3-year-old anointed new 'living goddess"

Waseem203

Young Muslim
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Religious authorities in Nepal anointed a three-year-old girl as a living goddess Tuesday in a tradition dating back centuries.

Matani Shakya was wrapped in red silk and her hair was adorned with red flowers as Hindu and Buddhist priests chanted sacred hymns and showered her with flowers and grains of rice. The new "kumari" or living goddess, was carried from her parents' home to an ancient palatial temple in the heart of the Nepal's capital, Kathmandu.

She will live there until she reaches puberty and loses her divine status.

Until then, she will be worshipped by Hindus and Buddhists as an incarnation of the powerful Hindu deity Taleju.

A panel of judges conducted a series of ancient ceremonies to select the goddess from several two-to four-year-old girls who are all members of the impoverished Shakya goldsmith caste.

The judges read the candidates' horoscopes and check each one for physical imperfections. The living goddess must have perfect hair, eyes, teeth and skin with no scars, and should not be afraid of the dark.

As a final test, the living goddess must spend a night alone in a room among the heads of ritually slaughtered goats and buffaloes without showing fear.

Having passed all the tests, the child will stay in almost complete isolation at the temple, and will be allowed to return to her family only at the onset of menstruation when a new goddess will be named to replace her.

"I feel a bit sad, but since my child has become a living goddess I feel proud," said her father, Pratap Man Shakya.

During her time as a goddess, she will always wear red, pin up her hair in topknots, and have a "third eye" painted on her forehead.

Devotees touch the girls' feet with their foreheads, the highest sign of respect among Hindus in Nepal. During religious festivals the goddesses are wheeled around on a chariot pulled by devotees.

Critics say the tradition violates both international and Nepalese laws on child rights. The girls often struggle to readjust to normal lives after they return home.

Nepalese folklore holds that men who marry a former kumari will die young, and so many girls remain unmarried and face a life of hardship.

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
Have they no sense? Ditto, shear double stupidity......
See how easy it is to lead people astray?

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
I cant believe people can be stupid like this ..
How can they leave a 2 year old child at night alone in a room with dead heads of goats and etc... :(
World gone crazy

waaleikum salam

LaLa09

♥Amor vincit omnia♥
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Religious authorities in Nepal anointed a three-year-old girl as a living goddess Tuesday in a tradition dating back centuries.

Matani Shakya was wrapped in red silk and her hair was adorned with red flowers as Hindu and Buddhist priests chanted sacred hymns and showered her with flowers and grains of rice. The new "kumari" or living goddess, was carried from her parents' home to an ancient palatial temple in the heart of the Nepal's capital, Kathmandu.

She will live there until she reaches puberty and loses her divine status.

Until then, she will be worshipped by Hindus and Buddhists as an incarnation of the powerful Hindu deity Taleju.

A panel of judges conducted a series of ancient ceremonies to select the goddess from several two-to four-year-old girls who are all members of the impoverished Shakya goldsmith caste.

The judges read the candidates' horoscopes and check each one for physical imperfections. The living goddess must have perfect hair, eyes, teeth and skin with no scars, and should not be afraid of the dark.

As a final test, the living goddess must spend a night alone in a room among the heads of ritually slaughtered goats and buffaloes without showing fear.

Having passed all the tests, the child will stay in almost complete isolation at the temple, and will be allowed to return to her family only at the onset of menstruation when a new goddess will be named to replace her.

"I feel a bit sad, but since my child has become a living goddess I feel proud," said her father, Pratap Man Shakya.

During her time as a goddess, she will always wear red, pin up her hair in topknots, and have a "third eye" painted on her forehead.

Devotees touch the girls' feet with their foreheads, the highest sign of respect among Hindus in Nepal. During religious festivals the goddesses are wheeled around on a chariot pulled by devotees.

Critics say the tradition violates both international and Nepalese laws on child rights. The girls often struggle to readjust to normal lives after they return home.

Nepalese folklore holds that men who marry a former kumari will die young, and so many girls remain unmarried and face a life of hardship.

i've heard about this before, a Nepalese girl that used to go to my school did a project on it and it was shocking at first. I feel sad for these people especially the girls, but you would think that all the guys would want to marry a former goddess :lol:

Amir_of_spain

This is why we salute and praise the sahabah and tabeen, through them allah gave us guidance and changed our state ie we became muslims, we left this ignorance for a better religion.

Faiza619

Strangers on earth
:astag:

People have gone mad
Alhamdullilah for Islam
How can they do that to a 3 yr old child?

Khalil2u

Sick

Asalaamu alaikum,
This is so crazy. Praying to a human will send these idiots to the hell fire. Inshallah this little girl will b ok. If a Muslim did this they would have the story front and center. Saying how evil we r. This type of thing was probably accepted. On the other hand when we wear hijab its a big deal and we r abused and oppressed. The world is getting sicker and sicker. Allah SWT please help and protect this little girl. Take her away from those sick people and guide her to Islam.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
I feel so sorry and sad for the innocent little girl. :(

May Allah Ta lla execute his command, by giving her his Light, Al Islam, Al Tawheed, and may he protect the innocent baby from the Fires of Hell and the evil of the people, and may he make her death be closer to her so that she will not be accounted for the evil that is directed towards her, and so that she can be with her Lord, The Majestic, and the Wise. Ameen Ya Rabbana!

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam,

I read they had bizarre rituals to find these girls too, which I think many societies might consider repulsive and criminal . Astaghfirullah

Allahu_Hassbi

oh yes i remeber watching a 1 hour documentary on the same issue couple of years back. There was this woman who recalls when she was choosen to be worshipped by these ignorant people. And I also remember she was saying that she will not be allowed to marry all her life...How pathetic...i mean how canthey be so ignorant dat they cease to worship her once she attains puberty? A'aounzubillah from such ignorance.

"Verily, Allâh sends astray whom He wills, and guides whom He wills. So destroy not yourself (O Muhammad SAW) in sorrow for them. Truly, Allâh is the All!Knower of what they do!" (Fatir verse 08)

Brothers & Sisters seek guidance Only from ALLAh SWT.

Almeftah

Asalaamu alaikum,
This is so crazy. Praying to a human will send these idiots to the hell fire. Inshallah this little girl will b ok. If a Muslim did this they would have the story front and center. Saying how evil we r. This type of thing was probably accepted. On the other hand when we wear hijab its a big deal and we r abused and oppressed. The world is getting sicker and sicker. Allah SWT please help and protect this little girl. Take her away from those sick people and guide her to Islam.

I agree with you, 100% true.