WHAT'S YOUR NAME?

Skywalker

As-salamo'alaikum,

'What's there in a name'?

A name is merely a mark, a representation of self, object, or place. In essence, a name is not much more than the sum of it's letters. It may be heavily important in verbal and educated societies, but the name does not make the person it labels; that is the choice of the person or objects named.

I apologize in advance if my post is found to be offensive...just a personal opinion...lolz..I know the importance of NAMES but my opinion could be regarded as just another way to look at it.

Please take it in good humor.

Abu_Luqmann

:salam2:
Al-Baraa
I dare anyone to know what it means

Assalamualaikum,

My dear brother, I request you to take the following post seriously.

Sura Najm Verse 32
Those who avoid great sins and Al-Fawahish (immoral sins) except Al-Lamam -- verily, your Lord is of vast forgiveness. He knows you well when He created you from the earth (Adam), and when you were fetuses in your mothers' wombs. So, ascribe not purity to yourselves. He knows best him who has Taqwa.)

Sahih Muslim
Book 025, Number 5334:
Ibn Abbas reported that the name of Juwairlya (the wife of the Holy Prophet) was Barra (Pious). Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) changed her name to Juwairiya and said: I did not like that it should be said: He had come out from Barra (Pious). The hadith transmitted on the authority of Ibn Abi 'Umar is slightly different from it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Book 025, Number 5335:
Abu Huraira reported that the name of Zainab was Barra. It was said of her: She presents herself to be innocent. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) gave her the name of Zainab.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Book 025, Number 5336:
Zainab, daughter of Umm Salama, reported: My name first was Barra. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) gave me the name of Zainab. Then there entered (into the house of Allah's Prophet as a wife) Zainab, daughter of Jahsh, and her name was also Barra, and he gave her the name of Zainab.

Book 025, Number 5337:
Muhammad b. 'Amr b. 'Ata' reported: I had given the name Barra to my daughter. Zainab, daughter of Abu Salama, told me that Allah's' Messenger (may peace be upon him) had forbidden me to give this name. (She said): I was also called Barra, but Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Don't hold yourself to be pious. It is God alone who knows the people of piety among you. They (the Companions) said: Then, what name should we give to her? He said: Name her as Zainab.

If the name has some other meaning and is not related to 'al birr', my apologies!

salam

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:salam2:
My name is Kashif..obviously!!Lol....I dont know what it exactly means,but someone told me it means 'revealer of mysteries'.I'm not sure about it,if anyone knew the exact meaning of my name please do enlighten me because it is embaressing at times when people ask you what your name means and you stare back at them like a dumbo :(

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
thats not true, abt Allaah azza wa jall calling the rasuul (s.a.w) yasin.

As-salaamu `alaykum

Weak Ahaadeeth from what I know, although An-Nawawi held some regarding Yaa-Seen to be authentic.

My name is Suhaib. Connotations of the name include the colour red and the companion, Suhaib Ar-Roomee.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu Aleicoum dear brothers and sisters.
My name is
Asja(Asiya) and Alhamdulillah I am very proud on my name that my beloved parents gave me,and I am also very proud becasue my name is the name one of the best four womens in Islam.

My name means the one who cures wounds and souls.

May Allah bless you all.

Salam.

Your sister Asja

shooting_star

my name is Veronica, meaning true image. A supposed saint in christianity, she was the woman that cleaned Jesus's face using a veil when he fell from carrying the cross. An imprint of his face was left on the veil. It also means protector of the weak, and bringer of victory...

Phoyage

Salam
My name is Al-Baraa...
It means innocent in Arabic.
And was a great friend of the prophet.

alooma

My name is Idris. i Love my name so much and any time i recite Surah 19(maryam) i feel elated, coz of what Allah (swt) says about his prophet, Prophet Idris(AS).
Alhamdulillah that my parents gave me such a beautiful name.
[warafanaahu makana aliyan]