Zakah for Muslim prisoners?

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2:, I hope you're all in the best state of health and iman as well as enjoying their Ramadan.

It's that time of the month again when people usually scramble to give their Zakah during this blessed month, where our every deed is multiplied two-fold.

My question is can we give zakah to Muslim prisoners? In regards, to funding campaigns to free them, that is. For example, a case in point that I'm talking about is that of our beloved brother, Fahad Hashmi.

The Muslim Justice Initiative is still in needs of funds to support Fahad's case and advocating on his behalf. For those who are familiar with the case, although he pleaded guilty last July, there might still be appeals going on.

Either way, I would like to know if zakah can be given to this organization to support the Free Fahad campaign.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Cageprisoners.com has many campaigns to not only help the individual prisoners but also there families. I suggest you to the website.

Sister, prisoners also need items like stamps and envelopes and pencils.

May Allah subhana talla reward you for extending your heart. Think of what the family of Dr. Aafifa Siddiqui would think about your devotion to our faith.

strive-may-i

Permissible Zakaath recepients from Sura Toubah

:salam2:
“The offerings (zakat) given for the sake of God are (meant) only for fuqara (poor) and the masakeen (needy), and ameleen-a-alaiha (those who are in charge thereof), and muallafat-ulquloob (those whose hearts are to be won over), and for fir-riqaab (the freeing of human beings from bondage), and (for al-gharimun those (who are overburdened with debts), and fee-sabeelillah (for every struggle) in God’s cause, and ibn as-sabil (for) the wayfarer: (this is) an ordinance from God- and God is all knowing, wise.” (Quran al-Taubah 9:60)

....Needy is second group, freeing of humans from bondage is 5th category. Practices are -
1. ransoming prisoners of war (War for Islams sake)
2. freeing slaves.
But Not for freeing a someone who has done wrong, And yes definitely for freeing some one subjected to unfair trial, supporting the family of such a one under trial.....

May Allah give all our acquaintence the courage to protect and be just!

WIKI: Syed Fahad Hashmi