96% of Muslims

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I read the latest PEW report. I got stuck. The methodology and structure of the reserach sucked but we will tackle that later if anyone shows interest.

OK..of the 1000 they "interviewed"; Muslims that is. 96% stated they believed in Allah.

Dumb lil ole me. I thought if you say you are Muslim by definition you have to believe in Allah. It should have been 100%.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
Assalaam walaikum,

I read the latest PEW report. I got stuck. The methodology and structure of the reserach sucked but we will tackle that later if anyone shows interest.

OK..of the 1000 they "interviewed"; Muslims that is. 96% stated they believed in Allah.

Dumb lil ole me. I thought if you say you are Muslim by definition you have to believe in Allah. It should have been 100%.

:salam2:

Well who did the research? Probably some Westerners with little or no understanding of Islam. In their minds, anyone born to a Muslim family is Muslim, whether they practice or not.

There are a lot of "Christians" in the US who never go to church, never read the Bible, never pray, and some don't even believe in God. Are they still "Christians"? They seem to think so.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam

Very strange. Earlier today, I heard about a non-Muslim called Muhammad. Figure that one out :)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

PEW:The Center & Its Projects

The Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan "fact tank" that provides information on the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It does not take positions on policy issues. Its work is carried out by these seven projects:

This is an independent public opinion survey research project that studies attitudes toward the press, politics and public policy issues. It is best known for regular national surveys that measure public attentiveness to major news stories, and for polling that charts trends in values and fundamental political and social attitudes.

http://pewresearch.org/about/projects/

Actually very respected and often cited by media and used by the government.

But, Brother,

Unlike Chrisitians who often question their God, Muslims do not question Allah. If you say you are Muslim you have to assert your belief in Allah. Or else you could not say you are Muslim. It is a case of either Muslim/Allah or non-Muslim/shirk.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Unlike Chrisitians who often question their God, Muslims do not question Allah. If you say you are Muslim you have to assert your belief in Allah. Or else you could not say you are Muslim. It is a case of either Muslim/Allah or non-Muslim/shirk.

Maybe some in the west whose qualify themselves as "moderate" muslims didn´t notice it by this way.

Maybe they misunderstood question.

Maybe they didn´t take this survey very serious.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
Assalaam walaikum,

PEW:The Center & Its Projects

The Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan "fact tank" that provides information on the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It does not take positions on policy issues. Its work is carried out by these seven projects:

This is an independent public opinion survey research project that studies attitudes toward the press, politics and public policy issues. It is best known for regular national surveys that measure public attentiveness to major news stories, and for polling that charts trends in values and fundamental political and social attitudes.

http://pewresearch.org/about/projects/

Actually very respected and often cited by media and used by the government.

But, Brother,

Right. Well I believe in Allah, even if I don't feel worthy of His mercy at this time. I still believe...

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

You know what:

A couple of dozen posts ago I asked why people love the Taliban. A brother responded because Allah loves the Taliban.

That is one of the hardest aspects of faith to understand. Allah loves us. He has told us so. He is the Cherisher of Creation. He loves us when we supplicate to Him. He loves you because you fear Him. You fear Him so much it is a blessing.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
Assalaam walaikum,

You know what:

A couple of dozen posts ago I asked why people love the Taliban. A brother responded because Allah loves the Taliban.

That is one of the hardest aspects of faith to understand. Allah loves us. He has told us so. He is the Cherisher of Creation. He loves us when we supplicate to Him. He loves you because you fear Him. You fear Him so much it is a blessing.

Yes, it is a little hard for me to figure that part out. But I'll figure it out sooner or later.

With that in mind, I plan on attending masjid for Friday prayers.

Aroosak

:wasalam:

That doesn't surprise me as much... not to long ago I read about a group of so called Muslim artists who used the label "Muslim" to gain media attention and claimed the most craziest things ever! (which I rather not discuss here) audhubillah they confessed they liked the peaceful aspects of Islam and even admitted liking making duaa however they said it was not expecting anything from Allah but just to make them feel better. I was dumbfounded but I guess they fall in that 4%.....

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
If there can be such a thing as Muslims who believe they're allowed to be gay, then I doubt there aren't any Muslims who are iffy when it comes to believing in Allah.

Just as the brother said, there are those who are of a faith by name only. Nothing else.

strive-may-i

:wasalam:

That doesn't surprise me as much... not to long ago I read about a group of so called Muslim artists who used the label "Muslim" to gain media attention and claimed the most craziest things ever! (which I rather not discuss here) audhubillah they confessed they liked the peaceful aspects of Islam and even admitted liking making duaa however they said it was not expecting anything from Allah but just to make them feel better. I was dumbfounded but I guess they fall in that 4%.....

Yes, Rahmaan Almighty is.....! They are bound to feel better....

strive-may-i

Assalaam walaikum,

A known media technique. Search and Include the clueless, Highlight their reponses...

Astrugglingsoul

Assalaam walaikum,

As-salamu alaykum sister
why this is so surprising to you? i have met a lot of people who have muslim names, were born in muslim families and even celebrate eid but they don't believe in religion.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

To thineself be true.

Words are meaningful. If you do not believe in Allah subhana talla be honest enough to admit you are a non-believer. Do not lie to others.

It is wrong to label yourself Muslim.

I have doubts about the research. Another portrait of Muslims in America. It was of no surprise that Muslims are conservative and not politically active. And the one that got to me: they like Obama.

strive-may-i

In general, they are not concerned... the ones with a name, but do something contrary or take a contrary position ...

[applies to each every human, including me!]

Seeker-of-truth

4% of 1000 people is 40 peopple so 40 people are muslims that dont believe in Allah. Maybe when they were asked they replied that they believed in God, and the "Fact Tank" couldnt tell that God and Allah were the same.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Asalaam walaikum,

True.

I just have difficulty with research like this. If they want to know about Muslims just ask us at the masjids. We will answer your questions. The most honest portrayal of Muslims is to ask Muslims.

The research methods were kinda dumb. And limited.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Im thinking they were "Muslim by name" Like there are jews who are atheist, but Jews by name. There are Danes who are Protestant by name, but again are Atheists or Agnostics.

Allah knows so many Christians in America are only "Christian" by name. They're the same ones doing drugs, committing open Zina and yet wear a cross thinking its all hunky-dorey.