Why is not aloowed to dye hair in black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu dear sisters and brothers.

I pray you are with mercy of Allah these blessed days of Ramadan, Inshallah.

I know for the haadith which are forbiding dyeing hair of man and women in black color, but I did not red never explaintion why it is forbiden.? One sister has told me that she wish to dye her hair in black,and I have told her that it is forbiden in Islaam, but when she has asked me for the reasons, I did not knew how to explain her. :shymuslima1:

May Allah bless you

:wasalam:

Amina 1

Dying hair or beard is permissible with the following conditions:

1. The hair should not be dyed with black colour for the Hadith of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) who said: "At the last period of this world, some people will dye their hair black, they will not get the smell of paradise." (Abu Dawud)

When the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) ordered to change the grey coloured hair of Abu Qahafah, the father of Abu Bakr, he said: "change the whiteness of the hair, but avoid black."

2. It should be free from the imitation of dissolute persons, polytheists, and Kuffars. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "whoever imitates a nation he becomes one of them." (Abu Dawud)
If the dye is free for the above prohibitions then it is allowed even if the hair is black.
Allah knows best.

Hope this answers your question.:D
May Allah (s.w.t.) bless you and your family and except all of your prayers.:tti_sister::tti_sister: Have a Happy Ramadan:hearts:

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Dying hair or beard is permissible with the following conditions:

1. The hair should not be dyed with black colour for the Hadith of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) who said: "At the last period of this world, some people will dye their hair black, they will not get the smell of paradise." (Abu Dawud)

When the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) ordered to change the grey coloured hair of Abu Qahafah, the father of Abu Bakr, he said: "change the whiteness of the hair, but avoid black."

2. It should be free from the imitation of dissolute persons, polytheists, and Kuffars. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "whoever imitates a nation he becomes one of them." (Abu Dawud)
If the dye is free for the above prohibitions then it is allowed even if the hair is black.
Allah knows best.

Hope this answers your question.:D
May Allah (s.w.t.) bless you and your family and except all of your prayers.:tti_sister::tti_sister: Have a Happy Ramadan:hearts:

:salam2:

Jazzak Allah khair my dear sister for sharing with me hadiths and for trying to explain me,and happy and blessed Ramadan to you too and your beloved family. :hijabi:

From what I could understand from haadith is that it is not alowed only to dry hair in black from gray hair, and if hair is other colour it is permissible in Islaam?

May Allah Almighty increase our knowledge. ameen summa ammen

May Allah reword you dear sister for your answer.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
All narrations in this matter are weak. What is authentic is that the Prophet, peace be upon him, loved henna and used it to dye his hair and beard and so did the Sahaaba. Henna is orange colored.

In fact, the Prophet (PBUH) used to put henna on his skin where it hurts and women used it to paint their fingernails and the back of their hands.

If you accept the narrations, then the rational reason I can think of for forbidding black is the deception it will lead to about the person's age.

As-salaamu `alaykum

Akhi can you please provide the quotes, reasoning and reference of those who've said the narrations are weak? This is a serious charge when we have the likes of Muslim and At-Tirmidhee declaring hadeeth on this matter saheeh and hasan saheeh. Even the later scholars of hadeeth agree on this.

Jaabir ibn ‘Abdullah reported that Abu Quhaafah was brought on the day of the conquest of Makkah, and his head and beard were white like "thaghaamah" (a plant whose flowers and fruit are white). The Messenger of Allah (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: "Change this with something, but avoid black."
(Reported by Muslim, no. 3962)

Ibn ‘Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: "The Messenger of Allah (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: ‘At the end of time there will be people who will dye their hair black like the crops of pigeons. They will never even smell the fragrance of Paradise."
(Reported by Imam Ahmad, see also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 8153)

It was also reported from the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) that one should change grey hair, using any colour except black. Abu Dharr reported that the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: "The best things with which to change grey hair are henna and ‘katam’ (a plant similar to henna which is used as a dye)."
(Reported by al-Tirmidhi, no. 1675; he said: This is a saheeh hasan hadith)

Secondly, the rational reason you've stated contradicts the sunnah behind dying the hair/beard in the first place, as the Prophet sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam said 'change grey hair'.

Was-salaam

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
All narrations in this matter are weak. What is authentic is that the Prophet, peace be upon him, loved henna and used it to dye his hair and beard and so did the Sahaaba. Henna is orange colored.

In fact, the Prophet (PBUH) used to put henna on his skin where it hurts and women used it to paint their fingernails and the back of their hands.

If you accept the narrations, then the rational reason I can think of for forbidding black is the deception it will lead to about the person's age.

Assalamu Allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Jazzak allah khair dear brother

But if black color is forbidden does that mean that dark brown for example is also forbidden, as it can also lead to deception about the persons age.

Is there any other reason why the prohibition of dyeing ones hair in black is present, as I do not understand why it would be alowed to dye your hair in dark brown-light brown and not in black. Also in Islam every permission and prohibition has its reasons.

Wa Allaicumu Sallam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
This is in reported by Imam Ahmad, and Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 8153)

One must ponder every word when read a Hadees and the self-named scholar's fatwa.
.. here it says ........... they will not get the smell of paradise .. if so tht means those who dye their hair NEVER ENTER PARADISE..i.e. paradise is haraaam for those who dye hair in black.....

how ridiculous this hadees is....

ALLAAH MAKE paradise HARAAM ONLY for KAAFIR who reject him completly so as this hdees say , does those who dye hair black..
How can we expect the most merciful ALLAAH make paradise haraam for one who just put some ink upon ones hair that will make him to be a little cute in appearance ..
even some people in their early age 18 , 20 , 22 they get white hair... Can anyone say these people shoud live with these unpleasant appearance.?

This is in Muslim, no. 3962 ,

here in this hadees when you read in full context it says rasoolullaah pointed out him saying ......TO HIM ........means change the whiteness of the hair, but avoid black TO HIM...... This was said to Aboobackrs father ONLY becuase he was very old ......... This hadees can not be taken as a common teaching for all ummath.....

Abu Hurayra reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, 'Verily the Jews and Christians do not dye (their hair), so you should dye .' (Sahih Bukhari Hadith3462, 5899; Sahih Muslim Hadith5477)

Even shahaabaas used to dye their hair. In arabia ususally Henna and Katm are used to dye hair......Katm is a kind of plant which gives a black color dye.. Those days shahaabaa used this katm for their hair..... ( fath ul bari)

Anyone who give a fatwa must go through hadees word by word and ponder the meaning in order to get a comprehensive knowledge ..WE MUST NOT MAKE RIGID RULES OVER THE MUSLIMS UMMATH ... Islaam is a way of life which is so flexible in terms of its teachings in many subjects......

ISLAAM IS BEAUTIFUL ..so MUSLIMS ARE COMMANDED TO BE BEAUTIFUL..

ALLAAH KNOWS THE BEST.....when we err MAY ALLAAH FORGIVE US...

:salam2: dear brother.

Jazzak Allah khair dear brother for your detalied explination mashallah. You have explained it well Alhamdulillah, only you should not use the word " ridiculous" to describe haadith.

I understand much better now, because before I could not understand it at all, because I can not understand how one color is alowed and other is not, when they are used for the same purpose.

And Allah knows the best.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
This is in reported by Imam Ahmad, and Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 8153)

One must ponder every word when read a Hadees and the self-named scholar's fatwa.
.. here it says ........... they will not get the smell of paradise .. if so tht means those who dye their hair NEVER ENTER PARADISE..i.e. paradise is haraaam for those who dye hair in black.....

how ridiculous this hadees is....

ALLAAH MAKE paradise HARAAM ONLY for KAAFIR who reject him completly so as this hdees say , does those who dye hair black..
How can we expect the most merciful ALLAAH make paradise haraam for one who just put some ink upon ones hair that will make him to be a little cute in appearance ..
even some people in their early age 18 , 20 , 22 they get white hair... Can anyone say these people shoud live with these unpleasant appearance.?

This is in Muslim, no. 3962 ,

here in this hadees when you read in full context it says rasoolullaah pointed out him saying ......TO HIM ........means change the whiteness of the hair, but avoid black TO HIM...... This was said to Aboobackrs father ONLY becuase he was very old ......... This hadees can not be taken as a common teaching for all ummath.....

Abu Hurayra reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, 'Verily the Jews and Christians do not dye (their hair), so you should dye .' (Sahih Bukhari Hadith3462, 5899; Sahih Muslim Hadith5477)

Even shahaabaas used to dye their hair. In arabia ususally Henna and Katm are used to dye hair......Katm is a kind of plant which gives a black color dye.. Those days shahaabaa used this katm for their hair..... ( fath ul bari)

Anyone who give a fatwa must go through hadees word by word and ponder the meaning in order to get a comprehensive knowledge ..WE MUST NOT MAKE RIGID RULES OVER THE MUSLIMS UMMATH ... Islaam is a way of life which is so flexible in terms of its teachings in many subjects......

ISLAAM IS BEAUTIFUL ..so MUSLIMS ARE COMMANDED TO BE BEAUTIFUL..

ALLAAH KNOWS THE BEST.....when we err MAY ALLAAH FORGIVE US...

As-salaamu `alaykum

Subhaan Allaah?! You're claims are far more ridiculous brother... Just as you said, you need to pay attention to the words, yet I don't think you did so carefully enough. The hadeeth doesn't say that everyone/anyone who dyes their hair black will go to hell. Rather it says about a group who will go to hell that one of their characteristics is that they dye their hair back, a point that is made even clearer if you read the supporting hadeeth which I copied. They are completely different scenarios. And obviously, the scholars used this hadeeth as another proof that dying the hair black is haraam (and how scholars arrive at such conclusions is another intricate science itself).

Brother, read the hadeeth properly instead of calling an authentic prophetic narration ridiculous. Talking of fataawaa, have you realised that you have just given your own, one that is false at that?

Respected brother, you are not qualified to give your own explanations about the hadeeth, you are not a scholar. You are a layman like the rest of us and should stay clear of trying to make your own conclusions about affairs of the deen because you have no right to do so.

I'm closing this for now.

To sister Asja, sometimes when we don't know the reason for a ruling. It is sufficient to say that it was an order of the Prophet (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam) and that you're not sure as to why/what the reason was.

Was-salaam

Status
Not open for further replies.