Hadith Woe to those who read without reflecting

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
:salam:

Our mushaf stays on the shelf and collects dust for 11 months. But even in that one month when we take it out to read it, we simply race through it and gain nothing beneficial from it. The qur'aan deserves to be read with contemplation. Let's show some respect to it inshaa'Allaah.

Ata’ reported; `Ubaid Ibn Umair and I visited `Aa’ishah radiaAllahu `anha, then Ibn Umair asked her: “Tell us about the most remarkable thing you have seen from the Prophet (salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam).”
`Aa’ishah wept and said, “He (salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) woke up one night and said to me, “O `Aai’shah, let me worship my Lord alone.” She said, “I swear by Allah that I love your company and I love what pleases you.” He (salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) then made ablution and started performing Salaah. He (salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) then kept weeping until his lap became wet, and kept weeping until the floor became wet. Bilal radiAllahu `anhu then came to inform him about the Fajr Salaah and found him still weeping; he radiAllahu ‘anhu said to him: “O Messenger of Allah, you are weeping when Allah has forgiven all your past and future sins.” He (salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “Then may I not become the most grateful servant of Allah; tonight these verses were revealed to me, so woe to those who read them without reflecting upon them:“Verily! In the creation of the Heavens and the Earth and the alternation of the night and the day there are indeed signs for men of understanding.” (Surah Al-Imran v.190)
[Transmitted by Ibn Hibbaan and in Albani's 'Silsilah as-Sahihah' 68 with a Good Isnaad.]