A Former Jehovah's Witness

ChebbaTan

I have no words to describe what I felt when I was reading your amazing and inspiring story. I'm trying to post an introduction thread, and I hope to succeed next time. :) Nonetheless, for those who don't know I'm still being considered at present moment one of the Jehovah's Witnesses and my personal story is being so similar to what you described before your official disconnection to the "Organization" that I am not able to express how touching was your story to me because I'm experiencing exactly the same dilemmas, the same inner peace for discovering this beautiful, coherent and pure religion - Islam. I hope you can meet my personal story too with more details if I succeed posting a new thread...
I am truly glad for you and I hope Allah will bless you more and more, congratulations for your brave and pure behaviour.
Right now I'm experiencing something that I can relate with this part of you story:

"Caught between two worlds, I felt the very foundation of my present lifestyle, friends and community coming to an abrupt change of direction, yet at the same time I was experiencing a sense of happiness, comfort, peace and most important to me, an inner strength stretching me to undertake a life changing journey. After many attempts to speak to my family and friends and urge them to open their heart to the message of the Quran I was making no progress and felt that I was simply not qualified to refute their deeply ingrained misconceptions about Islam, lest it negatively affect me in my faith.
Within my circle of Jehovah’s Witness friends it became more and more offensive for me to participate in their style of worship so I began to avoid attending religious meetings and events. It was not long before they suspected that I was “leaning away from the truth.” The elders were notified to call on me but I managed to avoid their counseling visits as well - Alhamdulil-laah. Soon friends that I had for many years began to take a position against me, turning away when they saw me, not extending any greeting. This was the beginning of a shunning process that the Jehovah’s Witnesses call disassociation which eventually leads to dis-fellowshiping. Members who are disassociated or dis-fellowshiped are thought to be danger to the rest of the congregation due to their different viewpoints that challenge the authority of the WatchTower Bible & Tract Societies presumptuously divinely directed guidance through what is known as the Governing Body. "

I am managing to avoid the elders' counselling visits too, because I know they will make as many questions as possible to try to have a reason for disfellowship me. My doubts about the JW society began a long time ago before I met Islam and during that period I had no inner peace and I was about to lose myself due to disappointment with religion. Fortunately, I'm finding in Islam the truly pure monotheist faith and although here in my country Muslims are less than 1%, the ones I met abroad impressed me so much with their correct lifestyle and peaceful attitude that later I became interested in learning about their religion. Since that, I'm changing so much in the inside for the better and I hope that I will develop an inner strength with the help of Allah so that I can take the big step of assuming to the outside the new faith I'm acquiring inshaAllah.

Although I didn't convert yet, I consider you my sister and you know better than anyone that to JW's is difficult to accept others to have a pious lifestyle, and despite not being a Muslim I felt at home between Muslims abroad on the one hand, and I just felt a fake brotherhood sensation from JW's abroad on the other hand. I wondered so much about why things were like that. Finally I realised I needed to educate myself about Islam, and I began to do that with the JW's book "Mankind's Search for God" in the chapter about what they call "Islamism". However I was not satisfied and I began to search online and alhamdullilah I'm having a wonderful learning and spiritual experience that I want to keep. Thanks God I found Muslim friends here in my country and I'm realising what type of friendship is worthwhile - those who contribute to make you a better person while you can share your chaste values with them. The most incredible is that I realise my values have always been matching the values of most Muslims rather than the personal values of JW's... who tend to be mechanic and insensitive, always charging on others instead of showing real love and interest...they just care about filling a month report with many hours of preaching, and what you do is never enough, and they make you feel guilty and they use that guilt to make you keep attending their 2 times a week meetings and their "field work" aka preaching door to door and on streets.
I truly believed once that the "Organization" would help me to become a better person and it was the closest thing to rectitude I met then, but later I realise how many doctrines they created and how many others change according to their will, that I became confused about it and their interpretation of Bible texts. They also have ways to control JW members’ lives, in a very effective way; they forbid you to search information about other beliefs in sources that are not theirs for instance, once they consider it apostasy. They work as a religion with the structure of a multinational company – cold and results’ oriented.

I wish you all here on TTI had a clearer idea of how challenging is being a part of the JW's and feel the weight of pressure from hypocrite "holier-than-thou" people there, and the challenges for naive people like me who never felt real acceptance there because I was considered "the holy one" by JW's themselves most of them having a double personality behaviour.

My indignation was so big that along with wrong doctrines I also put aside some right values I had (ex: I began to use swearwords next to my classmates, something I never did and I still fight today to avoid that one I became used to it).

Before I met Islam about 3 months ago, I lived a confused and rebel period in which I even questioned my values and God Himself (I truly regret that and I repent), and I acquired some wrong attitudes that I need to change, and I will inshaAllah.

I really admire you as a Muslim and as a woman and I wish sooner one day I will become a Muslim too, because I always admired women in Islam and I always could easily relate myself to them in terms of their simplicity, sincerity and kindness.

I hope I can learn a lot from you as a Muslim and a former JW, but we all here on TTI can learn a lot from you and all of you here on TTI can teach us a lot, especially me - a girl who is just giving her first steps towards the right path of God ... :shymuslima1: ... and what a sublime path!!! :ma:

May Allah always bless you my dear:muslim_child:

Muslimah4truth

When I posted my story of how I converted to Islam, I was completely unprepared for the outpouring of so many kind and supportive words and the candid disclosures some of you have shared in response. Many of you shared personal challenges much like my own which reminds those of us who are former Christians that we are not as separate and isolated as some would like for us to feel. Your comments have touched my heart like nothing in my prior religious background ever has.

After all the years that I have been a Muslim - Alhamdulillaah, one of the insights that has stood out to me the most is how limited Christianity’s knowledge is especially regarding Allah’s swt attributes. The most Merciful, The Most Compassionate, The All-knowing and yet beyond human imagination. When I was locked in mis-guidance we were taught that the name, “Jehovah” being God’s name was what distinguished Jehovah’s Witnesses from the rest of Christianity. They take pride in knowing God’s name as if it sets them apart and therefore places them in a favored position before God. But the name Jehovah in its original form of four Hebrew letters referred to as the tetragrammaton was without vowels and so the consonants were translated into modern English as YHWH or JHVH. From there the vowels were a guess and the name Jehovah was eventually agreed on. The accurate and true pronunciation is not known and yet it is an earmark of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Societies religion. Their agreed-upon name says nothing of Allah’s swt attributes. Allah speaks the truth when He says in Surah 39 az-Zumar 67 “They have not appraised Allah with true appraisal.”
The guidance of Islam indeed sets people free from one arbitrary name with a vague meaning. Allah swt has an infinite number of names-100 less one that He makes known to us in one hadith in order that we may gain appreciation of His perfect & divine attributes - Alhamdulillaah! If Islam were to deliver me out of the darkness of Christianity with only this knowledge I would not be able to contemplate the depth of each of those names within my lifetime. When I learned of Allah’s many Glorious names I felt as if someone had poured hundreds of diamonds into my hand. Surah 7 al-Araf 180 “And to Allah belongs the most beautiful names, so invoke Him by them.” It made me think and act differently just knowing them. The Watcher, Ar-Raqeeb who is ever in observation, reminds us that we are never alone, never free to engage in any activity but that it will be witnessed and recorded. Surah 6 al-Anam 59 “And with Him are the keys of the unseen, none know them except Him. And He knows what is on the land and in the sea. Not a leaf falls but that He knows it. And no grain is there within the darkness of the earth and no moist or dry thing but that it is written in a clear record.” What a sublime comfort to know that no injustice will go unaddressed. What a comfort to know that He looks deep into the hearts of man, and guides those who seek Him. Like a seed being drawn up out of the soil to unfold it’s leaves towards the sun and eventually bear fruit.

My dear brothers and sisters in Islam, you have no idea how your up-building responses to my introductory post have moved and reminded me of the invaluable gift of guidance. I can’t imagine existence without Islam and without good believers like yourselves whom have replaced my blood family and friends with ones that are better. Thank-you again for the encouragement and may Allah swt reward you and your families with increased faith, opportunities to make da’wah to the lost and the attainment of Jannah.

D.Ahmed

Believer
Salaam Sister

I think your story will be very inspiring to Muslims and non-Muslims alike Inshallah specially to those who are curious about Islam this is just what they need because you have written it down beautifully in detail.

May Allah keep us all on the straight and true path of Islam always.

ChebbaTan

When I posted my story of how I converted to Islam, I was completely unprepared for the outpouring of so many kind and supportive words and the candid disclosures some of you have shared in response. Many of you shared personal challenges much like my own which reminds those of us who are former Christians that we are not as separate and isolated as some would like for us to feel. Your comments have touched my heart like nothing in my prior religious background ever has.

After all the years that I have been a Muslim - Alhamdulillaah, one of the insights that has stood out to me the most is how limited Christianity’s knowledge is especially regarding Allah’s swt attributes. The most Merciful, The Most Compassionate, The All-knowing and yet beyond human imagination. When I was locked in mis-guidance we were taught that the name, “Jehovah” being God’s name was what distinguished Jehovah’s Witnesses from the rest of Christianity. They take pride in knowing God’s name as if it sets them apart and therefore places them in a favored position before God. But the name Jehovah in its original form of four Hebrew letters referred to as the tetragrammaton was without vowels and so the consonants were translated into modern English as YHWH or JHVH. From there the vowels were a guess and the name Jehovah was eventually agreed on. The accurate and true pronunciation is not known and yet it is an earmark of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Societies religion. Their agreed-upon name says nothing of Allah’s swt attributes. Allah speaks the truth when He says in Surah 39 az-Zumar 67 “They have not appraised Allah with true appraisal.”
The guidance of Islam indeed sets people free from one arbitrary name with a vague meaning. Allah swt has an infinite number of names-100 less one that He makes known to us in one hadith in order that we may gain appreciation of His perfect & divine attributes - Alhamdulillaah! If Islam were to deliver me out of the darkness of Christianity with only this knowledge I would not be able to contemplate the depth of each of those names within my lifetime. When I learned of Allah’s many Glorious names I felt as if someone had poured hundreds of diamonds into my hand. Surah 7 al-Araf 180 “And to Allah belongs the most beautiful names, so invoke Him by them.” It made me think and act differently just knowing them. The Watcher, Ar-Raqeeb who is ever in observation, reminds us that we are never alone, never free to engage in any activity but that it will be witnessed and recorded. Surah 6 al-Anam 59 “And with Him are the keys of the unseen, none know them except Him. And He knows what is on the land and in the sea. Not a leaf falls but that He knows it. And no grain is there within the darkness of the earth and no moist or dry thing but that it is written in a clear record.” What a sublime comfort to know that no injustice will go unaddressed. What a comfort to know that He looks deep into the hearts of man, and guides those who seek Him. Like a seed being drawn up out of the soil to unfold it’s leaves towards the sun and eventually bear fruit.

My dear brothers and sisters in Islam, you have no idea how your up-building responses to my introductory post have moved and reminded me of the invaluable gift of guidance. I can’t imagine existence without Islam and without good believers like yourselves whom have replaced my blood family and friends with ones that are better. Thank-you again for the encouragement and may Allah swt reward you and your families with increased faith, opportunities to make da’wah to the lost and the attainment of Jannah.

Mashallah, this post you wrote was just the answer I was waiting for.
I was about to post a new thread about my doubts for using the name of God in the Hebrew Scriptures - agreed to be Jehovah according to the vowels of the Tetragramaton (YHVH) - and which, according to the Watchtower Society, this name means something like "He causes that it cames to be" what is supposed to refer to the infinite power of God. However, after so many years listening that God is only a title and that we should use it as His personal name so that we could distinguish God from other so-called gods, I can't avoid an unconfortable feeling of guilt for not using it anymore as I did, even though I know this is not logic or good to my faith. This happens due to the brainwash I'd gone to believe that is a huge sin to avoid to pronounce it, and that humans can only be saved if they pronounce it.
I totally agree that the name Jehovah became an earmark for the Watchtower Society, and they give too much importance to the name of God as if the name itself was more important than God's qualities: JW's aren't able to realise that the term "God's name" actually refers to God Himself.

Once again, thanks a lot because this has been a big issue to me, and I know it will continue to be for a while... My mind is still confused with this but your help is a big first step to make it clear about this.
May Allah swt guide me with His light to the understanding of the right path to submit to Him :tti_sister:

wannabe_muttaqi

A MUSLIM BROTHER
Assalamu Alaikum

:salam2: ,
Mashallah it is a very touching story. Subhanallah!!!!!! ALLAH SWT guides whom HE wills. I inspired me a lot. Thanks for sharing. May AllAH SWT give you the best of knowledge. Ameen.

:wasalam:

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
:salam2:
Assalam-o-alikum sister,

My heartiest congratulations to you on accepting Islam. :ma:
This was such a special blessing of Allah SWT that He pulled you out from the den of darkness and brought you to the light.

I have a feeling that your thread and your story will help a lot of peole. It has already provided help to sister ChebbaTan.

It was such an honour to read your post.

May Allah SWT protect you and help you in staying on the right path and grant you Jannah Al-Firdous in the hereafter. Ameen !
If you can then please remember us in your dua too.
:wasalam:

shichemlydia

good story

salam alikoum,
very inspiring story, machae allah; jazaki allaho for sharing this with us, verily allah swt guides whom he wills....may allah grant you the straight path, and guide you to a happy life ammen,
wa salam alikoum

almanar

Seeking Allah's Love
Assalamualaikum sister.
Thank you for sharing this stroy with us.
May Allah increase your iman, living in this world with iman and die with iman in Him.
Ameen.

Imad

Assalamoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

A beautifull revert story and very powerfull, thank you for sharing

Fi amanillah

Wassalamoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

Imad

beautiful is islam

:salam2:
allah akbar.
my sister that was so beutful. really if you ever feel lonly and need ppl to talk to. we are all here for you. we are all ppl who never been through what you have been through and ppl who have been though and all of us love you and are here for you.:hearts:

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum sister -

As this was written half a year ago and it seems there've only been 5 posts by you, I'm surely hoping and praying that you still come back and see us from time to time.

Firstly let me say what a treat it was to read such a beautifully written post! After all the "lolz" and "dis" and "dats" all over the 'net its such a breath of fresh air to read one written properly! Allahu Akbar!

And that only helps to see how your absolutely amazing your post is! I am quite familiar with the J.W. group, and have to put up with them here at my job too. Its wonderful to see you come to the ummah. I've got so many other comments to make but... lets just leave it at ALLAHU AKBAR!

jundulah

i have read so many other revert stories,this one has touched me imediately.
i khow deep in my heart that ALLAH'S noor has touched you, keep holding on to it,for there is a pumpy road ahead.and you will need to turn into him,every minute&every second of your life.may ALLAAH make us all meet in jannah. aaamiin......

aless

welcome!!

assalamu alaykom wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh dear sister
jazakiAllahu khairan for sharing your story!
beautiful!! i almost cried!!:ma:
welcome to the site
I am a revert as well
1 year and few months

:hearts::hearts:

alhamdulillah

Julie1134

Mash'Allah very beautiful story. This sounds much like my life as a convert alone in a town with no Muslims. It is an everyday struggle. I have found peace in reading your story. As'salamu alaikum

krackpot

slave warrior caged
"Allah guideth whomever he wills"............welcome to the biggest brotherhood in whole world.. jazakallah for posting :)

sahen

Allahu akbar Allahu akbar Allahu akbar

Aslamu alyki sister

I don't even know what to say. That was a very good story. Wallahi it brought tears to my eyes and i don't get tears in my eyes that easly unless im reading the Quran or listening to it. May Allah make it easy on you. And Thank you for posting your story.

hana*

what a beautiful story, i am absolutley lost for words and have goosebumps all over. im always amazed whenever i read convert stories- each so unique in their own way. truely Allah guides whom He wills. the Quran is the Miracle of miracles and leaves not an ounce of doubt of its authenticity- even those who do not believe speak highly of it and can not find a single error or contradiction in it.

All praise to Allah for the blessing of Islam, and sufficient is it as a blessing.

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
Ma Sha'a Allah !!
I really enjoyed reading your story , May Allah bless you my sister
I see you are not here for a long time , I ask Allah to protect you wherever you are .
:)