Your experience of Islamophobia??

Search4Truth

I've started wearing hijaab all the time now...

and the shocking amount of abuse and trouble it seems to attract is stupid.

I went out shopping one night (in hijab and long coat). Now there's a big supermarket just a short walk away from my house and so I went there.

A group of young men, about 6 or so of them, noticed me. Now I ignored them and walked on. Suddenly they began shouting names at me like 'terrorist' and 'Muslim freak' at me. One even asked me 'where's the bomb at?'.

Another thing: my family (non-Muslim) REALLY dislike my hijaab. It ranges from disapproving looks to actual vocal disapproval. I've even had a relative refuse to come out with me wearing it.

But I KNOW I must wear it as my duty to Allah! :hijabi:

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

and the shocking amount of abuse and trouble it seems to attract is stupid.

I went out shopping one night (in hijab and long coat). Now there's a big supermarket just a short walk away from my house and so I went there.

A group of young men, about 6 or so of them, noticed me. Now I ignored them and walked on. Suddenly they began shouting names at me like 'terrorist' and 'Muslim freak' at me. One even asked me 'where's the bomb at?'.

Another thing: my family (non-Muslim) REALLY dislike my hijaab. It ranges from disapproving looks to actual vocal disapproval. I've even had a relative refuse to come out with me wearing it.

But I KNOW I must wear it as my duty to Allah! :hijabi:

May Allaah strengthen you and congratulations on your decision.

I think 99% of the types of people who hurl verbal abuse at muslim women wouldn't actually have the guts to do anything aside from that.

Never respond to them though, just remember they're cowards and are more scared of you than you are apprehensive of them.

Kakorot

Asalaamu'alaykum.

I too have experienced islamophobia. When I started wearing my headscarf a few years ago, my neighbours stopped greeting me. Like once, I walked out of my house, on my way to school and I know this lady I always say hello to. So when I greeted her with 'hello', she just blanked me and pretended not to notice, which I found very rude. Also, this old man used to always say hello to me and I used to greet him as well, now when I greet him, he just blanks me and looks at me up and down because of the way I am dressed but I just ignore and move on.
I remember back around 2006, I was walking home from school and there were three kids. Two boys, and one girl. I was walking behind them and they noticed me. Then one of the boys said, "Oh look! It's usama bin laden. Gna blow up our country. Five..four...three...two...one!" And the others started laughing. I just ignored and crossed the road, where then they got rocks and started throwing them at me without mercy. One rock hit me really hard on my chest, and it really hurt. I got mad, so I picked up a rock and tried to throw it back at them and they just ran off. Then I went home, went in my room and cried because of the shock and that.
Other than that, I get the odd looks, dirty looks, rude comments. Even this lady in my gym, she is so rude to me, very sarcastic and the tone she uses when she speaks to me is different from the way she addresses others.
Oh yh, I remember last summer, it was veryyy hot and I had to go out. (I avoid going out in the summer because the reaction I get from the non-Muslims). Anyway, I was wearing black headscarf and abaya and I went shopping and there was this english boy who walked past me, and said "Ain't you f****** hot" but he said it in such a low voice so I could hardly hear him. I had the urge to react to what he said, because yes I was dying of the heat and was in a bad mood already, but I just left it.
Another time, it was summer and I was walking to school and this lady was with her friends, pushing a buggy. When she walked past me she was like, "Bloody freezing cold!"
Anyway, I face racism/islamophobia all the time, nothing new for me but when my brother or other siblings are with me, people leave me alone, just when I'm on my own, then they start on me.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

This is upsetting. May Allaah expiate your sins for this. It does hurt. The reason it happens when you sisters are by your self, is because these people are cowards. They're too scared to say anything otherwise.

Kakorot

Wa'alaykum asalaam. Ameen to the du'aa.

Very true. Like there were a bunch of non-Muslim men who were talking of pulling off this sister's headscarf. She just stood there to see if they'd do anything but they didn't. They're just all words and no action. And if they do attack Muslims, then it's either Muslim women, the elderly Muslims or little children, but they never pick on a Muslim man, unless they're in a huge group with weapons.

Lookingforlight

Slave of Allah
Judging by the stories, I seriously think our Muslims brothers and sisters in the western world should make an effort to move to majority Muslims countries.

adil_qur

regarding your experiences in the society

Asslamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabrakatuhu
May Allah give us iman-e-kamil forever.Actualy islam is all about tauhid (La-ilaha illalla muhammadur rasul-ulla).Which demands the faith that everything happens on this earth from his will.So by those incedents heppened to you, Allah wants us to behave on that according to his will.He want to test how strong we are on our faith.Recite this line on the incidents like these "Hasbunallahu wanaimal wakil (Allah is enough for me)".

Read following books on regular basis:
1.First of all Quran.
2.Fazail-e-amal (both parts).
3.Muntakhab ahadiths.

If there is tabligh heppening in ur locality or city just be a part of it. It's the fastest medium of learning and practising tauhid.

Jazakalla and request for DUA.
M.Adil

sarahlou

this isn't really islamaphobia, but one of the sisters post sparked my memory. I work at a hospital and one time this old lady, who has dementia, says to me "oh dear you must be really cold". It was so cute i couldn't help but laugh and say " Oh yeah I am freezing. Aren't you cold?" LOL.

One of my Co- Workers asked me one time why I am i wearing that scarf on my head did i get a bad hair cut.

One of my family members asked me now that I am Muslim do I have to take a class on how to build a bomb. They now feel really stupid for saying that.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
It is my choice

:salam2:
I me too had a similar experience about islamophobia.the first time my neighbours saw me wearing hijab,it was summer,one of them asked my<mammamia,aren't you hot?>I just answered that it was everything all right.everyone looked at me like I was an alien,and when my mum knew I wore hijab,she sarcastly asked me if I used to go around with the Burka all covered,and if my husband's family had obliged me to wear it.I just answered that it was a my choice and told her to stop making critics about my religion and to make accusation towards my muslim family,cause I don't allow to anyone to judge me and my religion,if before they don't inform about it.
My mum was,and still is afraid about the muslim tradition of circumincision of muslim boys:she said that it is a cruelty,but I only said her to inform herself about this and not to judge me,cause this is my life and they are my choises.If others are islamophobic,I am in peace,cause none comes to me and disturbes me.I just greet who greets me.I told several times to my family that one day eveything will come to an end,told them to open Quran and read it,I wrote them log letters about what I learnt about Islam and what it gave to me,but nothing changed,they don't hear...
But there is also a positive conclusion,cause one of my family's friend,she's a woman who spent her life by worshipping statues:she asked me about Islam,I donated her a copy of Quran and some time after she has changed her beliefs.she knew Allah.I suppose that now most of the friends of my father,have gone far from him,cause they knew I'm muslima and think that philosophy has nothing to do with Islam... FA INNA MA'A L 'USRI YUSRAN...:ma:

aqeela01

Alhamdullilah, here in South Africa Islamaphobia is so rare its invisible. There is a sense of tolerence and respect amongst people no matter what faith they practise. Women can walk in the street in hijab or niqab, it does not matter...its such a usual sight on the streets. Muslims and Christians live peacefully as neighbours and friends. Due to my divorce I was forced to move in with my parents...practising Christians....and I am a practicing Muslim. Predigious is in-bred from birth...we can open people's eyes through educating them

trying2learn

I have a story that happened today.......
I had to run to walmart after dropping mu husband off at his job. My children and I finished shopping and started to head for the checkout. There we saw my sister-in-law Rania, with her two small children. Rania wears a hijab. We started talking and we both went into the same line to check out, all the while we were still talking. I caught employee's staring and whispering to one another, and pointing at the both of us. She finished checking out, and the lady began to ring up my stuff, I handed her children candy that I had bought them and told Raina I would bring my children over to play with her children tomorrow, she said "ok" and she said goodbye as she started walking to the exit. The woman who was ringing me up said "who is that?" I replied "that is my sister-in-law" to which she replied "you married one of 'those' people, is he their father?" (pointing to my blonde haired blue eyed and green eyes children) I said "Yes he is their father, and if by 'one of those people' you mean, kind generous, and loving, then yes I did." she gave me a funny loon and said "i think its so stupid that they wear those things on their heads, it just draws attention" I finished loading the bags into the cart and replied "She wears it by choice, just like you have on that ugly broach, it's a choice. She is a kind woman, and I would appreciate it if you stopped making comments about things you don't understand and go read a book so you can understand" I walked away very angry, especially because I wonder how many people have said bad things to her and she didnt know (she only speaks arabic, very little english) and I wonder how many times she smiled thinking people were being nice. I wanted to smack someone. I love my husbands family:SMILY252:

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
I have a story that happened today.......
I had to run to walmart after dropping mu husband off at his job. My children and I finished shopping and started to head for the checkout. There we saw my sister-in-law Rania, with her two small children. Rania wears a hijab. We started talking and we both went into the same line to check out, all the while we were still talking. I caught employee's staring and whispering to one another, and pointing at the both of us. She finished checking out, and the lady began to ring up my stuff, I handed her children candy that I had bought them and told Raina I would bring my children over to play with her children tomorrow, she said "ok" and she said goodbye as she started walking to the exit. The woman who was ringing me up said "who is that?" I replied "that is my sister-in-law" to which she replied "you married one of 'those' people, is he their father?" (pointing to my blonde haired blue eyed and green eyes children) I said "Yes he is their father, and if by 'one of those people' you mean, kind generous, and loving, then yes I did." she gave me a funny loon and said "i think its so stupid that they wear those things on their heads, it just draws attention" I finished loading the bags into the cart and replied "She wears it by choice, just like you have on that ugly broach, it's a choice. She is a kind woman, and I would appreciate it if you stopped making comments about things you don't understand and go read a book so you can understand" I walked away very angry, especially because I wonder how many people have said bad things to her and she didnt know (she only speaks arabic, very little english) and I wonder how many times she smiled thinking people were being nice. I wanted to smack someone. I love my husbands family:SMILY252:

I appreciate your emotions sister, but in Islam we are instructed to encounter these people with wisdom. If we be rude to them and don't invite them to Islam properly, they will have an even worse image for us and may start hating us more. Therefore, we try to control our emotions and be patient and we make (ask Allah)dua for those person so that Allah May guide them. May Allah guide you and all of us as well.

mabera

Assalamu alaikum

Some shocking,some funny and so on, simply because you hold unto the covenant you make with your creator.

May Allah make it easy for you, means of increasing your eeman, upgrading your level paradise, make it as da'awah and accept it as an act of ibadah.

We're proud of you, be patient! " for indeed Allah is with those who are patient"

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

@ trying2learn: Wow, I must say that was handed very well. May Allaah reward you with good.

Ahsen

There are so called "Muslims" who are suffering from islamophobia.I was called osama bin laden by an indian muslim,because i was wearing the arabic dress and had a beard.I just laughed it off.I don't care.

It is him who has problems,not me.

arzafar

actually that true Ahsen. Muslims discriminate against other more practicing Muslims more than the non-muslims do.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Let's see, let's see, where to begin. I'll give an example by a non-Muslim first and then a Muslim.

1. I was on the train coming back from a late night class and I was going over my notes. I noticed a Jamaican man come onto the train with his young daughter, who didn't look more than 8 or 9. He looked at me, had a weird smirk on his face, was muttering to his daughter, and then took the seat right in front of me. He was speaking low so I wasn't paying attention until I happened to glance up and saw his daughter staring at me with a solemn look on her face. I then realized that her father, who was still smirking, was brainwashing her right then and there, muttering things about how "they're all cold-blooded killers who deserve to be wiped out" and things about "Ayatollah" and "harems" and hijab ("Oh! I see your hair!"). My hair was covered and he just wanted to make me panic. I think he literally mumbled every single thing he knew Muslims to be associated with. Alhamdulillah, Allah Subhanu wa Ta'ala always provides me with a sense of numbness whenever I encounter Islamophobes like this, so it doesn't get to me. But what really broke my heart was the fact that his little girl was taking in every word and watching me with curiosity. I was watching this innocent soul get brainwashed by a man she would trust more than any other (as we usually do of our fathers) and I knew that this was just the beginning. I pray that Allah gives her the guidance to seek the truth herself one day.

2. I was at a wedding in Pakistan. Some girls approached me and asked me why I wore the hijab. I got irritated because as Muslims they should know exactly what hijab is. I asked them if they were familiar with the concept in Islam. They stated they were but they asked why I, an AMERICAN, was wearing it. One of my friends who was with me (and doesn't happen to wear hijab) also got annoyed and stated that I was wearing it because Islam required that women wear it. The girls stated that they were in the habit of wearing it but "not at weddings." I shook my head and rolled my eyes. Lovely.

auroran

My experiences is small compared to yours...also some are really funny (the islaamaphobe's ignorance)! May Allaah raise all of your ranks, ameen.

There's some kid in my school who coughs every time he sees me. I go on the computer, *cough*, he walks past me, *cough*, and before he started this, he used to stare at me. On one occasion, my 'friend' tried to pull of my hijaab, and then reply: "So much for modesty." Alhamdulillaah she's going to a different high school, I'm only 'friends' with her because she may say something about Islaam as she did before when she got angry at me.

My teacher keeps on reminding me of my gym marks because I don't bring gym clothes. Does he expect me to wear pants and a T-shirt?! He picks on me too because I don't do things that are against Islaam. I wish I lived in a Muslim country like Saudi...

May Allaah bless you all.

aisha16

Hmmm...besides the odd looks, snickers, and glares what is there....

Last Eid some of my family and me went out to eat at this harbor with restaurants, shopping, etc. As we were eating outside this Greek restaurant this crazy woman tells her husband as he passes by my sisters and cousin to "step on them"? Lol. Not really possible to step on a human being?? Lol! Another man at the same outdoor restaurant said, "my wife asked me if theyre Muslim? And then I said no they're scarf models?" Weird...we were all wearing black abaya and different colored shawls..but at least he knew what a Muslim looked like...other than I haven't experienced blatant Islamaphobia Alhamdulilah but every day is a struggle when youre a Muslimah trying to practice the deen wearing hijab. But still we got to remember to kill them with kindness! :D good representation of Islam and Muslims.