Work on a Priority Basis‏

afrarzk

احبك ىارب
Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Never save anything for tomorrow.” [Tirmidhi]

This hadith refers to those important things which if you miss doing could be a cause of eternal regret. For example, if you have an opportunity to do sadaqah today, don’t put it off till tomorrow. You could forget about it tomorrow, Shaytaan could convince you not to do it, or you could lose the means to do the good deed. Thus, you end up missing an opportunity to earn Allah’s eternal pleasure.

“Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal narrated that a man once visited Salman al-Farisi (radi Allahu anhu) and saw him engaged in kneading dough to bake his daily bread. The man was surprised, and he commented: ‘What are you doing! Do you regularly do that yourself?’ Salman replied: ‘I have sent my helper on an errand, and I hate to impose two tasks on him in the same day.’ The man then said: ‘I bring you the greetings of so and so.’ Salman asked: ‘When did you arrive in this town?’ The man replied: ‘It’s been some time since I arrived in this town!’ Salman then commented: ‘To convey someone’s greeting is a trust and should one fail to deliver it at the time he reaches his destination, he will be asked about it on the Day of Judgement.’” [Hilyat-ul Awliya wa Tabaqaat al-Asfiya by Imam Abu Naim al-Asfahani]

Salman (radi Allahu anhu) explained the delivery of salam to be required on reaching one’s destination. However, even if it is not required to be done as soon as possible, it is nevertheless an obligation pending fulfillment. Should one die before having fulfilled one’s obligations he/she will be held accountable before Allah (subhana wa ta’ala).

The Sahabah had Akhirah before their eyes all the time. This made them keen not only to fulfill their obligations as soon as possible but also to utilize the resources at their disposal as soon as possible, seeking Allah’s pleasure. They didn’t want to take the chance of losing their resources without deriving everlasting benefit from them. Time is one such resource.