What to do with haram things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sana2u

I am new to Islam and was doing some cleaning and have compiled a few things that are haram (example: cd's, figurines of animals, musical instrument). What do I do with them?

I have sold some of the things recently before I realized that that was wrong to do. :shymuslima1: However, is it okay if I donated the money to charity? What about the things I still have. Can I sell them and give the money to charity? If not, what do I do with them? The musical instrument I would never be able to throw out either as my mother would never allow it.

Jazakallah khair!

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
I am new to Islam and was doing some cleaning and have compiled a few things that are haram (example: cd's, figurines of animals, musical instrument). What do I do with them?

I have sold some of the things recently before I realized that that was wrong to do. :shymuslima1: However, is it okay if I donated the money to charity? What about the things I still have. Can I sell them and give the money to charity? If not, what do I do with them? The musical instrument I would never be able to throw out either as my mother would never allow it.

Jazakallah khair!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:salam2:

:ma:

Dear sister
I suggest you to get in contact with the Islamic religious council
in your country to assist and guide you.If you really are getting rid of things and are still in good use i understand they are the right place to contact. ~Insya'allah.

~May Allah swt help and guide you~Amin!

Take care!
~Wassalam:SMILY259:

saifkhan

abd-Allah

Jazakallah khair!

as-salam 'alaykum warahamtu-llahi wa barakatuhu

alhamdu li Allah

masha Allah you became Muslim.

Allah guides whom He wills.
and Allah guides who wishes to be guided.

subhan Allah.

as far as the musical instrument is concerned, you have to destroy it.
for me, when I was jahl (ignorant), being a Muslim i used to play guitar, may Allah forgive me for my past sins.

however i had 5 guitars in my home, and i've destroyed two of my guitar with my hands, one is taken by my friend, and other two are still in home, though i don't live in home now and my brothers play those, may Allah rectify their condition.

even if we sell it and give the money to charity, (1)we can't expect any reward from that and moreover (2)we don't have the authority to deal with haram things, rather we should destroy for the sake of Allah.

sister, you are new, alhamdu li Allah, may Allah help you to attain the knowledge and love of Islam.

what is disliked by Allah, should be disliked by us, and what is beloved to Allah
should be our beloved.
Al-wala: love for the sake of Allah
Al-bara: hate for the sake of Allah

if i give an example: if there is no niyah (intention),and al-wala what is the difference between you and a non-muslim, in the case of covering yourself with hijab or niqab. a non-muslim can also cover herself, but will that receive any reward.

if we say yes(which is actually not), then what is a big deal in being a Muslim, if a non Muslim is getting reward without following or worshipping Allah azza wa jal.

I hope you understand insha Allah,
you are new to Islam, may be these things are hard to understand, but may Allah help you to attain the best of the level of Eeman and knowledge.

forgive me if my words are not easy to understand, i know I'm not good in writing, may Allah strngthen my writing.

wa-llahu a'lam
wassalamu 'alaykum

ayesha.ansari

one of my brother have explained it in great way,, if you are going to give some thing in charity, that must be your own, that must be of Halal.. if you thing than go on giving this...

ummsami89

Salam aliakum. Why cant you just drop it off at Goodwill? Then you wont get any financial benefit and you will feel like you did something good for someone else still? Thanks..Sister.. I am a convert too. of 11 years.. Maashallah. If you have any q, pm me and we can chat, inshallah. have a good day. Jamie

JenGiove

I found this on Islamqa.com. I hope it helps you.

He has repented from listening to music; what should he do with the CDs?
ar - en

I recently came back to the deen (Alhamdulillah!!)- but before I started practicing I listened to alot of music, I therefore have many many cds. Now I have packed away all of these cds but my question is: Is is permissible for me to give them away, ie to a charity shop or to other people (i will not be taking money for it)- as I am under the impression that I should not give haram things to people because then they will be doing haram. Please clarify.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:​

We praise Allaah for having enabled you to repent and having guided you to the straight path. We ask Allaah to guide you and us, and make us more steadfast.​

Secondly:​

What you have mentioned about it not being permissible to give to others that which will help them to do haraam things is correct.​
Based on this, what you have to do is erase the music that is on these CDs, then make use of them by copying useful things onto them, or giving them to a charity to copy useful things onto them.​

If you cannot copy anything onto them, then you have no choice but to destroy them. It is not permissible to give them to someone who will listen to them, whether that is by selling them or giving them, to a person or to a store, because that is helping in sin and transgression.​

See also question no. 13754.​

And Allaah knows best.

I tried to find the other question referenced but it led to a dead link so the site may have merged two questions into one answer.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

I would like to remind my fellow brothers and sisters to seek and give answers pertaining to the religion with knowledge of the deen. These answers should be sought from the guidance of the revelation ie Quran and Sunnah. And should not be based on personal opinions/inferences. If one is not certain about the answer, then it is better for him/her to remain quiet and seek the answer from our scholars and learned.

As to answer the thread starter's question, it would be best to destroy them as these things are impermissible if one is in a position to do so. (also mentioned in Islamqa fatwa linked above)

Also, there is a hadeeth that states : “Whatever Allaah has forbidden, its price is also forbidden.” (Reported by al-Daaraqutni, 3/7; it is a saheeh hadeeth). So it wouldn't be permissible to sell it either.

And Allah knows best.

The thread starter may start a different thread if there are more questions to be answered.

Wasalaamalaykum

JenGiove

Information regarding Goodwill and Salvation Army

From Goodwill's Q&A pdf
http://www.goodwill.org/about-us/newsroom/press-kit/

What are the types of industries in which Goodwill can help people find jobs?

Local Goodwill agencies build revenues and create jobs by contracting with businesses and government to provide a wide range of commercial services, including custodial, packaging and assembly, food service preparation, document imaging and shredding, groundskeeping, and administrative support. Some of these businesses include renownd organizations such as the Internal Revenue Service, General Electric, General Motors, SE Johnson, Whirlpool, and the US Army, Air force, Navy, and Marines.

From the Salvation Army's "About Us-What we believe-Salvation and Service" page

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn...238025732500315746?openDocument&charset=utf-8

Salvation

The Salvation Army was founded as an evangelical organization dedicated to bringing people into a meaningful relationship with God through Christ. Its doctrinal basis is that of the Wesleyan-Arminian tradition. It is composed of persons who are united by the love of God and man, and who share the common purpose of bringing others to Jesus Christ. The word salvation indicates the overall purpose of the organization—to motivate all people to embrace the salvation provided to them in Christ.

The word army indicates that the organization is a fighting force, constantly at war with the powers of evil. Battles are effectively waged through an integrated ministry that gives attention to both body and spirit. It is a total ministry for the total person. The Army cooperates with churches of all denominations to meet the needs of the community. Those who have drifted away from God and those estranged from their own religious affiliations are often attracted to The Salvation Army.They are first urged to seek Christ for pardon and deliverance from sin. Then they are encouraged to return to active membership in their

Active Service

Christianity is synonymous with service for the Salvationist. The distinguishing feature in the religious life of The Salvation Army is active participation by its members.

Corps community centers are the focus of the spiritual work and are organized in a military manner, using military terms throughout. The corps building is sometimes known as the “citadel.” The pastor serves as an “officer.” Members are “soldiers.” This sphere of activity is known as the “field.” Instead of joining The Salvation Army, members are “enrolled” after signing the “Articles of War.” When officers and soldiers die, they are “Promoted to Glory.”

Soldiers are disciples of Jesus Christ and are expected to accept responsibility in the work of The Salvation Army. Whenever possible, they participate in Army meetings. Soldiers may teach Sunday-school classes, play musical instruments, join the band, assist the corps officer in visitation among the poor and sick, or aid in general social work. Soldiers abstain from the use of alcoholic beverages, drugs and tobacco.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
. According to him Muslims can not give to Goodwill, the Salvation Army,..and I gently remind him be careful brother...

so according to you, we can give charity to these organisations?
give evidence please.

wassalam

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Assalaam walaikum,

Allah creates and recreates.

As to the digression:http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/3854. Please!!!!

as-salam 'alaikum

I think you should go through with attention.

Goodwill pays US army, navy air force: who are at war against us, right now
salvation army: propagation of Christianity.

while there are thousands of mosques are not being built because they don't have money (in US and west), they don't have the money to pay their Imam, why we should give sadaqah to non-Muslims?

we can surely give our charity to poor non-Muslims and for that why should we join any 3rd hand?

and the current state of Muslims in the term of solvency/poverty, I think I don't have to explain, how can we forget our brothers and sisters in Islam. the list of the poor countries contain a lot Muslim majority nations. insha Allah we gonna overcome the situation soon, it is also because of the capitalism economy theory of the west and non-muslims.

Allahu a'lam
wassalam

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

The question was raised regarding giving prohibited items such as musical cds, musical instruments and animal figurines to non muslims.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Help you one another in Al‑Birr and At‑Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression” [al-Maa’idah 5:2]

Therefore, it would not be permissible to give prohibited items to non muslims as we are not supposed to assist someone in sin and transgression. (Also, mentioned in the fatwa provided by JenGiove concerning musical cds).

Another issue raised was regarding Christian charities such as Red Cross, Salvation's army etc. These organizations use charity as a tool to propagate Christianity in various parts of the world.

As muslims, we should not be assisting them in their pursuits (to spread Kufr and Shirk), rather we should form/support our muslim charity organizations and bring people's (including non muslims) heart closer to Islam.

A good example of this in the recent past was Islamic Relief USA's efforts in the relief work that took place after Haiti earthquake. A lot of Haitians appreciated muslims extending a helping hand to them. Also, some of them were moved by observing the piety and noble character of muslims involved in the aid work. And (if I remember correctly) there were a few Haitians who accepted Islam Alhamdulillah.

And Allah knows best.

I hope the matter is clarified now InshaAllah.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Status
Not open for further replies.