Interesting Which scholars have you seen?

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalamu'alaykum,

Living in a city that is always the last among those to be visited by contemporaries of knowledge, I was wondering about the more fortunate among us who live in bigger, more populated cities where scholars are frequently seen. Be it an Islamic speaker, an artist (poet) or among the knowledgeable elite, who have you seen or met? :)

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Wa Alaikkum Aslaamu Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

I was fortunate to attend The Dubai Peace Conference last year and I was able to see, if not up close and personal but on the podium anyway, Dr. Zakir Naik, Yusuf Estes, Abdur Rahman Green, Musa Cerantonio, Dr. Tawfique Chowdhury, Hussein Yee. I hope I haven't forgotten anybody here. :)

Umm Abdullah

Wa aleykum assalam wa rahmatullah.

I have seen Sh. Umal, Sh. Muhammad Al-Arifi, Sh. Muhammad Idris, Sh. Saed Rageh, Sh. Hamza Tzortzis, Sh. Khalid Yasin, Mutah 'Napoleon and the guy from 'Why I hate religion but love Jesus muslim version. I also hope I haven't forgotten anybody. Khayr :D

** I forgot to mention Sheikh Murtaza Khan. I didn't see him, but I attended one of his lectures:)

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

Normally I would not list anything, as it seems like self-praise/boasting. However, considering the recent fitnah of people claiming there are "scholars of the East and Scholars of the West", I think it is important to list out some of the Ulema' and knowledgeable people of our Ummah (many of whom are Muhaditheen and Faqeeh ) so people can become familiar with them. Would recommend you to research them too. :

Shaykh Muhammad ibn al Uthaymeen (ra)
Shaykh Badi'udeen Shah as-Sindhi (ra) - (was around 11 when I met him.)
Shaykh Abdul Muhsin al Abaad, his son Sh Abdur-Razaq al Abaad.
Shaykh Abdul Qadir al arna'oot (ra) I met him whilst he was under house arrest in Syria, he passed away a few years ago, may Allah give him Jannah.
Shaykh Abdus-Samad al kaatib (rahimahullah) - faqih. Leading expert in rules of inheritance.
Shaykh UbaydAllah al Afghani (ra) was a leading Quran teacher in city of Madinah with many isnaad.
Shaykh Salih al Fawzan -
Shaykh Abdul Bari Al Ansari - son of Shaykh Hammad al Ansari Rahimahullah
Shaykh Abdus Salam Burjiss (rahimahullah),
Shaykh WasiAllah Abbas
Shaykh Yahya al Hajuri,
Shaykh Rabee ibn Hadi al Madkhali,

Several of Jordanian scholars who studied under Shaykh al-Albani (rahimahullah).

Several Imams of Masjid al Haraam and Masjid an Nabawi.. but most beloved of them to me - are Imam Muhammad as-Subayyil (ra), Umar as-Subayyil (ra). May Allah have mercy upon them and grant them Jannah.

Umm Abdullah

Ma sha Allah that's amazing!! Okay now I feel like my list of ppl I've met is worth nothing :D
On a serious note, may Allah grant those 3ulamaa Jannatul firdaws amin!

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
OMG how could I ever forget Sheikh Mishary Rashid Al Alafasy leading the Juma prayer?

So yes, Sheikh Mishary Rashid Al Afasy + Saeed Rageh.

Mahzala

Abu Loren, that's a pretty nice list. If I had the chance to listen to Dr. Tawfique Chowdhury, I would definitely take it InshaAllah.

ServantofAllah1, Sheikh Muhammad Al Arifi? And Saeed Rageh? You're a lucky duck!

Mabsoot, I agree as I too am one to avoid the path that leads to boasting, however, this context is different in that unlike the past, where people left their places of comfort to pursue knowledge and travelled miles upon miles to seek this enlightenment, today, at least those among us in the west, will go as further as the next Muslim community centre, of MSA or Masjid to gain knowledge and that too, a one off lecture. And so the issue of boasting doesn't really surface. The other point you mentioned about east vs west scholars, well that's quite sad actually that we see it that way. The issue of accessibility is a great one today and those fortunate and blessed souls who make it to the east, to learn from the traditionalists and experts only do so with the intent of returning something to those in the west, where it is a grave need in most societies. So how then do we compare and contrast a student and teacher, and most importantly, why? Nevertheless, MashaAllah they're some experiences you've had, may Allah continue to open such doors for you.

Mahzala

So I'm trying to recall who I've seen, and because I've exposed myself, so intimately to them online, it almost feels like I've seen them ... So here I am, adding everyone to a lil list and then thinking, nope, that was YouTube. Though among the few that I have seen haven't been during mass lectures as such, rather in more confined spaces, with very few audiences, and an one to one approach. Many years ago, Sheikh Khalid Yasin, Sheikh Jamal Badawi, Sheikh Yayha Ibrahim, Sheikh Abdur Rahim Quick, Moez Masoud, Amr Khalid and if it counts have been in on webinars by Sheikh Muhammad al Shareef, Sheikh Yasir Qadhi and Sheikh Assim Al Hakeem.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

Shaykh Muhammad Al-Maliki is often here with us mashallah wa alhamdulillah! Barakallahu fihu!

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
As for me, I have seen Shiakh Yusuf Estes when he came to my country
I have prayed behind Imaam Sudais Alhamdulillah but I could not see him :(

Nureyni Amir

Assalamu alaykum,

Normally I would not list anything, as it seems like self-praise/boasting. However, considering the recent fitnah of people claiming there are "scholars of the East and Scholars of the West", I think it is important to list out some of the Ulema' and knowledgeable people of our Ummah (many of whom are Muhaditheen and Faqeeh ) so people can become familiar with them. Would recommend you to research them too. :

Shaykh Muhammad ibn al Uthaymeen (ra)
Shaykh Badi'udeen Shah as-Sindhi (ra) - (was around 11 when I met him.)
Shaykh Abdul Muhsin al Abaad, his son Sh Abdur-Razaq al Abaad.
Shaykh Abdul Qadir al arna'oot (ra) I met him whilst he was under house arrest in Syria, he passed away a few years ago, may Allah give him Jannah.
Shaykh Abdus-Samad al kaatib (rahimahullah) - faqih. Leading expert in rules of inheritance.
Shaykh UbaydAllah al Afghani (ra) was a leading Quran teacher in city of Madinah with many isnaad.
Shaykh Salih al Fawzan -
Shaykh Abdul Bari Al Ansari - son of Shaykh Hammad al Ansari Rahimahullah
Shaykh Abdus Salam Burjiss (rahimahullah),
Shaykh WasiAllah Abbas
Shaykh Yahya al Hajuri,
Shaykh Rabee ibn Hadi al Madkhali,

Several of Jordanian scholars who studied under Shaykh al-Albani (rahimahullah).

Several Imams of Masjid al Haraam and Masjid an Nabawi.. but most beloved of them to me - are Imam Muhammad as-Subayyil (ra), Umar as-Subayyil (ra). May Allah have mercy upon them and grant them Jannah.

Walaikum Asalam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh, Seriously you are blessed ma'Sha'Allah, i hope i can meet Sheik Fowzan, Salah Maghamasi, Mukhtar Shinqeete, Adil Kalbani one day in'sha'Allah.