Worst attack on U.N. in Afghanistan kills at least 7

Abu Talib

Feeling low
(Reuters) - Afghans protesting the burning of a Koran by an obscure U.S. pastor over-ran a U.N. compound on Friday and killed at least seven international staff in the deadliest-ever attack on the United Nations in Afghanistan.

Thousands of demonstrators flooded into the streets after Friday prayers and headed for the U.N. mission in usually peaceful Mazar-i-Sharif, a city considered safe enough to be in the vanguard of a crucial security transition.

The governor of Balkh province said insurgents had used the march as cover to attack the compound, in a battle that raged for hours and raised serious questions about plans to make the city a pilot for security transfer to national forces.

The confirmed dead were three international U.N. staff and four international Gurkha guards.

In New York, U.N. peacekeeping chief Alain Le Roy told reporters after briefing members of the Security Council who convened an emergency session to discuss the attack, that some of the protesters seemed to be more than demonstrators.

"Some of them were clearly armed," Le Roy said, adding that they appeared to have targeted the foreigners at the compound. "We are not sure at all that the U.N. was the target."

"Maybe they wanted to find an international target and the U.N. was the one in Mazar-i-Sharif," Le Roy said, adding that an investigation of the incident was in progress.

The attackers overwhelmed security guards, burned parts of the compound and climbed up blast walls to topple a guard tower. Five protesters were also killed and about 20 wounded, some after trying to take weapons off U.N. security guards.

"The insurgents have taken advantage of the situation to attack the U.N. compound," said Governor Ata Mohammad Noor.

He told a news conference that many in the crowd of protesters had been carrying guns. Some 27 people have already been detained over the attack, he added.

Le Roy said U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon's chief-of-staff, Vijay Nambiar, and head of U.N. security Gregory Starr were heading to Kabul on Friday night. He added that U.N. security in Afghanistan would be reviewed.

Ban and the U.N. Security Council condemned the attack.

DEADLIEST ATTACK

The attack was one of the worst on the world body in years.

"It is the worst incident ever for U.N. staff in Afghanistan. Mazar mobs were active in the 1990s, repeatedly ransacking UN offices ... but so far as I remember, they never actually killed anyone," a former U.N. employee in Afghanistan told Reuters.
The worst previous attack was an insurgent assault on a Kabul guest house where U.N. staff were staying in October 2009. Five employees were killed and nine others wounded.

The two largest recent attacks on U.N. compounds in other countries are a 2007 bomb in Algiers that killed 17 U.N. staff, and a 2003 attack on the Baghdad hotel that was the U.N. headquarters there, which killed at least 22 people.

Christian preacher Terry Jones, who after international condemnation canceled a plan last year to burn copies of the Koran, supervised the burning of the book in front of about 50 people at a church in Florida on March 20, according to his website.

He told the British Broadcasting Corporation he did not feel guilty over the deaths in Mazar. "We are not responsible for their actions," Jones said, when asked about the attack.

Thousands of demonstrators marched through western Herat city and about 200 in Kabul to protest the same incident, but there was no violence at either demonstration.

Long-standing anger over civilian casualties has been heightened by the Koran burning and the recent publication of gruesome photographs of the body of an unarmed Afghan teenager killed by U.S. soldiers.

"COWARDLY" ATTACK

The Afghan police and army, whom the United Nations rely on for its first line of defense, were apparently unable to control the crowd. The NATO-led coalition said German troops answered a request for help, but it was not clear when the call was made or answered.

U.N. officials in New York said earlier that as many as 20 U.N. staff may have been killed. They said later that figure had included people who turned out to be Afghan demonstrators.

An Afghan police spokesman said two of the U.N. dead were beheaded. Le Roy said no one was beheaded, although one victim's throat was cut.

The head of the mission in the city, a Russian, was injured but was now in the hospital, the Russian Foreign Ministry said. Russia called on the Afghan government and international forces to "take all necessary measures" to protect U.N. workers.

Romania's Foreign Ministry said preliminary information suggested a Romanian citizen was among the dead, the Norwegian U.N. mission confirmed a Norwegian was one of the dead and Sweden confirmed a Swedish man was also killed.

U.S. President Barack Obama, Afghan counterpart Hamid Karzai and NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen joined condemnation of the attack.

msmoorad

mommys boy
salaams to all
many people think that its that idiot terry Jones, who burnt the quaran, that caused this.
i believe his actions are "the straw that broke the camels back"
it was just one of many insults & violations that muslims suffer on a increasingly regular basis.
the sad part is that, again, innocent people have been killed.
they just happen to be non muslims.
im sure these poor Nepalese UN staff had nothing to do with anything.
the real culprits/instigators are always away from the line of fire.
Of course, they will have to face Allah ta'ala on Yaumul Qiyaamah- not to mention the adhaab of the qabr.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

Mr. India

Over 100 killed in Quran
burning protests in
Afghanistan IANS Sun, 03 Apr 2011 23:07 IST Kabul, April 3 (IANS/RIA
Novosti) Over 100 people have
died in violence in Afghanistan's
southern city of Kandahar,
sparked by protests against a
US pastor's burning of the holy Quran, officials said Sunday. Fighting was going on outside a
government building and the
city's fifth district was littered
with bodies. Police said the protesters have
been joined by Taliban militants. Witnesses said police had
opened fire on a crowd that
tried to storm a UN office
located next to a government
building. 'A machine gun is being fired,
there are a lot of victims,' one
person said. Police said that earlier in the day
they prevented an attack on
the UN office, killing nine
attackers. Protests over the public burning
of the Quran in the US grew into
riots Friday. Violence started in the northern
city of Mazar-i-Sharif, where
seven UN workers and four
protesters died as a mob
stormed a UN office. It moved
to the southern city of Kandahar Saturday, continuing
Sunday. Violence has now
spread to Jalalabad in the east,
where at least 20 people have
been killed. US President Barack Obama
termed the killings
'outrageous'. 'The desecration of any holy
text, including the Quran, is an
act of extreme intolerance and
bigotry. However, to attack
and kill innocent people in
response is outrageous, and an affront to human decency and
dignity,' Obama said in a
statement released by the
White House. Russia condemned the
'unacceptable' attack on the UN
mission in Mazar-i-Sharif and
demanded that measures be
taken to stop violence against
UN staff. --IANS/RIA Novost

Shak78

Unfortunately when innocent people were killed after this so called Paster burnt the Holy Qu'ran those who say Islam is a violent religion will point to the killings and say they are right. There was no excuse to kill the UN workers or any innocent person in anger and those people who did will have to face Allah on the Day of Judgement for that act. I just wish the violence would end.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
:salam2:

Sister Shakh78, do not be so decisive and jump to such conclusions about your brothers. If you want to be sympathetic to the innocence, be so at the innocence of your brothers and sisters in Afghanistan. Do not get your brain-washed by the lying media of the west and all taghoot governments. The Afghan people had more than this to actually become so violent. Imagine the sound of bomb and bullets the fear of being blown to dust by drone strikes, not be able to have a sound sleep for 10 years now. Any sane person will become insane. And the Quran burning was just a spark to ignite the long bottled gasoline. Please check the aljazeera article I posted the link of above or you can check the thread "Quran Burning and US inconsistency". And you do not know who will be judged on what, because you do not know the reality over there.

Mairo

Maryama
Unfortunately when innocent people were killed after this so called Paster burnt the Holy Qu'ran those who say Islam is a violent religion will point to the killings and say they are right. There was no excuse to kill the UN workers or any innocent person in anger and those people who did will have to face Allah on the Day of Judgement for that act. I just wish the violence would end.

I completely agree with you sis. It was a completely unjustified reaction, and in the end only causes to stir up more anger and hatred for those who are against Islam, more and more people will jump on that band wagon.

So an ignorant man wants to burn the Quran, so what - let him. What does his action have anything to do with my faith? He is not harming anyone by doing so. He is only bringing harm upon himself, unknowingly to him, and he will get whatever he has coming to him in the long run.

For people to then use that act to somehow justify killing innocent people who had nothing to do with this pastor's decision at all? Really, the people are not thinking, just reacting with their anger and it is leading them to a wrong way.

:wasalam:

Valerie

Agreed, after I saw what happened, my first thought was that someone who was anti-Islam was going to use this as proof of their opinions. The pastor isn't much of one anymore, his entire church left him. Personally, I think they should never have joined him to begin with. He did it to get a reaction, and he got it, unfortunately.

Shak78

Sister Shakh78, do not be so decisive and jump to such conclusions about your brothers. If you want to be sympathetic to the innocence, be so at the innocence of your brothers and sisters in Afghanistan. Do not get your brain-washed by the lying media of the west and all taghoot governments. The Afghan people had more than this to actually become so violent. Imagine the sound of bomb and bullets the fear of being blown to dust by drone strikes, not be able to have a sound sleep for 10 years now. Any sane person will become insane. And the Quran burning was just a spark to ignite the long bottled gasoline. Please check the aljazeera article I posted the link of above or you can check the thread "Quran Burning and US inconsistency". And you do not know who will be judged on what, because you do not know the reality over there.

I am not jumping to conclusions Brother, I understand the situation in Afghanistan. I tune to Al Jazzera daily and watch what is happening. I have no doubt that the Qu'ran burning was the final insult to a people who have been through so much. I understand the anger and feel it is a just anger but killing innocent people is not justified for any reason. It only gives fuel to those who say Muslims are violent for one and two it it forbidden to kill innocent people. I do not blame those for getting angry and showing it but i do condemn those who have killed innocent people on both sides.