** Why did Prophet Adam become a prophet? **

OsMaN_93

Here to help
:salam2:
why was prophet Adam (pbuh) a prophet?

Prophets were to tell the people of the time of God's plans and to fortell things that God had planned. Adam was not a Prophet because he was the first man created so there was no need for prophets yet.
(and is there any verses in Quran that declare he is a prophet?):SMILY346:

Salaam,

Prophet Adam (pbuh) was the first Muslim to have submitted to the will of God, thus he was given this noble title by Allah swt of being called a Prophet.

There was a need/reason for prophet Adam (pbuh) because when Allah swt said to the angels and Iblis (one of the worthy jinns brought to paradise):

"Prostrate yourself before Adam" They prostrated except Iblis, he refused and was proud and was one of the disbelievers(disobedient to Allah)."

Allah said: "What prevented you (O Iblis) that you did not postrate when I commanded you?"

Iblis said: "I am better than him (Adam), You created me from fire and him You created from clay."

Allah said: "O Iblis get down from this (Paradise), it is not for you to be arrogant here. Get out for you are of those humiliated and disgraced."

So you see prophet Adam (pbuh) was also sent as a test for Iblis, thus Allah swt tested Iblis.

Allah the Exalted said: And He taught Adam all the names of everything (2:31)

Almighty Allah granted Adam (pbuh) the power to know the natures of all things and to summarize them by names: that is a bird, that is a star, that is a tree, that is a cloud, etc. Allah implanted in Adam (pbuh) an insatiable need for and love of knowledge and a desire to bequeath knowledge to his children. This was the reason for his creation and the secret in his glorification.

I hope that cleared it up for you.

samiha

---------
Staff member

Also supposedly in Musnad ibn Ahmed, the Prophet :saw: said "Adam is the first prophet" .... I wish I could provide a better source, but I'm afraid its not online and I dont have any english copy of it.

wasalam

safiya58

why was prophet Adam (pbuh) a prophet?

Prophets were to tell the people of the time of God's plans and to fortell things that God had planned. Adam was not a Prophet because he was the first man created so there was no need for prophets yet.
(and is there any verses in Quran that declare he is a prophet?):SMILY346:

good question. I don´t know the answer to it. But knowing that he was a prophet and do wrong by eating from the "tabooed tree" is a relief for us "normal" muslims cuz we have also sins and we want them to be forgiven too. Maybe it is true that he was the first human being and had no "ummah" to that time but now when we read in the Quran about his creation , his high destination and his sin he comitted and the fact about he was in janna first and had to leave it because of his sin we can learn alot of things:

1) the difference between the shaytan and a "muslim sinner". When Adam(a.s.) realized his mistake he was ashamed and quickly turned to Allah in rependance and asked for forgiveness. Shaytan never felt regret..

2) the importance of the existence of the evil/forbidden. cuz without the forbidden the human cannot be testet and his will could not grow bigger...

3) there are not only good qualities insight of us also bad which can led us to do evil things we should not forget and be aware of

4) even Adam(a.s.) was given the free will to decide he was expected to act in concort to God´s will.

5) despite the human misstepp or even because of it he was promissed to get guidence from Allah and an "happy end" (sura 2:38)

6) Allah punishes his slaves when he wants good for them...

so Adam maybe didn´t teach people who were living to his time, cuz they was not existing but in his life and his pain is a lecture for us, isn´t it?

ALLAH KNOWS BETTER!

The fact that the creation of Adam was unlike the rest of humanity is clearly established in the Holy Quran.

In this context, the Quran signifies the supernatural creation of two prophets as in the following, “The creation of Jesus for Allah is like the creation of Adam. He created him of dust, then He said unto him: Be! and he is” (3:59)

Even though there is no bold verse stating that Adam (pbuh) was a prophet, the Quran explains; “Adam received from his Lord words of (revelation)” (2:37)

Allah addressed him and announced his liabilities and responsibilities (2:33, 35; 7:19; 20:117). Another verse declares that Allah preferred Adam, Noah, the Family of Abraham and the Family of 'Imran above all His creatures (3:33) which indirectly implies his status as a prophet.

Sister Samiha is correct and I found that, Ahmad ibn Hanbal reports a hadith in his Musnad (V, 178, 179, 265) in which Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) identified the name of the first prophet as “Adam.”