Question: Where did pigs come from?

mustafa_bepari

Salam,

I've been wondering about this for quite a long time now, I have also tried searching the web, but never got to find the correct and logical answer in terms of islamic studies. I hope my bros and sis' here can help me find it.

Where did pigs come from?

Numerous times, my non-muslim colleagues and friends asked me a lot of questions concerning the pig, which I regrettably haven't been able to answer. If pigs were created by Allah from the beginning along with all the creations, then what is the reason and logic behind them being so impure and or dirty?

Jazakom Allah Khair!

spinxo

I like to see it in a way that Allah(SWT) put them on Earth as a test for mankind. We see people bragging about how good 'bacon' and 'pig' tastes and whatnot. Same goes with alcohol etc.

According to a narration, after the creation of Paradise Jibraeel asked, “O Lord! Who that would not come to this great house?” A voice said, “Look at the path that leads to it.” He saw that there were pits, thorns, straws and ghouls and so on. That is, how many deprivations one must bear? One must control hunger for fifteen hours and control the tongue also. In short nights it is nice to sleep and very difficult to wake up early and yet one must pray the dawn prayer. Such is the path leading to Paradise. Money must be given less importance. A fifth of the profits must be spent in God’s path. Jibraeel said, “If this is the path to Paradise then indeed there would be few buyers.” It demands courage and requires self-control.

Likewise when hell was created, Jibraeel asked, “O God! Who is it that would willingly step towards this terrible torture?” Again came the voice, “Look at the paths leading to it.” He saw that the ways were smooth and according to the desires of the heart. Its forms are gambling and adultery, overeating and all the things palatable to the heart, attractive and deceiving…Jibraeel said, “O God! Many would opt for this.”

Cariad

Leviticus 11:1-47

Clean and Unclean Food
11 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, 2 “Say to the Israelites: ‘Of all the animals that live on land, these are the ones you may eat: 3 You may eat any animal that has a divided hoof and that chews the cud.

4 “‘There are some that only chew the cud or only have a divided hoof, but you must not eat them. The camel, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is ceremonially unclean for you. 5 The hyrax, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is unclean for you.6 The rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is unclean for you. 7 And the pig, though it has a divided hoof, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. 8 You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

9 “‘Of all the creatures living in the water of the seas and the streams you may eat any that have fins and scales. 10 But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales—whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water—you are to regard as unclean. 11 And since you are to regard them as unclean, you must not eat their meat; you must regard their carcasses as unclean. 12 Anything living in the water that does not have fins and scales is to be regarded as unclean by you.

13 “‘These are the birds you are to regard as unclean and not eat because they are unclean: the eagle, the vulture, the black vulture, 14 the red kite, any kind of black kite, 15 any kind of raven, 16 the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, 17 the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl, 18 the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey, 19 the stork,any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat.

20 “‘All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be regarded as unclean by you. 21 There are, however, some flying insects that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. 22 Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper. 23 But all other flying insects that have four legs you are to regard as unclean.

Of course this was from the Old Testament, and was primarily for the Israelites. But it is an interesting list. :) mankind were not permitted to eat meat until after the Noahic Covenant, then God told them which animals were clean and unclean. Animals were also used for sacrifice for the covering of sin so it was important to know what God considered clean and unclean.

So it is not just the pig.. But many things were declared unclean. The better to be vegetarian .. Ya.. :)

Cariad

I like to see it in a way that Allah(SWT) put them on Earth as a test for mankind. We see people bragging about how good 'bacon' and 'pig' tastes and whatnot. Same goes with alcohol etc.

According to a narration, after the creation of Paradise Jibraeel asked, “O Lord! Who that would not come to this great house?” A voice said, “Look at the path that leads to it.” He saw that there were pits, thorns, straws and ghouls and so on. That is, how many deprivations one must bear? One must control hunger for fifteen hours and control the tongue also. In short nights it is nice to sleep and very difficult to wake up early and yet one must pray the dawn prayer. Such is the path leading to Paradise. Money must be given less importance. A fifth of the profits must be spent in God’s path. Jibraeel said, “If this is the path to Paradise then indeed there would be few buyers.” It demands courage and requires self-control.

Likewise when hell was created, Jibraeel asked, “O God! Who is it that would willingly step towards this terrible torture?” Again came the voice, “Look at the paths leading to it.” He saw that the ways were smooth and according to the desires of the heart. Its forms are gambling and adultery, overeating and all the things palatable to the heart, attractive and deceiving…Jibraeel said, “O God! Many would opt for this.”
Why do you put such importance on Gabriel? He was only a creation.. An Angel of The Lord.. You are saying an angel is like a go between between God and Man? Is that the thing?? Angels are just messengers for God.. They have no will of their own to make decisions.

Cariad

Salam,

I've been wondering about this for quite a long time now, I have also tried searching the web, but never got to find the correct and logical answer in terms of islamic studies. I hope my bros and sis' here can help me find it.

Where did pigs come from?

Numerous times, my non-muslim colleagues and friends asked me a lot of questions concerning the pig, which I regrettably haven't been able to answer. If pigs were created by Allah from the beginning along with all the creations, then what is the reason and logic behind them being so impure and or dirty?

Jazakom Allah Khair!

God created all things.. The pure and the impure. It has to be balance.. Good cannot exist without evil or how would we be able to judge what is good. We are given this life as a gift and free choices that we make.. Concern both good and bad things. We have to have this choice if we are to grow spiritually. Or we just stagnate. :) it's simples I think.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Why do you put such importance on Gabriel? He was only a creation.. An Angel of The Lord.. You are saying an angel is like a go between between God and Man? Is that the thing?? Angels are just messengers for God.. They have no will of their own to make decisions.

He is a creation, but he is one of the top ranking angels in Allah's service. We believe that mostly it was jibreel alayhis salaam who brought Allah's messages to all the Prophets. Thus, he holds high esteem and honour for having carried out such an important tast,

Cariad

He is a creation, but he is one of the top ranking angels in Allah's service. We believe that mostly it was jibreel alayhis salaam who brought Allah's messages to all the Prophets. Thus, he holds high esteem and honour for having carried out such an important tast,
Gabriel did not bring revelations from God to all prophets. Many Bible prophets received their revelations direct from God. Major Prophets, like Abraham, Noah, Moses etc spoke with God. Gabriel brought messages to some prophets, and also to Mary at the annunciation. Bible mostly Gabriel came with messages to mankind from God. Only one Prophet in the Quran...prophet of Islam Mohammed we see received revelation this way. But other prophets in the Quran were Biblical anyway.. Except for those who were not Bible prophets like Adam, Lot, Ishmael I think of some more but not sure. :)
Peace.