Women are deficient in their Religion....A Clarification inshallah!

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:

SHAYKH ABDUL IBN BAAZ:

We often hear the noble Hadeeth "Women are deficient in their intelligence and in their Deen” and some men use this Hadeeth as a form of belittlement towards the women. We desire from you O noble shaykh, clarification of the meaning of this Hadeeth?

The meaning of the Hadeeth of the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam):

“I have never seen anyone with a deficiency of ‘Aql (intellect) and Deen (religion) who are more overpowering to men than one of you [women].”

So it was said:

“O Messenger of Allaah, what is the deficiency in her intelligence?”

He said:

“Isn’t the witness of two women equal to that of one man?”

So it was said:

“What is the deficiency in her Deen?”

So he said:

“Isn’t it the case that if she is menstruating she doesn’t pray or fast?”

So the Messenger (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) clarified that the deficiency of her intellect was from the angle of her weak memory and that her testimony is strengthened with the testimony of another woman. This is because of the preciseness of the witness (in Islaam) and because she could forget and make an addition or deletion to the testimony. Just as Allaah says:

{And bring forth two witnesses from your own men. If there are not two men (available) then a man and two women, such as you agree for witnesses, so that if one of them (two women) errs then the other can remind her…} [2282]

As for deficiency in her Deen, then it is because during her state of menstruation and post-partum bleeding, she abandons the Salaat and fasting, and she doesn’t make up the salaat. This is from the deficiency in her Deen. But this deficiency is not blameworthy upon her. Rather it is a deficiency, which happens as a result of that which Allaah had decreed for her and this was done in a manner of leniency and easiness towards her. For if she were to fast in a state of menstruation or in a state of postpartum bleeding it would harm her. So from the Mercy of Allaah (towards women) He has legislated for her to abandon the fast at the time when she is menstruating or in a state of Nifaas, and to make up the fast afterwards.

As for the salaat, then without a doubt, the state of menstruation prevents her from purification. So from the mercy of Allaah, He legislated for her to abandon her prayer and likewise in the state of Nifaas. He also legislated for her not to make it up, because in making up the (Salaat) is difficulty, because the Salaat is tremendous, and repetitious, five times throughout the night and day, and the days of menstruation can be plentiful, sometimes seven or eight days or more than that. And the Nifaas could reach 40 days. So from the mercy of Allaah upon her and from His Ihsaan (doing good) towards her is that He removed the Salaat from her whether it be the initial Salaat or the make-up. And this does not necessitate that her intelligence is deficient in everything! Nor that her Deen is deficient in everything!

But indeed the Messenger (saw) clarified that the deficiency in her intelligence is from that which happens to her from the lack of precision in her memory and testimony, and that the deficiency in her Deen is from the fact that she leaves off the prayer and fasting at the time of her menses or in the state of Nifaas. Also this doesn’t necessitate that she is less than a man in everything! or the fact that the man is better in everything! Yes, generally the male gender is better than the gender of the females generally for many reasons. Just as Allaah the High and Sublime says:

{Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allaah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend their wealth (to support them)…} [434]

But she can surpass him, sometimes, in many things. And by Allaah how many women surpass many men in their intelligence, Deen and precision!

But verily that which is narrated on the Messenger (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) is that the women are surpassed by men, generally, in intelligence and in the religion only. There can proceed from her many righteous actions, in which, she can surpass the men and in her Taqwah of Allaah, Azza Wa Jall, and in her station in the hereafter. There could be some affairs that she places great importance on and is precise in them more so than the precision of a man. There are many issues, which she carefully considers, and is diligent in memorizing and precise in.

She would become the foundation in Islaamic history and point of reference in many affairs and this is clear to those who ponder and reflect on the state of the women during the time of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) and after that. With this it should be understood that this deficiency should not prevent her from being treated equally in her narrations and in her testimony, if it is strengthened with the testimony of another woman. And it doesn’t necessarily mean that it (this deficiency) should prevent her from having Taqwah of Allaah and the fact that she could be from the most virtuous slaves of Allaah if she is upright in her Deen, even if the fasting and Salaat is not obligatory upon her at the time of menstruation and Nifaas rather this is a deficiency which is specific to the intellect and Deen just as the Messenger (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) clarified.

It is not appropriate that a believer should accuse her of being deficient in everything and weak in every area of her Deen, and its clarification is pertinent and important so that the speech of the Messenger is understood in it’s proper context and in the best possible manner and Allaah knows best.

www.madeenah.com

Salaam,

Real informing & interesting article. This excerpt was touching:

But this deficiency is not blameworthy upon her. Rather it is a deficiency, which happens as a result of that which Allaah had decreed for her and this was done in a manner of leniency and easiness towards her.

Jazakallah khair.

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
Asalamu alaykum wr wb

:ma: this is beautiful and amazing. jazak Allahu khayra for sharing....:hijabi:

wasalam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

And it humbles us more to strive in the way of Allah subhana talla. This is so beautiful. Jazaak Allahu Kharin

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty
:salam2: dear sis,
JazzakAllahu khair.
Allah is Just, and it proves again that Islam is simple and logical even though some commandments from Allah may not seem logical but Allah always knows best! :ma:
:wasalam:

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu Alaikum:D

JazakaAllah khairan for sharing:)
Yes, generally the male gender is better than the gender of the females generally for many reasons. Just as Allaah the High and Sublime says:

{Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allaah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend their wealth (to support them)…} [434]
I need a little clarification on this, I don't understand the general meaning behind this:( please explain more.
Allah hafiz now and always:)

hassana elkoussi

Assalaamu Alaikum:D

JazakaAllah khairan for sharing:)
I need a little clarification on this, I don't understand the general meaning behind this:( please explain more.
Allah hafiz now and always:)

:salam2: dear sister,

I'm quoting this from one of Dr Zakir Naik's aricles , hope it helps isA

Men and women are equal in Islam, but in some aspects, men have a degree of advantage while in some other aspects, women have a degree of advantage - but overall both are equal.

For example, if a robber enters my house, I will not say, ‘I believe in women’s rights, and I believe in women’s liberation and therefore my sister, my wife, my mother, should go and fight the robber.’

Allah says in Surah Nisa, Ch. 4, V 34, ‘God has given the one (man) more strength than the other’’. Men have more strength than the women.’

So where strength is concerned, men have a degree of advantage. Since they have been given more strength, it is their duty to protect women. Here the men have a degree of advantage.

Where love and companionship from children is concerned, the mother gets three times more love and companionship than the father
. ( The Prophet SAws recommended giving three quarters of one's love and attention to one's mother) Here women have a degree of advantage.

:hearts:

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
:salam2: Subhanallah I am amazed by the amount of wisdom and knowledge Allah has bestowed upon this shaykh mashallah. May Allah grant him with jannathul firdaus, ameen. Subhanallah Shaykh Abdul Aziz bin Baaz, is indeed a great scholar of our time. I love the way he explains this hadith, mashallah. Jazakumullahu khairan ukthi

Nurain

Assalamu alaykum

jazakAllaah khair this thread is beautiful. Yes, with the advantage in strength on the part of men, they ought to protect us. But there are so few of them doing that now, in fact, they take advantage of women's weakness.

May Allaah protect us from men like that!!

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu Alaikum all:D
I'm quoting this from one of Dr Zakir Naik's aricles , hope it helps isA

Men and women are equal in Islam, but in some aspects, men have a degree of advantage while in some other aspects, women have a degree of advantage - but overall both are equal.

For example, if a robber enters my house, I will not say, ‘I believe in women’s rights, and I believe in women’s liberation and therefore my sister, my wife, my mother, should go and fight the robber.’

Allah says in Surah Nisa, Ch. 4, V 34, ‘God has given the one (man) more strength than the other’’. Men have more strength than the women.’

So where strength is concerned, men have a degree of advantage. Since they have been given more strength, it is their duty to protect women. Here the men have a degree of advantage.

Where love and companionship from children is concerned, the mother gets three times more love and companionship than the father. ( The Prophet SAws recommended giving three quarters of one's love and attention to one's mother) Here women have a degree of advantage.
JazakaAllah khairan for the clarification dear fiAllah, I get it now..it's strength wise that we're talking about here:D AlhamduliAllah, Allah has surely blessed us all with mercy and kindness..subhanaAllah, HE SWT has made us equal to men way before the so called *women libration* movements.AlhamduliAllah:D
Men provide food for the family ,women and children.
JazakaAllah khairan for the kind reply dear fiAllah:D
Yes, with the advantage in strength on the part of men, they ought to protect us. But there are so few of them doing that now, in fact, they take advantage of women's weakness.
May Allaah protect us from men like that!!
subhanaAllah, I know what you are talkingabout sister, and we ONLY ask Allah to help us in this dunya and the akhira, may Allah guide us all to the CORRECT teachings of AL-QUR'AN and the SUNNAH of our beloved prophet(SAW).ameen,
JazakaAllah khairan:D
Allah hafiz ajma3een:D

palestine

Servant of Allah
Asalamu alaykum wrwb...i hope you'll be ok with me copying this email and forwarding it to people. it was very beneficial and it cleared for me the meaning behind the hadeeth. jazakAllahu khayran and may you be among the pious. ameen.
Asalamu 3alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu.

halah

:salam2:

Jazaki Allah khayr dear sister for sharing, mashaa'Allah ,it's a very clear explanation to this hadeeth, particularly for those who misinterpret its meaning.:)