Why is Martin Luther King more celebrated than Malcolm X ?

BigAk

:salam2:

I wonder if a knowledgeable person can answer my curiosity on this topic.

It has been becoming more apparent to me that people in the US (including African Americans and Africans) place far more value on Martin Luther King than Malcolm X, and they celebrate his achievements even more. As a matter of fact, they celebrate Martin Luther King day but hardly anything acknowledged when it comes to Malcolm X.. As a matter of fact, when Malcolm is discussed, he is often viewed as an extremist Muslim who wanted to achieve his goals via violent means while the emphasis on MLK portrayed as the peace loving leader who smelled like roses. My question is; why is that?? Are there any justifications to these facts??

A recent dialog with a close friend from Africa, he revealed much of what I have outlined above. My friend went further to say "I honestly, from the depths of my heart, believe that Black America is where it is today more because of King's approach than X's". Is there merit to this statement?

My friend is a hard core believer in a non-violent approach to resolve any issues no matter what they are, and from this he goes on to discount Malcolm X as an extremist. He says "most people who advocate violence meet violent ends themselves". When I said Malcolm X didn't advocate violence, my friend's response was "That would be like saying Glenn Beck and the Tea Party people don't advocate violence"

I guess, I am puzzled as to why Malcolm X never enjoys the type of love and celebration like Martin Luther King does. Any insight on the issue is appreciated.

Valerie

I can't give anything but my opinion on this one, so please just take it as that.. My opinion.

I honestly think that Malcolm X is misunderstood by a lot of people. Being white, myself, I never knew much about him, but was always given the impression that he focused more on hate than on positive change.

I recently sat down and watched the movie about him and am glad I did because I learned more about the man than the impressions I was given before. While I won't ever understand what he had been through or truly understand all of his beliefs, it help me to gain some understanding.

But add on top of that... So many Americans don't even have a positive view of Islam, it doesn't help their view of him...

Obviously, my opinion isn't going to be a good one for this topic, but like I said I think he's misunderstood.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Malcolm X is appreciated by Americans. Malcolm X is a hero to Black Muslims. He spoke the truth. He loved Allah subhana talla. He is appreciated by all Muslims.

Historically, the feds played the Nation of Islam and Martin Luther King, Jr. They did not wish to have a man of international fame and Muslim at that to make lasting relationships with the leadership emerging at that time. There was a very strong international group of men who were fighting at the same time all over the world for equality. Africans, Central and South Americans, Asians, and Malcolm had the personality and brains to understand this.

Martin Luther King, Jr. is a media hero. He was the acceptable man for the posterchild. He did not have the charisma of Malcolm. He was not friends with the forward thinking Black Panthers. Even in the early years of protesting Martin allowed children to be arrested while he sat and waited.

The public education system does not write the truth about Malcolm. But that is ok. The oral tradition is strong. It is known that the Nation of Islam turned on Malcolm. But Malcom was a man of the Truth. And Truth never dies.

MutlekM

my friend is doing a research paper on MalcomX he said he especially took intersts when he watched a movie on MalcomX since he is a non muslim its goin to be interesting what he puts on his research paper.
:wasalam:

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
Brother Malcolm X spoke his mind and did not bite is tongue on anything. He did not want anyone to walk all over him and fought for justice. He got things done and did not sit around and wait for things to happen. Martin Luther King was a good man and is an icon to this society but Malcolm X, I believe is a role model for us to fight back.

He could not be silent and was not scared to die for what he believed in. The nation of islam did him a favor by letting him go, and Allah guided him to the true Islam after he made Hajj, alhamdullilah. He was real and an eloquent speaker. My father went personally to one of his speeches back in the 60's and was a follower of the nation, until he read about El-Hajj Malik Shabazz, Malcolm X and my father too found the true Islam.

I think his birthday should be a holiday like Dr King, but that is highly unlikely. One of the shooters just recently was released from prison.

BigAk

Just found this video that I thought interesting.... Malcolm X interjects on the approach of MLK ... He mentions the role of MLK is that of "Uncle Tom" a 100 ago during time of slavery... I'm not familiar with Uncle Tom he's referring to.... Anyone can clarify that one??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kctEXjAeOKA&feature=related

I just don't see how MLK has achieved more for the black people in America than Malcolm X has.

Valerie

Just found this video that I thought interesting.... Malcolm X interjects on the approach of MLK ... He mentions the role of MLK is that of "Uncle Tom" a 100 ago during time of slavery... I'm not familiar with Uncle Tom he's referring to.... Anyone can clarify that one??

I had to look it up... I'm starting to feel stupid here :)

This is what I read on wikipedia (yes, I know, wikipedia, but still):

"Uncle Tom is a pejorative term for a black person who is perceived by others as behaving in a subservient manner to white authority figures, or as seeking ingratiation with them by way of unnecessary accommodation."

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Uncle Tom is a character from Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin.

The term is used to describe the person of color who is scared of the system. An Uncle Tom therefore is at the beck and call of the master. This is the man who would assist the master of the plantation and turn in a runaway slave. His position was in the house. He did not work the fields. In my earlier response I wrote MLK was a posterchild. He fit the criteria for a non threating representative of Blacks. MLK was not going to upset the system. If you study a little more MLK was assisted by the " power". Martin was very national.

What you do not hear is the power that Malcolm had. Malcom motivated people, internationally. Malcom wanted an independent nation..as we see with the People of the Tribal Nations within the States. He understood the nature of the oppressors.

I could go on and on about Malcolm. And I love Brother Zak's avatar.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X is a good read. Spike Lee's movie is motivational.Malcolm was dangerous. He was a Muslim that made people think. I have never met anyone who has anything but total respect for our Muslim brother. He came correct.

DanyalSAC

And this is the reason why (in my humble opinion) MLK is more celebrated than Malcolm X. MLK was for equality for ALL mankind, whereas Malcolm X pretty much ignored anyone of non-African descent. While we're all elevating him we need to remember that he put being black before being Muslim.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother..MKL is not celebrated by any. Those who wish to be politically correct like him. I know you did not read my response. I used the word international several times. Malcolm was a man of the world. Martin was the politically correct harmless man who was basically impotent. He waited for the master to tell him what to do. The children of Montgomery Alabama had more conviction!!

Malcolm's posters hang in the rooms of young black men in America. Malcolm is the man. And he loved Allah. He taught millions of Muslims in America the correct path. He broke from the Nation to join the ummath. And that was dangerous. His wisdom allowed Blacks to forget the confusion of the Nation and become Muslims. He did more for Civil Rights. He led his people to Mecca.

I love me some Malcolm. I am glad I was alive at that time. He and the Black Panthers did good for the poor and the oppressed. They saw beyond color. Malcolm saw Islam.

DanyalSAC

Assalamu'alaykum

Have you read his Autobiography? Judge him fairly. He spent more time as part of a black supremacist movement than he did a true muslim, he spent more time as a hustler/drug addict/convict, than he did a true muslim, however when he became a true muslim you can't use those sticks over him at all.

To say he put being black before being muslim is to demonstrate a lack of senstivity to the situation of the black man in America at the time. It was 100% necessary to address the issue in terms of colour because that WAS the issue. He was perfectly willing to work with white people to work towards solutions however the initiatives had to come from black people first, it had to be a strong initiative aswell. On the whole, white people weren't going to put themselves out for the black man.

Lol, me too.

I am not judging him at all. I have nothing against him individually, I was answering the topic of the discussion: why is Martin Luther King more celebrated than Malcolm X. And in MY opinion its because MLK was concerned about equality with all Americans. And no I didn't read his book, as it wasn't really written with me in mind as the target audience.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I wish i were face to face with you in discussion. Please forgive me as I try to explain to you what Malcolm has been to people of color in the States.

Martin was the good guy. He was not a threat. He could not do anything. He was given a few inches and he was satisfied with the inches.

If you look at the history of those of who were supporters of the Civil rights movement you would understand that Malcolm was the man.

I must write brother..no Malcolm did have the white man in mind when he wrote. He included white men when they were ready to understand. It was Islam that introduced him to a world view beyond just color.

I can not change your mind. I can not help you understand what it is like to be of color in the States. Islam liberates us. This is the year 2010 and there is still little equality for non-Whites in America. Unless you are an Uncle Tom, like MLK. If I selected to be white...my life would be different. I selected to be a Muslim woman of color.

Please speak to men of color and American Muslims of Color and ask them why Malcolm is so dear in the hearts of Muslims in America.
I pray this makes sense to you.

DanyalSAC

Assalaam walaikum,

I wish i were face to face with you in discussion. Please forgive me as I try to explain to you what Malcolm has been to people of color in the States.

Martin was the good guy. He was not a threat. He could not do anything. He was given a few inches and he was satisfied with the inches.

If you look at the history of those of who were supporters of the Civil rights movement you would understand that Malcolm was the man.

I must write brother..no Malcolm did have the white man in mind when he wrote. He included white men when they were ready to understand. It was Islam that introduced him to a world view beyond just color.

I can not change your mind. I can not help you understand what it is like to be of color in the States. Islam liberates us. This is the year 2010 and there is still little equality for non-Whites in America. Unless you are an Uncle Tom, like MLK. If I selected to be white...my life would be different. I selected to be a Muslim woman of color.

Please speak to men of color and American Muslims of Color and ask them why Malcolm is so dear in the hearts of Muslims in America.
I pray this makes sense to you.

What makes sense to me is that as a white Muslim in the US I am being made to feel over and over and OVER AND OVER that I am a "guest" in a religion that is for "People of Color Only". When I converted I was asked point blank "How can you be a Muslim? You're not black!". So maybe I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder, and for that I apologize.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
What makes sense to me is that as a white Muslim in the US I am being made to feel over and over and OVER AND OVER that I am a "guest" in a religion that is for "People of Color Only". When I converted I was asked point blank "How can you be a Muslim? You're not black!". So maybe I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder, and for that I apologize.

I guess its because of the poison of the NOI that spread so far and wide in America ..

Thats out of order. Malcolm X rejected all of that, if anything, he is just the person you need to refer to in order to refute those who think only black people are muslim.

May Allaah aid you.

Wa-alaykum salaam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Dear Brother..we are all guests of Allah subhana talla in this temporal life. He has given us the gifts we need to employ to return to Him. You are white..I am tan. You are a male and I am a female...what we have in common is the love and fear of Allah...is not the phrase..Islam came in like a stranger....comforting to you...yeah I'll be strange everywhere..because my heart is longing for home..and it ain't here..

my love,
your aapa

BigAk

Sister Aapa... I thank you for the information regarding this topic. I have just watched the film MalcolmX with Denzel Washington and I got to learn much about our brother malcolm. I can see your points about him reflecting in the movie and I can understand your stance. I have to admit; I don't know much about MLK, but if the term "uncle Tom" were truly fair to fit him, I am definitely not a fan. I have read though, that towards the end of his life, MLK has drifted in his approach towards MalcolmX as he was very frustrated with the lack of progress the blacks are achieving in the country. At the same time, towards the end of his life and after embracing the true mainstream Islam, Malcolm has shifted towards MLK's peaceful approach. What do you think?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

You humble me. I remember the events of the late sixties. I recall the deaths of John Kennedy..Malcolm...Edgar...Martin...Bobby...the crazy war...the protests...the violence...the age of the me generation...the rise of the fundamentalists...more wars..and finally apathy.

In all honesty I can only speculate. Forgive me, but the fact Malcolm was Muslim makes me realize he must have been the forward ambassador of peace. He was a faithful man. A man of honor. And once again..Malcolm was an international person. It would have behoved Martin to befriend the political powerhouse, of influence. that was Malcolm.

The legacy speaks for itself. One reads of the progress Martin Luther King, Jr. made in the history books. One speaks of Malcom, the slave of Allah, as we are doing right this minute. This has been a simple lesson in understanding the fact that men who are the humble slaves of Allah subhana talla leave us a fundamental objective of a correct life..that is a legacy to Islam.

I thank you for giving me such respect..I am very very humbled..

my love your,

aapa

Abu Juwairiya

There are several stages in the lives of both men; some of which are celebrated and commemorated of Martin Luther King and Malcolm X and some of which are lightly spoken of or deleted from the pages of history altogether. If either man had accomplished what they sought to do in the end of their lives, they might have had more, maybe less or the same coverage as they do today.

Martin Luther King was to stage a demonstration that would lead to the lawns of the White House close to the end of his life. He also supported a UN petition to bring indictments against the US for its treatment on the American black race, he started speaking against the Vietnam War and even began speaking about apocalyptic warnings on the destruction of the US for its injustices. Those aspects of his life are rarely mentioned about him. Instead his public image is that of Martin Luther King from his birth until 1965 when he turned on the United States government and his life after that is carefully biographically minimised to make it appear he had not changed so much.

What we look at today from both men is what is important or deemed to be important to society and not at the men themselves as figures in their own right. As others have said, Martin Luther King was a Christian, a member of the Church and someone who spoke, liaised with, associated with and easily conversed with white people. The US is a Christian country and as such it is expected there is a convergence between the commonness of the two religious affiliations between the nation and someone who extols its virtues and loves to be an American (at least until 1965).

There is an expected divergence with someone who is of a different religion, was a minister of an anti-Christian cult (the Nation of Islam until 1964) speaks negatively of the same country, does not take pride in being an American and from the outset outlines and delivers sermons of divine wrath on the white population for its history and reminds them of the darker side of the American Dream.

On a personal level, some of us admire people holistically, others choose to concentrate on their political, religious and sociological accomplishments alone. Each person to ones own. On a moral level, Martin Luther King, as attested by his biographers, was an adulterer; he had three regular mistresses and occasionally visited prostitutes. He once said, 'I am away from home 25-27 days a month, fucking is a form of anxiety reduction'. In contrast Malcolm X was loyal to his wife (the assertions by some of his later biographers are unsubstantiated and not supported by evidence). However, does what a person do in private negate their greatness in the public eye, some people think so, others do not.

Both men knew Heads of State and were given regal receptions when they travelled overseas, spoke at universities abroad, had roads and avenues named after them, gave addresses where prominent artists, socialites and celebrities greeted and met them.

Martin Luther King attended Civil rights bills before they became law, Malcolm X was given his own office at the UN and guards were told he could enter and leave the premises as he wished and meet with any world leader or ambassador. Martin Luther King was given the private phone number of Lyndon Baines Johnson when he was President, Malcolm X spoke with and gave addresses to several Parliaments, Martin Luther King was given the Nobel Peace Prize, Malcolm X was offered ministerial positions in Egypt, Ethiopia and Ghana and given 25 academic scholarships to anyone of his choice for travel to Saudi Arabia.

Towards the end of their lives, Martin Luther King planned to do something about life in the American ghettos. Malcolm X planned to work with the newly created Organisation of African Unity in its struggle with US and European imperialism and was looking to move to Africa personally. Martin Luther King had decided to work with Malcolm X and was scheduled to meet him to this end in February 1965. Malcolm X was assassinated a few days before the meeting.

I could go on, but I hope I have made my point to this discussion.