What is the islamic ruling regarding dowry?

naz haider

Asslam Alaikum dear sisters and brothers in Islam.
I wanted to know what is the Islamic ruling regarding dowry. I hail from North India and dowry is a big issue here. The grooms family demands lump sum dowry from the brides family which includes cash, goods, vehicles, gold and whatever you can think of.
Also there are so many cases of dowry deaths and incidents where the girl is tortured, beaten up and even murdered for dowry.
Now that I am of marriageable age and my parents are finding a groom for me, I have to know what is the ruling regarding dowry. If you can quote a hadith or some authentic statement, it would be very helpful.
Jazak Allah Khair to all in advance.

stargazer

Clear Skies!
in islam the male has to give to the female not the other way round.

A Muslim father does not have to bother for dowry, as there is nothing called ‘Dowry’ in Islam. On the contrary, Islam enjoins the groom to give a ‘Bridal-Gift’ or ‘Dower’ as a token of love and assurance to his would be wife at the time of marriage. In fact without payment of this sum, the marriage cannot get solemnized. The Holy Qur’an instructs the believers

"And give the women (whom you marry) their dower (obligatory bridal gift) happily" (4:4

The practice of dowry among ignorant Muslims is a result of the influence of the evil practices of the society they live in. Islam does not put any financial burden on the father of the girl. A Muslim father is told to get her daughter married away in a most simple ‘Nikah’ ceremony solemnized by a ‘Qazi’ (priest) in a mosque, witnessed by his close relatives and friends. He is not even required to throw a luncheon to the handful of invitees assembled for this occasion. In fact it is desirable on the part of the groom that he offers a reception (Waleema) to his near ones & dear ones without forgetting the poor people of his society.

The example of such a simple marriage was set up by none other than the Prophet (pbuh) himself. He got his daughters married in the simplest possible manner. There was nothing in it whatsoever for the bridegroom that could be termed as dowry. The Prophet (pbuh) said:

"The best of the marriages is one which is least burdensome in the financial sense to the families of the bride and the groom"

naz haider

Jazak Allah Kairun

Thanks a lot Stargazer, you have really educated me well on this topic. I was dying of worry over this as dowry is a big issue in India. However, there is none important that what Allah SWT has asked his believers to do, and Insha Allah I will keep in mind to have the most simple nikaah and will advice the people I know also to do so...
May Allah bless you for this and every good deed you do.
Lots of blessings for you and your loved ones.
Allah Hafiz. :hearts:

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:,

if you come across a potential groom asking for dowry, close his page and start looking for other one.

spead Islamic position on dowry as much as possible. you could save the humiliating lives of many sisters inshallah.

naz haider

:wasalam:,

if you come across a potential groom asking for dowry, close his page and start looking for other one.

spead Islamic position on dowry as much as possible. you could save the humiliating lives of many sisters inshallah.

:salam2:
Insha Allah I will do so. I have always been against dowry as it is a social stigma and number of girls are tortured for it. Now that I know even the Islamic implications of it, I feel more and more against it. Of course, I will never accept a groom who demands dowry (it will be a big NO for him) and will also try and spread this knowledge as much as possible.
May Allah reward you all for your informative replies.
:hijabi: