A question about maghrib salah and salah.

~Ali_

Fixing da foundation
Assalamualaikum my dear brothers and sisters in Islam - it has been awhile since I last made a thread :)

Question about maghrib salah =

Why do some people say maghrib is:
3fard
2sunnah
2 nawafil

and some say:

2 sunnah (or is it nawwafil?)
3 fard
2 sunnah (or is it nawwafil?)

Question about salah =

In the sitting position (forgot the name) whats the evidence for moving the finger?

JazakAllah khair for taking your time to read this and in advance for your help!

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:

Question about maghrib salah = it could be due to different schools of thoughs (hanafi, shafi). in hanafi..there are no sunnahs before maghrib fard.

Question about salah = sitting position is called "tashahhud". there are some solid evidences about moving fingerwhich i cant recall here. :)

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
:salam2: Brothers,

Al Sunnan Al Rawatib (Sunnah Prayers associated with Fardh Prayers)
What is the structure of the obligatory prayers?
For example for Fajr prayers, are there two Farz rakats and two sunnat. Similarly for Zuhr, are there 4 farz and 2 sunnat. For Ashr, are there 4 farz and 2 sunnat; for Magribh are there 3 farz rakat and 2 sunnat. Lastly, for Isha are there 4 farz and 2 sunnat?
Am I correct in my assumption and if not would you kindly let me know to the correct structure?

Praise be to Allah;

The answer to your question is a Hadith by the Prophet (May peace and blessings be upon him) in which he said:

"Allaah will build a house in Heaven for whoever is diligent in observing 12 Sunnah Rak'aat (as follows): 4 Rak'aat before and 2 after the Dhuhr (Midday) Prayer, 2 after the Maghrib (Sunset Prayer), 2 after the ‘Ishaa’ (Evening) Prayer and 2 before the Fajr (Dawn) Prayer." Hadith sahih narrated by at-Tirmidhi No. 379 and by others. Hadith No. 6183 in Sahih al-Jaami’.

‘Anbasah ibn Abi Sufyan quoted Umm Habibah as saying "Allaah’s Messenger (May peace and blessings be upon him) said:

"A house will be built in Heaven for one who prays 12 Rak'aat in a day and evening as follows: 4 Rak'aat before and 2 after the Dhuhr Prayer, 2 after the Maghrib Prayer, 2 after the ‘Ishaa’ Prayer and 2 before the Fajr Prayer." Narrated by at-Tirmizi under No. 380. He said: The Hadith narrated by ‘Anbasah quoting Umm Habibah in this chapter is a hassan and sahih hadith. It is under No. 6362 in Sahih al-Jaami’.

The ‘Asr (Late-Afternoon) Prayer has no routine Sunnah (basic recommended voluntary prayer). However, it is mustahab (preferable and recommended) that one prays 4 Rak'aat before the ‘Asr Prayer. The 4 Rak'ahs are of less reward and significance in importance of adhering to them compared to the "sunnan al-rawaatib" described above. The 4 Rak'ahs are the ones intended by the Prophet (May peace and blessings be upon him) in saying: "May Allaah have mercy on one who prays 4 raka’aat before the ‘Asr Prayer." Narrated by at-Tirmidhi no. 395 and he declared it a hassan and ghareeb Hadith. Al-Albany rated the Hadith as hassan in Sahih al-Jami’ No. 3493.
All the foregoing 4-Rak'ah voluntary prayers are to be prayed two at a time according to Imam ash-Shafi’i and Imam Ahmad.

Allaah, the Exalted, knows best.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
Prayer between Maghrib and ‘Isha’
Is it true that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed six rak’ahs in the Sunnah prayer of Maghrib?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The regular Sunnah prayer of Maghrib is two rak’ahs only. See the answer to question no. 1048.

But there is a report concerning the virtue of praying six rak’ahs after Maghrib. Al-Tirmidhi (435) and Ibn Majaah (1167) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever prays six rak’ahs after Maghrib and does not say anything bad in between them, will have a reward equal to the worship of twelve years.”

Al-Tirmidhi said: This hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah is a ghareeb hadeeth which we know only from the hadeeth of Zayd ibn al-Hubaab from ‘Umar ibn Abi Khath’am. I heard Muhammad ibn Ismaa’eel [al-Bukhaari] say: ‘Umar ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Abi Khath’am is munkar al-hadeeth (i.e., his hadeeth is to be rejected), and he classed it as da’eef jiddan (very weak).

Al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Da’eef al-Tirmidhi: It is da’eef jiddan (very weak).

There are other ahaadeeth which encourage praying between Maghrib and ‘Isha’, but they are all weak.

See: Da’eef al-Targheeb wa’l-Tarheeb (332, 333, 334, 335).

But it is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did pray between Maghrib and ‘Isha’.

Ahmad (22926) narrated that Hudhayfah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and prayed Maghrib with him. When he had finished the prayer, he stood and prayed, and he kept praying until he prayed ‘Isha’. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel (470).

It is also proven from some of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) that they used to pray between Maghrib and ‘Isha’. Abu Dawood (1321) narrated that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said, concerning the verse “Their sides forsake their beds, to invoke their Lord in fear and hope, and they spend (in charity in Allaah’s Cause) out of what We have bestowed on them” [al-Sajdah 32:16]: They used to wake up [according to another report: pray naafil] between Maghrib and ‘Isha’. Al-Hasan used to say: Qiyaam al-layl. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Ibn Mardawayh narrated in his Tafseer that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said concerning this verse: They would pray between Maghrib and ‘Isha’. Al-‘Iraqi said: Its isnaad is jayyid. Quoted from ‘Awn al-Ma’bood.

Al-Shawkaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Nayl al-Awtaar (3/68): The verses and ahaadeeth quoted concerning this matter indicate that it is prescribed to pray a great deal between Maghrib and ‘Isha’. Although most of the ahaadeeth are da’eef (weak), they carry some weight when taken all together, especially with regard to virtuous actions. Al-‘Iraqi said: Among the Sahaabah who used to pray between Maghrib and ‘Isha’ were ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr, Salmaan al-Faarisi, Ibn ‘Umar, Anas ibn Maalik and some of the Ansaar. Among the Taabi’een were al-Aswad ibn Yazeed, Abu ‘Uthmaan al-Nahdi, Ibn Abi Maleekah, Sa’eed ibn Jubayr, Muhammad ibn al-Munkadir, Abu Haatim, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Sakhbarah, ‘Ali ibn al-Husayn, Abu ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Habali, Shurayh al-Qaadi, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Maghfal and others. Among the imams there was Sufyaan al-Thawri. End quote.

Based on this, it is mustahabb to pray between Maghrib and ‘Isha, without specifying a set number of rak’ahs.

And Allaah knows best.

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
Moving the finger during Tashahhud
I've seen people move their finger up and down during tashahud. Is this Sunna?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

It is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to point with his index finger and move it during the tashahhud when praying.

The scholars differed concerning that and there are several points of view.

1 – The Hanafis say that the finger should be raised when saying “Laa (no)” in the phrase “Ash-hadu an laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (I bear witness that there is no god except Allaah)” and it should be lowered when saying, “ill-Allaah (except Allaah).”

2 – The Shaafa’is say that it should be raised when saying “ill-Allaah.”

3 – The Maalikis say that it should be moved right and left until one finishes the prayer.

4 – The Hanbalis say that one should point with the finger when saying the name of Allaah, without moving it.

Shaykh al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: There is no basis for any of these definitions and manners in the Sunnah. The closest of them to the correct view is the Hanbali view, were it not that they limited raising the finger to when saying the name of Allaah.

Tamaam al-Minnah, p. 223.

Secondly:

With regard to the evidence concerning this issue:

(a) It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn al-Zubayr said: When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sat during the prayer, he would place his left foot between his thigh and calf, and tuck his right foot underneath him, and place his left hand on his left knee, and place his right hand on his right thigh, and point with his finger.

Narrated by Muslim, 579.

In al-Nasaa’i (1270) and Abu Dawood (989) it says: “He used to point with his finger when making du’aa’ but he did not move it.”

This addition – “but he did not move it” – was classed as da’eef by Ibn al-Qayyim in Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1/238. It was also classed as da’eef by al-Albaani in Tamaam al-Minnah, p. 218.

(b) It was narrated that Waa’il ibn Hajar said: I said: I will certainly watch how the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prays. So I watched him and he stood up and said takbeer (“Allaahu akbar”), and raised his hands until they were level with his ears. Then he placed his right hand on his left hand, wrist and lower forearm. When he wanted to bow, he raised his hands likewise, and put his hands on his knees, and when he raised his head he raised his hands likewise. Then he prostrated and put his hands level with his ears, then he sat with his left foot tucked underneath him and put his left hand on his left thigh and knee, and he put the edge of his right elbow on his right thigh. Then he held two of his fingers and made a circle, then he raised his forefinger and moved it, making du’aa’ with it.

Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 889; classed as saheeh by Ibn Khuzaymah, 1/354; Ibn Maajah, 5/170; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 367.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen quoted this hadeeth – “moving it, making du’aa’ with it” – as evidence that moving the forefinger during the tashahhud should be done with every phrase of the du’aa’. He said in al-Sharh al-Mumti’:

The Sunnah indicates that he should point with it when making du’aa’, because the wording of the hadeeth is “moving it, making du’aa’ with it”. So every time you make du’aa’, move your finger thus indicating the exalted nature of the One to Whom you are addressing your du’aa’s. So we say:

“Al-salaamu ‘alayka ayyuha’l-Nabiyyu (peace be upon you, O Prophet)” – you should point your finger because this salaam is a kind of du’aa’. “Al-salaamu ‘alayna (peace be upon us)” – you should point your finger. “Allaahumma salli ‘ala Muhammad (O Allaah, send blessings upon Muhammad)” – you should point your finger. “Allaahumma baarik ‘ala Muhammad) O Allaah, send blessings upon Muhammad)” – you should point your finger. ‘A’oodhu Billaahi min ‘adhaab jahannam (I seek refuge with Allaah from the torment of Hell)” – you should point your finger. “Wa min ‘adhaab al-qabr (and from the torment of the grave)” – you should point your finger. “Wa min fitnat il-mahya wa’l-mamaat (and from the trials of life and death)” – you should point your finger. “Wa min fitnat il-maseeh il-dajjaal (and from the tribulation of the Dajjaal) – you should point your finger. Every time you make du’aa’ you should point your finger, indicating the greatness of the One to Whom you are making du’aa’. This is closer to the Sunnah. End quote.

Thirdly:

It is Sunnah when pointing to look at your finger.

Al-Nawawi said:

The Sunnah is not to let your gaze go beyond the pointing finger. There is a saheeh hadeeth concerning this in Sunan Abi Dawood. You should point in the direction of the qiblah and intend when pointing to affirm the Oneness of Allaah and exclusive devotion to Him.

Sharh Muslim, 5/81.

The hadeeth to which al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) referred is the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn al-Zubayr quoted above. The version narrated by Abu Dawood is (989): “And he should not let his gaze go beyond his pointing finger.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Fourthly:

It is Sunnah to point with it towards the qiblah.

It was narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar that he saw a man moving pebbles with his hand whilst he was praying. When he finished, ‘Abd-Allaah said to him: “Do not move pebbles whilst you are praying, for that comes from the Shaytaan. Rather do what the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do. He put his right hand on his thigh and pointed with the finger that is next to the thumb towards the qiblah, and he fixed his gaze on it.” Then he said: “This is what I saw the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) doing.” Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 1160; Ibn Khuzaymah, 1/355; Ibn Hibbaan, 5/273. classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Nasaa’i.

Fifthly:

Bending the finger slightly when pointing was mentioned in the hadeeth of Numayr al-Khuzaa’i, narrated by A u Dawood, 991, and al-Nasaa’i, 1275.

But this is a da’eef (weak) hadeeth.

See Tamaam al-Minnah by al-Albaani p. 222.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
Prayer between Maghrib and ‘Isha’
Is it true that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed six rak’ahs in the Sunnah prayer of Maghrib?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The regular Sunnah prayer of Maghrib is two rak’ahs only. See the answer to question no. 1048.

But there is a report concerning the virtue of praying six rak’ahs after Maghrib. Al-Tirmidhi (435) and Ibn Majaah (1167) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever prays six rak’ahs after Maghrib and does not say anything bad in between them, will have a reward equal to the worship of twelve years.”

Al-Tirmidhi said: This hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah is a ghareeb hadeeth which we know only from the hadeeth of Zayd ibn al-Hubaab from ‘Umar ibn Abi Khath’am. I heard Muhammad ibn Ismaa’eel [al-Bukhaari] say: ‘Umar ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Abi Khath’am is munkar al-hadeeth (i.e., his hadeeth is to be rejected), and he classed it as da’eef jiddan (very weak).

Al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Da’eef al-Tirmidhi: It is da’eef jiddan (very weak).

There are other ahaadeeth which encourage praying between Maghrib and ‘Isha’, but they are all weak.

See: Da’eef al-Targheeb wa’l-Tarheeb (332, 333, 334, 335).

But it is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did pray between Maghrib and ‘Isha’.

Ahmad (22926) narrated that Hudhayfah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and prayed Maghrib with him. When he had finished the prayer, he stood and prayed, and he kept praying until he prayed ‘Isha’. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel (470).

It is also proven from some of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) that they used to pray between Maghrib and ‘Isha’. Abu Dawood (1321) narrated that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said, concerning the verse “Their sides forsake their beds, to invoke their Lord in fear and hope, and they spend (in charity in Allaah’s Cause) out of what We have bestowed on them” [al-Sajdah 32:16]: They used to wake up [according to another report: pray naafil] between Maghrib and ‘Isha’. Al-Hasan used to say: Qiyaam al-layl. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Ibn Mardawayh narrated in his Tafseer that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said concerning this verse: They would pray between Maghrib and ‘Isha’. Al-‘Iraqi said: Its isnaad is jayyid. Quoted from ‘Awn al-Ma’bood.

Al-Shawkaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Nayl al-Awtaar (3/68): The verses and ahaadeeth quoted concerning this matter indicate that it is prescribed to pray a great deal between Maghrib and ‘Isha’. Although most of the ahaadeeth are da’eef (weak), they carry some weight when taken all together, especially with regard to virtuous actions. Al-‘Iraqi said: Among the Sahaabah who used to pray between Maghrib and ‘Isha’ were ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr, Salmaan al-Faarisi, Ibn ‘Umar, Anas ibn Maalik and some of the Ansaar. Among the Taabi’een were al-Aswad ibn Yazeed, Abu ‘Uthmaan al-Nahdi, Ibn Abi Maleekah, Sa’eed ibn Jubayr, Muhammad ibn al-Munkadir, Abu Haatim, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Sakhbarah, ‘Ali ibn al-Husayn, Abu ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Habali, Shurayh al-Qaadi, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Maghfal and others. Among the imams there was Sufyaan al-Thawri. End quote.

Based on this, it is mustahabb to pray between Maghrib and ‘Isha, without specifying a set number of rak’ahs.

And Allaah knows best.

Brother abubaseer that Six Rakah Nafil after Maghrib is called as SALAHTUl-AWWABEEN :)

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
:salam2: Akhi,

Yes, they call it "Awwabeen", but as discussed in the above Fatwa, they are all weak hadeeths.

Quote:

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
:salam2: Akhi,

Yes, they call it "Awwabeen", but as discussed in the above Fatwa, they are all weak hadeeths.

Quote:

:salam2:

Jazak-Allahu Khairan ya Akhi
you & Bro Ayman always helps me out when I get cofused :)
and I just hope brother ALI dont get confused too :)