What to say when asked where is Allaah

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Ash-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih Al-'Uthaymeen (rahimahullaah) was asked about what o*!ne should say when asked "Where is Allaah?" The Shaykh was asked:
Concerning the statement of some of the people when they are asked, "Where is Allaah?", they reply, "Allaah is present everywhere." Or they say, "He is present." Is this type of reply correct in this general unrestricted sense?

Answer:
This answer is false and it is not correct unrestrictedly or restrictedly. If the person is asked, "Where is Allaah?" He should say, "Above the heavens", just as the woman answered the Prophet (Sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) when he asked her, "Where is Allaah?" She said, "Above the heavens."

In reference to whoever says, "He is present", o*!nly, then this is a type of evading the answer and dodging it. In reference to whoever says, "Verily, Allaah is everywhere", and he means that Allaah himself is actually everywhere, then this is disbelief (Kufr), because it is denying what is proven by the texts. Rather, it is even denying the recorded evidences, the intellectual evidences and even the natural nature, that guide us to believe that Allaah, exalted is He, is High above everything, and that He is above the heavens, and He has risen over His Throne.

Ash-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih Al-'Uthaymeen

Source: Al-Fataawaa Ash-Shar'iyyah fil-Masaa'il il-'Asriyyah min Fataawaa 'Ulamaa' il-Baladil-Haraam, pp. 28-29.Translation: Aqeel Walker

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
:salam2:

Al Imam As Shafii said:
The statement concerning the Sunnah, which I am upon and which I have seen our companions, the people of hadeeth, to be upon, those whom I have seen and taken from like Sufyaan and Maalik and other than these two is the affirmation of the testimony that there is no deity worthy of worship besides Allaah, and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah; and that Allaah the Exalted is above His Throne, above the sky (fis-sama)** He draws close to His creation how ever He wishes, and that Allaah the Exalted descends to the lowest heaven how ever He wishes.

Imaam Maalik was asked about the Aayat in Surah Taaha, 'Allah is above His Ársh', he answered 'Being above (Istawaa) is known but the reality is unknown and - questioning that - is innovation.

The best and safest option is the stance adopted by our Salaf (pious predecessors), i.e. to believe in Allah as He is without delving into the details on these issues. (Al-Iemaanu billaah).
Once a form/shape is attributed to Allah, a deficiency is being attributed to Allah Ta’ala. Since, time and place are both created things. Allah was how He was and still is the same. He is not affected by the passing of time. It is, therefore, improper to say Allah is on the Arsh. Similarly, it is improper to say Allah is everywhere.

Joanna-Aisha

Assalamu alykoum wa rahmatu Allahu we barakatu! It's amazingly interesting. To be honest, I have never thought about Allah (swt) in this way:)