yes or no to face hijab?

anna

:salam2: everyone
:confused: im totally confused whether one should cover face or not. scholars have such conflicting views abt it. i have read marmaduke pickthall , jeffrey lang and hassan turabi and they seem to believe that its not in shariah nor was practised initially in the muslim society. however other sholars are of the view that its an injunction of islam & therefore women should cover (face) especially in this period of 'fitna' . i would be obliged if anyone can guide me ( suggest material to read or anything.....).:)
:salam2:

cadette

Uneducated reply

I've been taught that the nikaab (face covering) is optional, as long as the neck, hair and ears are all covered. If you find yourself in a situation of people staring, than cover up.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullah

Firstly, marmaduke pickthall , jeffrey lang and hassan turabi are not proper Islamic scholars.

We look at what was said in the actual sources of Islam and the scholars of the past and those who follow Quran and authentic Sunnah in the present.

Firstly, the Niqab was worn by society at the time of the Prophet :saw:. there is ample evidence for it. The Niqab however, is not obligatory. The Prophet's wives did wear the niqab... but, at the time other women either wore it or did not wear it... Its not stated as obligatory.... and many of the scholars in past and present have written about it.

However, there are proofs for both sides of the argument, and you must go upon what you regard as closest to evidence. The Scholars who i briefly met and know are of opinion face veil is not obligatory..

Please see the following Link for more information about the Hijab:

http://www.muhajabah.com/niqabdalils.htm

The Face Veil Is Not Obligatory by shaykh Muhammad Nassir udDeen al-Albani

At same time we dont critisise any woman who wishes to wear the niqab, as it is their choice and they get reward for it.. Nor should anyone look down at those who do not wear the niqab.. its a matter of choice.

wasalam

anna

jazakallah

thanks a lot bro mabsoot for ur post which was extremely helpful .im really clear-headed on this now. may Allah reward u for that.
u couldnt have explained it with more clarity. i understand that its a grey area.islam doesnt have a rigid stance on it for which im glad cuz ill be a psychotherapist & i just dont thnk one can practise while covering one's face.
thanks for ur "uneducated reply" cadette , really ,it makes sense .