White Girl

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
A one off drama on BBC2 this coming Monday at 9pm about an 11 year old girl who finds comfort and solace in Islam.

Possibly the first positive portrayal of our faith on British TV in ages. Ironically it's part of BBC2's White Season :lol:

Sisterhood

Just a sister
Asalamu Alaykum,
Can you please provide more details? Where can I watch the show? I don't have TV, will it be aired online? I hope so...

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
Are you British?

If so try the BBC's iPlayer the following day.

If not you're out of luck.

White Girl

key_c_cream.gif

Monday 10 March
9:00pm - 10:30pm
BBC2
Picture this: an 11-year-old girl with blonde hair and cautious blue eyes washes her face, dons a headscarf and joins in with prayers at her local mosque. As an image of cultural crossover it's hard to beat, and it's at the heart of this luminous, beautifully filmed drama by Abi Morgan (Sex Traffic). The girl is Leah (tremendously played by Holly Kenny) and her family is a wreck. Her stepdad makes her run drug-dealing errands, her mum (Anna Maxwell Martin) drinks and their lives revolve around pizza, scratchcards and one screaming row after another. When mum and kids try to flee, they're re-housed in a Muslim district of Bradford and Leah's redemption begins, with the Islamic culture she comes to embrace shown as a haven of calm after her shambolic upbringing. There's a fairytale quality to the story, but if the idea of the White season (of which this forms part) is to celebrate the white working classes, this feels like a shot in the opposite direction.

RT reviewer - David Butcher

VIDEO Plus+: 1039
Subtitled, Widescreen, Audio-described
Episode written by Abi Morgan

Cast

• Debbie Anna - Maxwell Martin
  • Stevie - Daniel Mays
  • Sonya - Melanie Hill
  • Leah - Holly Kenny
  • Adam - Jay Simpson
  • Rehan - Tariq Jordan
  • Yasmin - Jade Islam
  • Abdullah - Aaron Neil
  • Fatima - Balvinder Sopal
  • Headmistress - Joanna Swain
  • Miss Shakina - Shaida Choudhary
  • Mr Iqbal - Mohammad Rafique
  • Housing officer - Perveen Hussain
  • Malik - Junaid Khan
  • Tariq - Hasan Mahmood
  • Chip shop man - Paul Oldham

zarah

Islam
Staff member
A one off drama on BBC2 this coming Monday at 9pm about an 11 year old girl who finds comfort and solace in Islam.

Possibly the first positive portrayal of our faith on British TV in ages. Ironically it's part of BBC2's White Season :lol:

:salam2:

Jazzak-Allah Khairyan for sharing

:wasalam:

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
Just because it's fictional doesn't make it bad.

Besides... I think it might actually be based on a true story.

sal12

jazakallahu khayran for sharing im going to watch that insha'allah! is the director a muslim?

OsMaN_93

Here to help
is it up there now on bbc, I tried looking for it.
no sis' iplayer replay a program after putting it on TV
i dont think u can see it now:(
after the movie/program finishes you can watch it ther ,but not before ..
PS.and you can save it too :!!!!:)

Amir_of_spain

BBC is trying to copy channel4's style of documentary. C4 puts out negative documentaries against islam/muslims, and normally theres at least 1-2 such programs a week. Ive noticed this over the last 6months. They do this because they know such sensationalised religious-political-cultural topics brings in soo many viewers. They have done everything from muslim/islamic terrorists, gays, lesibens, forced marriages, female circumcisions, wife beating, apostasy, sharia, middle east, iran, iraq, pakistan, cousin marriages, taliban, saudi-wahabism and so on. And then once in 3-4months the try balance the negative docs with one showing a light hearted docu eg mom im a muslim, and programs on converts. BBC has been monitoring their style of broadcast as soon will copy it, hence this program.

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
Masha Allah BBC2... :hearts:

I was watching one of the 'white season' programmes last night and was disturbed to see most want to join the blimmin BNP!

By the way I am white too!

you know what scared me? there was a BNP demonstration at the station i had to go through tonight.....and i just ran through quick! I just knew they would want to comment on a white girl wearing abaya and hijab!

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
I am fine Masha Allah...i just ran past them before they noticed me...and there were police around.

The BBC are much better. They did a lovely programme last year about people going to a muslim retreat in Spain. It inspired me to take my shahahdah because i was so envious of the girl that took her shahahdah on there! lol.

to lunix image

i should not call you brother and if you are truly a muslim than fear allah subhanu
aza wa jel
advise the ummah to avoid munkur and to do the maaruf