A question : Please Help!

U.Y.K

Assalamu Alaikum brothers and sisters,
I go to community college and I'm taking a literature course ENG.105. We read stuff (stupid stuff) :D. For example something called oedipus rex. It's like a play and It bothers me when I read stuff with "gods" and stuff Astagfirullah!! I dont feel comfortable reading it..so what should I tell my professor? I dont want to read it because I don't feel comfortable,and it bothers me. Also We are going to read other stuff I think like that too..not sure. If there is nothing wrong about reading it let me know. I don't trust myself, so I dont think I should be reading it.

Thank you,
Your sister in Islam <3

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Assalamu Alaykum sister,

You must have not taken Classical mythology yet. I don't think the professor can do anything for you. Islam encourages seeking knowledge but i don't know what it says about these things. I would suggest you try your best to not take the whole thing serious.

kayleigh

Oedipus Rex is a classic. Just wait until you get to the end - then you'll be really uncomfortable lol.

Just read it - you don't have to believe it. If I remember correctly its a pretty short play anyway, so you'll be through with it soon enough.

You need to understand that if you're going to take classes in a public, secular college or university, there will often times be things that you will have to learn about or read that you will think is wrong and will not agree with it. But your personal belief should not effect your ability to learn it and study it and form a logical opinion on it. There is a big difference between reading/learning about something and believing in it. Being able to do this is part of being a mature and educated adult, and if you want to be exempted from something every time you're uncomfortable or don't agree, then you probably shouldn't be going to school in the first place.

Sorry if that is harsh, and I'm not even directing that at just you. There's a lot of people I see who post on here complaining that they don't agree with absolutely everything that is taught in class so they want special treatment or they want to drop the class and I can't stand that type of attitude.

ShyHijabi

One can't live their life with their head buried in the sand. I took four years of Latin and had to learn Roman and Greek Mythology along the way. Since Latin is a "dead" language I spent most of my time translating old myths. (there was no modern examples of Latin written)

And in the end that knowledge was invaluable to me when it came to understanding literature which is rife with mythological undertones. It didn't make me want to go out and start making idols or sacrificing animals to Zeus for favoritism. :) You will realize that the world is chock-full of beliefs and ideas that run counter to your own, true faith is maintaining your beliefs even when the herd is going in the opposite direction.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

As the sister have advised just be cool with it. Please be patient. In the end you will discover the influence of Islam in Westen Literature. Dante read the Quran to write the Divine Comedy.
When you attempt to analayze the tales it becomes evident how elemetary they are. There is no sense of reality.

zainali

assalamualikum
sis i thing u should take that class , cos u'll learn about other religions and it will be really helpful in dawah work , if one knows the religion of other person to whom he or she is doing dawah will help u , as u can give points on why islam is the true religion ,

and also sis when we see other religion we feel proud of the fact that allah swt choose us to be a muslim , it also increases our imaan .

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o aliakum

i have read some of those plays and i took a course of classical civilization and maybe one of mythology cant remember i know its all weird stuff all about Gods and stuff, well to be honest :) i just felt happy we have islam that took us out of all that ignorance :)