Women Cutting Hair

ya allah madad

0mm3afnan
:salam2:
i am kind of confused because when i searched for a ruling regarding hair cut,i assumed that hair cut is allowed so i cut off my hair.but look at this
QUESTION: What is the ruling regarding cutting the hair for women? If it is allowed, then how short can she cut it?
ANSWER:
In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful
In general, the major classical Hanafi Fiqh books prohibit the cutting of hair for women. This is also affirmed by many Indian Subcontinent scholars. However, some scholars of the Arab world have permitted it conditionally.

In a Hadith, “the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) forbade women from shaving their hair.” (Sunan Tirmidhi, 2/246 & Sunan Nasa’i, 5/407)

Imam al-Haskafi (Allah have mercy on him) mentions in his famous book in Hanafi Fiqh:

“If a woman cuts her hair, she will be sinful and cursed. In al-Bazzaziyya it is added: “Even with the permission of the husband, as there is no obedience to the creation in disobeying the Creator.” (See: Radd al-Muhtar with the Durr of al-Haskafi, kitab al-hazr wal-ibaha, 5/261)

The main two reasons given by scholars for the impermissibility of women cutting their hair are:

a) Imitation of the Kuffar (non-Muslims),

b) Imitation of men,

Both of which have been clearly prohibited in Shariah.

In the Hadith recorded by Imam Abu Dawud in his ‘Sunan’ and others, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Whosoever imitates a group is amongst them.” (Sunan Abu Dawud, no. 4031)

Regarding the imitation of men, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) cursed those men who imitate women and those women who imitate men.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, 7/205)

For the above two reasons, the jurists (fuqaha) have generally prohibited the cutting of hair for women. It is for the reason of imitating men; they considered such women to be cursed, as in the Hadith women who imitate men are cursed by the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace)

In view of the above, it would generally not be permitted for women to cut their hair. To imitate the styles of the Kuffar and non-Muslim women is not permissible. The hair cuts prevalent among many modern women have a clear resemblance with the styles of non-Muslim women, thus it will be unlawful.

Similarly, to shorten the hair in a way that it resembles the hair of men is also prohibited. If a woman does so, she will earn the curse of the blessed Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace)

However, if a woman trims her hair slightly in a way that she did not contravene any of the above two reasons, then this would be (and Allah knows best) permitted. In other words, there are two conditions for this permissibility, and they both should be understood properly, and not misused or taken out of context:

1) There should be no imitation of non-Muslim Women,

The hairstyles adopted by kuffar and non-Muslim women, such as flicks, perms, fringes, etc… will not be allowed. Cutting the hair from the front will also be impermissible.

2) There should be no imitation of men

Cutting the hair in any way that resembles the hair of men is unlawful (haram), as mentioned previously. Therefore, if a woman cuts her hair from the lower end slightly in order to equate the level of the hairs, then this will be permissible.

It should be noted that, if the hair is cut, then it should be well below the shoulders, and this permissibility is only to cut it slightly. If the woman is married, then this should be done with the consent of her husband.

Finally, it should be remembered that it is better for a woman to not cut her hair altogether, unless there is some genuine reason. In the early times, a woman’s beauty was considered in the length of her hair, and not in looking like a man.

In conclusion, generally it is not permissible for a woman to cut her hair. However, if the hair is cut in the manner outlined above, it would be permissible, although better to avoid.

And Allah knows best

(Mufti) Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari

Darul Iftaa
Leicester, UK

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Personal opinion coming up - - warning.

I feel that many of the times, the "imitation of the kuffar" part has been twisted now and then to suit a person's view on something.

Salam alaikum.

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Ibn Baaz (RA) says it is permissible

I think the most comprehensive answer that talks specifically about cutting the hair and not confusing it with shaving is given by Shaikh Ibn Baaz (RA). Here it is.
Please read !

Question:
I am doing a project on Muslim women and would like to know what is the ruling concerning a Muslim’s hair. Is she allowed to cut it as much as up to her shoulder or not/ what about facial hair? Is it harem to get rid of it or not. Please answer and pray my imam is strong.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.
We ask Allaah Almighty to increase you in faith and to make you content with the truth.
Your question includes two issues:
1 – the ruling on cutting women’s hair. Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
We do not know anything (to disallow) cutting women’s hair. What is forbidden is shaving it. You should not shave your hair but you may cut it and reduce its length or volume; we know of nothing wrong with that. But that should be done in a proper manner which will please you and your husband. You should come to some agreement with him on a kind of haircut that does not resemble kaafir women, because if you leave it long, it will be a lot of trouble to wash it and comb it. So if the hair is very long or thick, and the woman cuts it to reduce its length or volume, that doesn’t matter. Cutting some of it will make it more beautiful, which will please both the woman and her husband. So we do not know of any reason to disallow that. But shaving it altogether is not permissible, except in the case of sickness. And Allaah is the Source of strength.
See Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 2, p. 515

It was narrated in Saheeh Muslim that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.” (al-Hayd, 320)
Al-Nawawi said: this indicates that it is permissible for women to cut their hair short.
But women should avoid resembling kaafir women or immoral women when they cut their hair

SOURCE

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

Among all the scholars mentioned in this thread, lets not disregard Imam Nawawi's, the great muhadith , opinion .

JazakAllah khair Bro Mohsin

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
We do not know anything (to disallow) cutting women’s hair. What is forbidden is shaving it. You should not shave your hair but you may cut it and reduce its length or volume; we know of nothing wrong with that. But that should be done in a proper manner which will please you and your husband. You should come to some agreement with him on a kind of haircut that does not resemble kaafir women, because if you leave it long, it will be a lot of trouble to wash it and comb it. So if the hair is very long or thick, and the woman cuts it to reduce its length or volume, that doesn’t matter. Cutting some of it will make it more beautiful, which will please both the woman and her husband. So we do not know of any reason to disallow that. But shaving it altogether is not permissible, except in the case of sickness. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Great answer of the Shaykh, Mash'Allah!

I always think, and I think it's very true: Islam is easy...we make it difficult ;)

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Great answer of the Shaykh, Mash'Allah!

I always think, and I think it's very true: Islam is easy...we make it difficult ;)

I think i realise one thing. Maybe the scholars above assume that cutting hair means cutting hair short . But cutting hair doesnt mean cut till short.....

ya allah madad

0mm3afnan
jazakallah ,brothers and sisters.ooooohhhhhhh i got out of breath when i read it but mashallah i can take my breath now.:lol::SMILY61:
i cut my hair for a good reason .it was very lo9ng below my knees so i could not wash it or comb it .
it is not too short ,just below my shoulders:D
:jazaak:

Um Abdur Rahman

Sclava lui Allaah
i think when thay say cut they meen cut very short..to look like a maan.Women must be feminine..its my opinion :blackhijab:

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
jazakallah ,brothers and sisters.ooooohhhhhhh i got out of breath when i read it but mashallah i can take my breath now.:lol::SMILY61:
i cut my hair for a good reason .it was very lo9ng below my knees so i could not wash it or comb it .
it is not too short ,just below my shoulders:D
:jazaak:
Hello Rapunzel

wat will b the punishment if the woman altough knows this punishment but still cuts her hair not like men but goes to beauty parlors n gets her hair trimmed close to her shoulders????

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
wat will b the punishment if the woman altough knows this punishment but still cuts her hair not like men but goes to beauty parlors n gets her hair trimmed close to her shoulders????

I don't think you would be punished judging the quotes the other people have given. But maybe to be on the safe side grow it a little longer!

I keep mine half way down my back.

My question is......can we have layers (shorter lengths of hair) cut in. Technically it can reduce the volume, but is it too much of a 'style' to be permissible.

Salaam,

Believe it or not - I grew my hair out in college, one day I looked like I had an afro :SMILY61: the other day I would look like Johnny Depp LOL.....now I think I need a hair transplant because I think I'm going bald :SMILY23:

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah
interesting thread...I would like to ask if it is allowed to cut your hair in the ends, because otherwise the hair will get destroyed,, know what I mean...it is a question about mm's!

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

When we read a Fatwah prohipt something, we should understand the condition in which its prohipted,

If we read one of the Fatwah's in arabic it says

السؤال :
ما حكم القصة التي يستعملها بعض النساء وهي قص الشعر من فوق الجبهة وجعل خصلات منه تتدلى عليها ؟

الجواب:

الجواب:
الحمد لله
إذا كان الغرض من القصة التشبه بنساء الكافرين والملحدين فهي حرام ؛ لأن التشبه بغير المسلمين حرام لقوله صلى الله عليه وسلم : ( من تشبه بقوم فهو منهم ) وأما إذا لم يكن القصد منها التشبه وإنما هي عادة من العادات المستحدثة بين النساء فإذا كان فيها ما يعتبر زينة يمكن أن تتزين بها لزوجها وتظهر بها أمام أترابها في مظهر يرفع من قدرها عندهن فلا يظهر لنا باس
بها
english
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...txt=cut hair

the first answer or fatwa says

1) There should be no imitation of non-Muslim Women,

( didnt post the styles mentioned because the first fatwa in arabic it says its ok as long as these 2 condition are not used to cut hair)

2) There should be no imitation of men

so both fatwa the one from Pakistan and the one from shykh binBaz saying the same thing ITS not haraam as long as (the point of cutting the hair) is immiating non Muslim women or immiating men

As long as the women doing it to fix her hair or to look better for her husband there is nothing wrong with according to the both Fatwah.

That it !:)

salaam alikom

apocalypse77

Personal opinion coming up - - warning.

I feel that many of the times, the "imitation of the kuffar" part has been twisted now and then to suit a person's view on something.

Salam alaikum.

agreed. immitate kuffar has a variety of spectrums. it can also mean using technology invented by infidels too

hager

i think

i think..:salam2:
it's mean not to shave ur hair..
but,u could cut it..not too short...:wasalam:

sheena_9

i think u guys are right. women are allowed to cut hair but they can't cut it so short so that they look like man and khaffir women.

hope this helps
:wasalam:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

Some people PM to ask about imitation of Kuffar. Copying non-Muslims

Something is imitation of Kuffaar if its Khaas for them, meaning they the ones who are known for it and nobody else really does this.

But, if it is something that everyone does now, including majority of Muslims and it is not by itself a haram thing, then it is allowed.

Example of that is white wedding dresses. (the bride should not be without hijab infront of non-Mahram men). A lot of people wear those now and it is just a dress that people like. Just like people in South Asia have same things as people from other Religion without really knowing the origin.

So, if a man or a woman went to the hairdressers, with like a photo cut out of some dumb celebrity and asks for that style, then this is imitation of Kuffaar.

If you go to hairdresser in Muslim country, the cut going to be more or less same as normal one in Non-Muslim country . . But, there will be some styles which are strange or even hara and that is not allowed.

wasalamu alaykum