YOUNGBLOOD Days of discovery

BintMuhammad

Staff member
By Jaime A. Manalo IV
Inquirer
Last updated 03:53am (Manila time) 10/06/2007

My thinking about Muslims for 21 years was shaped by Philippine news media -- what I saw on television, heard on the radio or read in the newspapers. Sadly, Muslims usually land in the news when there is an explosion, a kidnapping, a beheading or when some other atrocities happen. As a result, I was scared every time I would hear about them. I couldn’t help but associate them with the Abu Sayyaf and other terrorist groups. So for 21 years, I carried this prejudice against Muslim Filipinos. And I never had the opportunity to alter this perception until I started working with them.

When I learned that I was being sent to Mindanao, I was excited, thrilled --and afraid. This was something that I really wanted to do back when I was still in college. But then I was worried that I would end up as one of the casualties in a bombing or a victim of kidnapping.

During my first month in Midsayap, North Cotabato, I had a hard time focusing on my work. I was so paranoid that whenever we went out to buy food, I would look around, expecting a bomb to go off. Whenever I talked to my Muslim officemates, I would be very careful lest I hurt their sensitivities. My first month was a total disaster; I could not enjoy some of the nicest things about being in Mindanao. I am talking about the seafood, vegetables and fruits, which are all very affordable.

It has been four months since I first set foot here. I have discovered many things, which I am sure many people in Luzon and the Visayas do not know.

My work involves documenting success stories of farmers who are involved in some of the programs of the Philippine Rice Research Institute. I go to their homes and interview them. In the process, I have found many friends.

The first interview that I did was with a former commander of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF). For me it was a scoop, and I was thrilled. But I was almost trembling with fear, when I was introduced to him. I thought I would never be able to finish the interview. I was afraid that I might faint in the course of our conversation.

The man had the fierce look I had come to associate with the movie character Rambo. I began by asking him about his farming experiences. But when I was finished with farming-related questions, I knew I had to ask him about the days when he was with the MNLF. I told myself that was the reason why I was there. But before I could summon the courage to throw my first question at him, I was asking myself so many questions: Will he get mad? Will he shoot me? Then I took a deep breath and started shooting my questions.

To my surprise, his life as a rebel was something he wanted to talk about. In fact, I had the impression that I bored him with my farming-related questions.

To someone who was so afraid of what he might say, his words were kind and comforting. In fact, he was a picture of serenity and peace as he talked.

I have been to places described as dangerous by the media. I have visited Camp Abubakar, formerly the largest camp of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front. I have been to Basilan where the recent, televised encounter between the Marines and the Abu Sayyaf took place. I have been to Sulu where the beheading of farmers happened. I have been to all these places, and I think they are not as dangerous as the world has been made to believe.

And the people in these places? They are far from being the ruthless killers they have become in many people’s imagination. What I have seen are humble and polite people who, like all of us, crave for a peaceful life.

Whenever we enter a Muslim house, we would say, “Assalamualaikum” [“Peace be with you”] and we would be welcomed with a similar prayer “Waalaikumussalaam” [“Peace be with you, too”]. According to my Muslim friends, that is their standard greeting. Imagine people wishing you peace every day? In fact my Muslim friends keep telling me that Islam is the religion of peace-loving people.

These people are also very hospitable. Wherever we went to conduct interviews, we were always offered the best seat, the best food served in the most beautiful plates our hosts possessed. One time I interviewed a farmer who had prepared so much food that one would think there was a fiesta or he expected someone very special. He served us grilled fish, chicken “adobo,” vegetables and lots of other foods, and yet I was there just for an interview!

In almost every place we visited, the people made sure we would have some produce to bring home: fresh from the garden bottle gourd, squash, cucumber, and other stuff.

In the office, I no longer feel uncomfortable talking to my Muslim friends. I find it very healthy and enlightening to discuss our differences now. Over lunch, we compare religious beliefs and what we find offensive. We discuss their practices like polygamy, and they are quite open about them. They have told me that under Islam, a Muslim cannot have many wives if he cannot provide the needs of their families. I found some of their ways rather quaint and amusing, such as solemnizing a wedding even in the absence of the bride. One of my friends was actually married while she was in a hospital; only her husband attended the ceremony.

My Muslim friends have also educated me about their different tribes. The fashionistas and the businessmen and women are the Maranao, the warriors are the Tausug, the weavers are the Yakan, etc. When we talk about these things, I realize how very little I know about Muslims.

Every day when I go to the office or conduct a field interview, I always feel excited. I know it will be another day of discovery for me. When I see their faces, I don’t see terrorists. What I see are humble and kind folks, just like all of us, searching for a peaceful life.

Jaime A. Manalo IV, 21, is a writer from the Philippine Rice Research Institute. He documents success stories of farmers who are taking part in the PRRI’s Technical Cooperation Project 4 in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropinion/columns/view_article.php?article_id=92905

mohsofi_abdullah

What really took place in the absence of morale is the PRESS... seriously...
The PRESS have taken over the truth and replace them with myth, just like what the Israelis have been telling their kids about muslims, who have long taken a peaceful image, until the Zionists arrived in BaitulMaqdis...
From then on, life has become a struggle, both for the enemies of Islam to try and inflict as much damage to their own history, while creating myth for Islam as the war moghul religion...
Guess, they have succeeded so much to create stir until the people experience Islam on their own... They are bound to see the truth once they experience the double standards practiced by the enemies of Islam.
Satan and Iblis are easily recognized when put to test in their own humanitarian effort. Enemies of Islam can't hold the candle when it comes to humanitarian effort. They keep messing up with guns and their so-called "cold war" and Economic Sanctions, and keep telling the people that this is necessary, WHEN IT'S REALLY NOT.
I can go on and on and on, and some USA loyal citizens, but misled, will come up to my face and tell me to "get out of my country, man"....
But, hey, guess what... USA and the British Government are two soul partners who are destined to start wars everywhere they go... They go to Phillipines, they got Abu Shayyaf... They went to Palestine, they met Hamas, The flew to Afghanistan, they found Osama...
Now, please don't you come to my country, allright... You will make us go hungry and bleed to death...
It's happening now, with oil and gas... darn....

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum sister hurul-ein,

Thank you for posting this story. I hope that many Catholics in the Philippines do read Mr. Manalo's article.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum