What is the symbol of Islam?

Jibran

Asalamaulaikum,

Brothers & sisters alike, What is the symbol of Islam?

In my view,

It cannot be the cresent and the star because the prophet never used it as a symbol for Islam, but rather it was introduced by the turkish muslims.

So what is it? The color white, black, green perhaps?

sky_012

:wasalam: sis/bro

i don't know either the answer to ur question someone aknlowelged member will sure reply but one thing i've read is that each religion has it's own "spcificities" and our religion "specificity" is modesty means "haya"

:wasalam:

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Assalam Alaykum..

About : Taking the crescent as a symbol

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid@ Islam Q&A

=================================================

Praise be to Allaah.
There is no basis in sharee’ah for taking the crescent or star as a symbol of the Muslims. This was not known at the time of the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), or at the time of the Khulafa’ al-Raashidoon (the first four leaders of Islam after the death of the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), or during the time of the Umawis (Umayyad dynasty). It emerged some time after that, and historians differ as to when this symbol was first adopted and who was the first to adopt it. Some say it was the Persians, others say it was the Greeks, and that this symbol was somehow passed to the Muslims.
(See Al-Taraateeb al-Idaariyah by al-Kittaani, 1/320).

It was said that the reason why the Muslims adopted the crescent was that when they conquered some western countries, the churches there had crosses on top of them, the Muslims replaced the crosses with these crescents, and the practice spread in this way. Whatever the case, symbols and banners must be in accordance with the teachings of Islam, and as there is no evidence that this symbol is prescribed by Islam, it is better not to use it. Neither the crescent nor the star are symbols of the Muslims, even though some Muslims may use them as symbols.

As regards what Muslims think about the moon and the stars, they believe that they are part of the creation of Allaah, and as such can neither benefit nor harm people, and they do not have any influence over events on earth. Allaah has created them for the benefit of mankind, an example of which is seen in the aayah or verse of the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning):
“They ask you (O Muhammad) about the new moons. Say: These are signs to mark fixed periods of time for mankind and for the pilgrimage…”
[al-Baqarah 2:189]

[The commentator] Ibn Katheer said, explaining the phrase Say: these are signs to mark fixed periods of time: “From them (the new moons) they may know the times for repaying loans, the ‘iddah (waiting period) of their women [after being divorced or widowed] and the timing of their Hajj (pilgrimage)… Allaah has made them signs to mark the times when Muslims should start to fast and break their fast [the beginning and end of Ramadaan], to count the ‘iddah of their women and to know the times for repaying loans.” (Tafseer Ibn Katheer).

[Another commentator] Al-Qurtubi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his commentary on this aayah [verse]: “This explains the wisdom behind the waxing and waning of the moon, which is to avoid any confusion in appointed dates, dealings, oaths, Hajj, ‘iddah, fasting, breaking fasts, length of pregnancy, rentals and other matters that concern mankind.
Similar to this aayah are others (interpretation of the meanings):
‘And We have appointed the night and the day as two aayaat (signs). Then, We have made dark the sign of the night while We have made the sign of day illuminating, that you may seek bounty from your Lord, and that you may know the number of the years and the reckoning…”
[al-Isra’ 17:12]

‘It is He Who made the sun a shining thing and the moon as a light and measured out its (their) stages, that you might know the number of years and the reckoning…’
[Yoonus 10:5]

Counting the new moons is easier than counting days.”
(See Tafseer al-Qurtubi).

With regard to the stars, the scholars of Islam say that Allaah created these stars for three reasons: to adorn the heavens, to drive away the devils (shayaateen) and as signs for navigation.
(Saheeh al-Bukhaari, Kitaab Bad’ al-Khalq),
as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“It is He Who has set the stars for you, so that you may guide your course with their help through the darkness of the land and the sea…”
[al-An’aam 6:97]

“And indeed We have adorned the nearest heaven with lamps, and We have made such lamps (as) missiles to drive away the shayaateen (devils), and have prepared for them the torment of the blazing Fire.”
[al-Mulk 67:5]

<wasalam>
islamicfajr​

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
The symbol of Islam is the Shahada we don't need nothing more.

As for the symbol, Muslims worship Allah (God), therefor they reject any kind of idol worshipping. Some Muslims have invented the symbol of a crescent , but this is not authentic and it is considered as an innovation in Islam.

<wasalam>

Jibran

Asalamaulaikum,

Quite ironic that many muslim flags have the symbol on their flags to represent their islamic states, such as Pakistan. I would assume the Ottomons influenced this relic

chansky

The symbol of Islam is the Shahada we don't need nothing more.

I m very agreed with you omar, as very known that those symbols doesn't not mean for us anything, but other poeple who are use to symbolize everything by icons choosed that symbol for islam, is not a big deal for us we didn't adopt it for ourselves but we don't refuse it as well, there is nothing in the actual symbol that touches the dignity of islam, so we can not have 1 billion of muslim who are use to it, and 5 other billions of other who are used to it also change their mind and just tell them islam has no symboles, ...this can be a huge fitnah:astag:

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2:
Technically, there is no symbol for Islam. But, if I had a say, I would make it a Calligraphic Version of الله.

alhamdulillah

Bismillah,

Assalamualaykum dear all.

I think Br islamicfajr highlighted a very important point here:

As for the symbol, Muslims worship Allah (God), therefor they reject any kind of idol worshipping. Some Muslims have invented the symbol of a crescent , but this is not authentic and it is considered as an innovation in Islam.

<wasalam>

Masha'Allah, this is very true. We need to remember that 'Every Bid'ah is an innovation, every innovation is a misguidance and any misguidance is a path to Hell-Fire'. I ask Allah to save us all from its fierce heat, Ameen ya Rabb'al Alamin.

Also the Prophet :saw: informed us that 'Anything that was not sanctioned by him :saw: and his companions (radi'Allahu anhum), will be rejected and thrown on their faces on the Day of Judgement'. So we must be very careful and adhere to the teachings of the Glorious Qur'an and the precious Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Muhammad :saw: Insha'Allah, and may ALLAH enable us to do so, Ameen.

May Allah keep us all as part of the Prophet's :saw: Ummah, Ameen!

Wasalam

alhamdulillah

Bismillah,

Assalamualaykum wa'Rahmatullah,

Bid'ah concern the thing which touch to "Ibâdates" pay attention to this.

Sorry, but im not getting the gist of what your trying to say?

You may wish to read the following:

* The root of the word bid’ah in Arabic means initiating something without any precedent. For example, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“The Originator of the heavens and the earth…” [al-Baqarah 2:117]
In the terminology of sharee’ah, bid’ah means something that has been introduced into the religion of Allaah that has no general or specific basis to support it.
================
Another Defination..
It is defined as: any invented way in religion that is aimed at worshipping or drawing closer to Allaah. This means anything that is not referred to specifically in Sharee'ah, and for which there is no evidence (daleel) in the Qur'aan or Sunnah, and which was not known at the time of the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his Companions (Radi'Allahu anhum).

Jareer ibn 'Abdullaah al-Bajali (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "The Messenger of Allaah :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: 'Whoever starts a good thing and is followed by others, will have his own reward and a reward equal to that of those who follow him, without it detracting from their reward in any way. Whoever starts a bad thing and is followed by others, will bear the burden of his own sin and a burden equal to that of those who follow him, without it detracting from their burden in any way.'" (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, no. 2675. He said, This is a saheeh hasan hadeeth)

The Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stated repeatedly that: "Every newly-invented thing is a bid'ah (innovation), every bid'ah is a going astray, and every going astray will be in the Fire." (Reported by al-Nisaa'i in al-Sunan, Salaat al-'Eedayn, Baab kayfa al-Khutbah).

When a person innovates something and adds to the deen something that does not belong to it, he is implying a number of bad things, each worse than the last, for example:
That the religion is lacking, that Allaah did not complete and perfect it, and that there is room for improvement. This clearly contradicts the statement in the Qur'aan (interpretation of the meaning): "… This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion…" [al-Maa'idah 5:3]
Following bid'ah leads to the cancelling out of sunnah practices and the ways of the salaf. Real life bears witness that whenever a bid'ah is followed, a sunnah practice dies out; the reverse is also true.

We ask Allaah to save us from the misguidance of personal whims and from all trials whether they are open or secret, Ameen!

Wasalam

Jibran

Asalamaulaikum brother rizzumd,

Bid'ah translated in english means innovation

INNOVATION: [www.dictionary.com]

1. something new or different introduced: numerous innovations in the high-school curriculum.

2. the act of innovating; introduction of new things or methods.

Salam.

acedoc

"Symbol" of Islam

Asalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah

Bismil Allah ar Rahman ar Raheem- We prasie Alalh alone. Blessinsg upon His Last prophet Mohammad (sws)

Quran says of the Mushrikeen (those who accept any other god except Allah) that they pray to idols and then they say "these idols are only for them to get close to Allah". Thus it is very common form of misguidance amongst the non-belivers i.e. to be diverted from the TRUTH by taking symbols. For example in Hinduism, Christianity and many other form of beliefs through-out the history where humans have taken other "gods" other than Allah. But they started out by taking other "symbols" to approach their Creator (Allah).

There is NO GOD BUT ALLAH...and there is NO symbolism in Islam.
Only the word of Allah Quran and hadith of our beloved prophet Mohammad (sws) represents Islam. Anyone or anything else representing Islam other than what is confirmed by the Quran and Hadith will surely be misguided. All innovations is misguidance and all misguidance will surely lead to fire. May Alalh prtect us all from amy innovation or following the ways of the misguided. Ameen

http://www.islamawareness.net/Dua/Fortress/

was salamu aliakum wa rahmatullah
acedoc

acedoc

what is Bid'a (innovation in any matters of Islam)

Asalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah

The following is a link discussion from Islam Q and A
www.islam-qa.com

on issues of Bid'a. Please get yourself fimialiarized with this issue. On the day od judgement when some "muslims" will approach the prophet Mohammad (sws) tehy will be turned back by angels. The prophet will be told taht tehse peopel created innovations in the Deen (islam) thus are not a part of his ummah (natioN) any longer. May Allah make us stick ONLY to the True message of the Quran and hadith. ameen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

here is that article by sheikh Munajjid: to see complete article go to

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=10843&ln=eng&txt=bid'a

Question:
can we call people who do shirk and bid'ah muslims?

Answer:

This question involves two issues, bid’ah (innovation) and shirk (polytheism, association of others with Allaah).

A. Bid’ah.

This issue may be divided into three topics:

1. Definition of bid’ah 2. Categories of bid’ah 3. Rulings on one who commits bid’ah – does that make him a kaafir or not?

1. Definition of bid’ah.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “According to sharee’ah, the definition is ‘Worshipping Allaah in ways that Allaah has not prescribed.’ If you wish you may say, ‘Worshipping Allaah in ways that are not those of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or his rightly guided successors (al-khulafaa’ al-raashidoon).’”

The first definition is taken from the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not ordained?” [al-Shooraa 42:21]

The second definition is taken from the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who said:

“I urge you to adhere to my way (Sunnah) and the way of the rightly-guided successors (al-khulafa’ al-raashidoon) who come after me. Hold fast to it and bite onto it with your eyeteeth [i.e., cling firmly to it], and beware of newly-invented matters.”

cOuNtInG

salam. thnk you for all explanations, bt i have found a website of apostates ***** claiming that ALLAH (SWT) is a moon god(ALLAH is associated with the moon), that's why every mosque is symbolized with moon or crescent atop it. and it's also stated that "Islam is intimately connected with the moon. All its rituals are based on the sighting of the moon or on the moon calendar". then i realized that some of them are true(the symbol and sighting of the moon).

OmarTheFrench

Find a Hadith or Quran Verses where the Prophet of God Talk about the symbol of Moon ?

You will find neither.

Allah is associated at nothing

'A'ishah, may Allah be pleased with her, reported:
There was a solar eclipse in the time of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him). He stood up to pray and prolonged his stand very much. He then bowed and prolonged very much his bowing. He then raised his head and prolonged his stand much, but it was less than the (duration) of the first stand. He then bowed and prolonged bowing much, but it was less than the duration of his first bowing. He then prostrated and then stood up and prolonged the stand, but it was less than the first stand. He then bowed and prolonged his bowing, but it was less than the first bowing. He then lifted his head and then stood up and prolonged his stand, but it was less than the first stand. He then bowed and prolonged bowing and it was less than the first bowing. He then prostrated himself; then he turned about, and the sun had become bright, and he addressed the people. He praised Allah and lauded Him and said: The sun and the moon are two signs of Allah; they are not eclipsed on account of anyone's death or on account of anyone's birth. So when you see them, glorify and supplicate Allah, observe the Prayer, give alms. O Ummah of Muhammad, none is more indignant than Allah when His servant or maid commits fornication. O people of Muhammad, by Allah, if you knew what I know, you would weep much and laugh little. O Allah witness, I informed them.