Khuzaymah (d. 311H), ad-Daaraqutnee
(d. 385H) in his time, al-Khateeb al-Baghdaadee (d. 463H) and Ibn 'Abdul-Barr
an-Niwaaree (d. 463H).

And 'Abdul-Ghanee al-Maqdasee (d. 620H), Ibn Salaah (d. 643H), Ibn Taymiyyah (d.
728H), al-Mizzee (d. 743H), adh-Dhahabee (d. 748H), Ibn Katheer (d. 774H) and
their contemporaries who lived in their time and those who came after them, and
followed their footsteps in holding on to the Book and the Sunnah up until the
present day.

These are who I mean by Ahlul-Hadeeth.

NOTES

[1] Hadeeth saheeh, collected by Muslim (3/1523), Ahmad (5/278-279), Aboo Dawood
(3/4), Tirmidhee (4/420), Ibn Maajah (1/4-5), Haakim (4/449-450), at-Tabaraanee
in Mu'jam al-Kabeer (7643) and Aboo Daawood at-Tayaalisi (p. 94, no. 689).
Authenticated by al-Albaanee in As-Saheehah (270-1955).

[1] Hadeeth saheeh, collected by Muslim (3/1523), Ahmad (5/278-279), Aboo Dawood
(3/4), Tirmidhee (4/420), Ibn Maajah (1/4-5), Haakim (4/449-450), at-Tabaraanee
in Mu'jam al-Kabeer (7643) and Aboo Daawood at-Tayaalisi (p. 94, no. 689).
Authenticated by al-Albaanee in As-Saheehah (270-1955).

Amirah20

*Bump*

:ma: great post! jazakaAllah khair. more people need to understand about the salafi teaching before they pass judgements.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
*Bump*

:ma: great post! jazakaAllah khair. more people need to understand about the salafi teaching before they pass judgements.

I hope its not me . I have nothing against salafiyyah . They have their own thoughts. What im against is those who taqleed them ( i.e saudi salafee scholars)

Status
Not open for further replies.